Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on January 11, 2012
I went to library and read an earlier version of this book before purchasing it. Despite taking copious notes, I felt it necessary to own a copy of Everest's classic. Why? Because it is clear and authoritative. The question you have to ask yourself is "Do I REALLY want to understand sound and acoustics?" The answer may be "no". In that case, this book may not be your best choice. A lot of people don't have the time, patience, or need to know exactly why sound acts as it does. Everest has many examples of how to build studio rooms, control rooms, diffusers, and so on, but the principal approach is theoretical. Acoustics is a specialty within physics, but is also an applied science within audio engineering and architecture. There is a spectrum of books on acoustics, each with its own preferred context. For example, Don Hall's book is largely a physical explanation of musical instruments, while covering other topics well but to a lesser degree. Bill Gibson's books are mostly concerned with sound engineering using a DAW, but he covers acoustics because its unavoidable. Phil Newell's book (Recording Spaces) is great if you want to understand issues of studio design.

The advantage of Everest's book is other books will tell you "it's like this" or "it's like that", but never get down to why. You scratch your head and scribble diagrams trying to sort it out. If you read Everest first -- and understand him -- you can breeze by all those tortured half-explanations. You can see how they are correct and what they are overlooking. You'll get more out of other books by having this one. If you are responsible for sound at live concerts, then you know how convenient it is to quickly understand the hall you just arrived at. Deep basic knowledge is an asset at times like that.

Bottom Line: Everest's book gives you a solid grounding, but is probably not enough by itself. It is a valuable reference. You can turn to it whenever you get thrown by some technical argument about the behaviour of sound in an internet article, at gearslutz, or in someone else's book. If you are really in this game, how can you not have a copy of Everest?
on April 9, 2013
This book WILL NOT B.S. YOU.

You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...
...the usual
"[Here are the basics of Acoustics]... But if you want a truly professional job, you should find an expert on acoustics" kinda garbage.

You won't find that here.
This guy really goes deep. As deep as you've always wanted someone to go, in your journey to understanding the science of acoustics.

You'll find yourself learning the required math and thinking "OK, this math is really not that complicated, I can handle this" and you'll find yourself regularly saying to yourself "WOW that's so interesting!" There is so much cool information. You really leave this book feeling confident that you have a WELL-ROUNDED knowledge of acoustics.

If you've ever struggled to find good information on acoustics and wondered where you could really find the truth about it all -- your search is over.

Of course you should continue to learn acoustics from different sources... but this is your textbook. Your induction to the world of acoustics experts.

Totally recommended!
on February 18, 2013
If you're trying to learn the art of setting up your own studio acoustics, it's not about egg crates on the walls!! This author has created a stunning book that explains everything without all the engineering calculus - everything is pretty simple and straightforward. However, there are a lot of formulas and reading. Not for anyone who does want to really dig into the heart of the subject of acoustics.
on May 10, 2014
Everest's book 'The Master Handbook of Acoustics' is a standard text for our Trimester 1 Bachelor of Audio students.
It is comprehensive in theory, and yet is written in a relatively digestible style.

For those audio boffins who are looking to understand how sound travels, and what are the implications of this when designing and building an 'effective' production studio.
on January 2, 2015
Interesting to read through. I have no backroung in acoustics and wanted to learn some more how and why. LOTS OF PICTURES! which is fabulous. You will learn something every time you open it up if your like me and just curious about the subject.
on January 21, 2016
great book and great information about all things pertaining to acoustics. A great reference text for anyone looking to be a professional audio engineer.
on March 4, 2014
I won't go into detail about this book. It is THE reference book for those interested in sound from the standpoint of Speaker design, Recording Studio design and Sound/video editing information. Recommended.
on December 18, 2012
This is the real deal, anyone in theatre or film production or more important the designers of recording studios or concert halls, wil use this, or things they learned from it.
My first reaction was "wow this is heavy" , that can be taken in either context, as it is about 5lbs, I guess? and second the depth of the material is well beyond what I had anticipated. But it is impressive and one night danced my fingers through the table of contents, and looked at maybe 10 different chapter sub titles and I would say in 70-80% of the cases I could find something useful out of. I am not saying I would use that amount of data but I am trying to estimate what the average reader might expect, I already own the book.. I think it is enough of a resource to kept on hand, and a chance to learn more.
I should describe one of the reasons I bought this is, I have encountered rooms, usually peoples living rooms, or family rooms that have such horrible acoustics. I can't imagine how you can make them better, so much concrete or glass or both. People whom I helped in the past know I like challenges. Already from a few hours in this book, some situations are such you could end up spending thousands of dollars to reach the level, that I had in my plastered wall 4th floor apt. in the East Village in the sixties. Those old places great, if I closed my windows no sound would escape , never heard anyone above me or below.
I think for these people the best bet, and I found this here on Amazon, go to Electronics Accesories and look up Auralex Acoustic, and they had a service you could draw and measure out you room or rooms, I believe I printed the form off Amazon and you send it to Auralex. They would for free or even if you had to pay something these guys will lay out a plan of attack. I have used for years Auralex products, as well as others for years , I have other corner treatments I prefer.
In my home theatre set up my Ctr. and R/L front speakers are on Auralex, my subwoofer sits on a Subdude platform all all from Amazon. Like I say I use other products as well. I have spent in this room about $500.00 on acoustics, I don't count the window treatments I use because the save energy and drapes add todecor as well.
Acoustics are as important as equipment in how we hear, the ancient Greeks used the Hillside to make outddoor theatres in which you could hear a person speak 300 feet or more. For ages the plaster and horsehair was the ultimate in Opera House and Concert Halls. Today Acoustic engineers have a large bag of tricks.
I have been in and around sound on many levels and once was given an oppurtunity to work recording, so I have a bit of a history with this but I think this old dog can learn a few new tricks
The other option in most areas is to hire someone to come in and they will set up microphones and take measurements and lay out a plan of attack, if it is a new place and you want it right have someone who is a certified profesional design the whole space for you if it's a home theatre it is you audio and video furnishing cost and can be designed for the whole unit, most of all you want to enjoy. Good Luck and Good Listening.
Please excuse any errors, I don't have time tonight to check.
on October 29, 2014
I am involved in an acoustic project at a church and this handbook has helped me along tremendously. I will be buying the 6th edition this December when it comes out. The 5th edition has been very helpful and worthwhile.
on March 16, 2014
A good book explaining all you need to know about acoustics to make any music production sound good. It is however, pretty technical and can be at times dry, especially for those who didn't do so well at Physics in school. It is nevertheless, good reference material.