Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Master Lock Security Bar, Adjustable Door Security Bar, 265DCCSEN
Item Package Quantity: 1|Size Name: 1|Change

on September 16, 2015
I recently moved into a new apartment. And found the deadbolt to be insufficient. I went to the hardware store looking for something to fortify the door. I ended up purchasing this product and was initially unimpressed with its design. The height is adjustable based on the doorknob height. I found that after placing this snug under door as instructions indicate I pushed from the other side and the device quickly buckled. I simply replaced the pin from the top piece with a sturdy steel bolt and put the pin at the desired height. I tried to push my way in again and it was much stronger and and easy mod. I also placed the foot of the stopper about 12 inches from the base of the door instead of the recommended 15-18 inches. The reason I did this was you want to create a 90 degree angle when looking for strength and stability. I also added a inexpensive door alarm for the base of the door that is a secondary deterrent but also allows me to know the door has been breached and when to grab Mr. 12 gauge.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 455 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 8, 2016
I'm convinced this just prevented a break-in at my home last week. Someone tried to kick in our back door, but they couldn't, with this and the bolt lock properly engaged. The right angle and floor type are important, I believe. My husband left door unlocked, and tried to bust the door open with his shoulder, but it wouldn't move. He's 259lbs and strong, so we felt like it was doing its job. Very happy we had this when the thief came around looking for an easy target. Photo shows the footprint.
review image
11 comment| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 6, 2017
We bought this security bar for our daughter. For her first apartment. It has already paid for it's self in peace of mind and it did it's job. The bar was in place but she forgot to lock her door. A drunk neighbor came home to the wrong apartment and started to push on her door and the security bar held in place. He pushed on the door for over 5 mins until police arrived. Thank you Master Lock for helping protecting the only thing that matters to me, MY DAUGHTER!!!
review image
33 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 24, 2016
This is a very sturdy security bar for adding an additional layer of security to my sliding patio door. It sits really nicely in the bottom tray that I just set in or pull out when needing to use the door. The bar is pretty adjustable for a number of different entry sizes and I like that it doesn't need to be installed or drilled. It also doesn't leave the look of a horizontal bar midway up the door which is why I ultimately ended up landing with this bar. I recommended this bar to my brother for their recent house purchase and they have been equally as pleased.
on May 24, 2016
Someone tried to enter my apartment while I was sleeping this morning, and the height adjuster on the bar fell apart when the individual tried to force the door open, allowing the device to be pushed off to the side of the door. Thankfully, I had a chain lock on the door as well which allowed the door to open just enough for the security system to go off, scaring the individual away.
review image
44 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 22, 2009
I read all the reviews before I tried this product. I am very concerned and picky shopper. I thought I would give this a try. I believe the key to this product is the flooring you are using this on. The foot on the lock works excellent on tile or wood. I would not recommend this product on carpet.

One key point to remember...the farther away you have the base from the door the less strength it has. Try to get it between 70 degrees and 80 degrees. I was able to knock it out of place at 50 and 60. I normally do not worry about safety; however, I am a heavy sleeper. I can fend for myself but I have to hear it first. Let me know if you found this helpful!
1717 comments| 1,682 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 24, 2016
Great product for increased safety and will give you a little longer to respond to a burglar if you are home! If you have trouble putting the pin back in, try putting it in from the opposite side, that worked for me!
on November 30, 2016
The unit has a little metal push-pin that, when pushed in, allows the bar's height to be adjusted. This feature is what ultimately fails because when someone pushes on the door the push-pin falls out of the hole causing the bar to collapse rendering the device utterly useless. How did I find this out? I was asleep one morning with the bar securely fastened on my door. Someone who had a key opened my door, pushed in, and the bar failed. I could not believe it. Had they been an intruder, and not a friend, I would have been in trouble. As it has been over 30 days I cannot return the product which is very frustrating, but hopefully I can caution someone else from losing their money... or worse.
on July 3, 2015
Got a couple of these for my own house and 4 for my mom for x-mas and we love them. I've gotten Mom several different types of security items in the past because she lives alone and far away from me, and she's generally ignored them. Maybe because the other things I tried were more techy -- a couple cameras so she could see who was at the door/out back; some of those window alarms you can install yourself. But she's using all 4 of hers and tells me they make her feel so much safer.

These master locks are great because they're so simple and easy -- and make you feel so secure. Read the instructions -- make sure the lock is short enough -- the longer it is (more angled out from the door), the easier it is to still push the door in. If you have it the right length, nobody's getting through that door without an axe!

I got Mom 4 because she has two standard doors, 2 glass doors, and these work in glass doors, too -- you just remove the little foot and place sideways in the door runner.

I use one on the front door and if something goes bump in the night or I'm just feeling edgy for whatever reason, I have the second one for my bedroom door.
on January 17, 2014
I have two bars, one for my laminate wood LR floor and the other for the side door in the garage, both for over a year. If used correctly an intruder would have a heck of a time trying to enter. However it wouldnt stop a determined intruder the least bit from succeeding which most are desperate. I travel & use rental cars on a monthly basis, so that gives me an opportunity to 'test' it when I don't have my garage opener. A few times I got into my house with the bar on just by pushing the door a couple times (FYI: I'm 5'4, 155lb, W) . Other times, its not as easy. Recently my 6'4 190lb brother and his 210lb friend had to get in my house and actually put a hole in my LR wall because they had to force the door open. The inconsistency of it working or not most likely depends on the proximity of the bar to the door. I try to remember to hinge the bar as close to the door as possible (the further it is from the door the less resistance) & I always make sure the bottom rubber is flat on the floor.

The bigger issue I've discovered after having it for a while is my door handle has become loose. The handle is a couple centimeters down from its original spot, Im sure from constanly jacking the bar up underneath the door handle.

As of now, I don't use it for my front door anymore but still do in the garage. I dont have it as close to the door but I do keep my lawn mower against the rubber sole to make it difficult to enter. I'll do away with it completly after I find a better product for both doors. {And for the record: Yes, I have an alarm system but feel more comfortable with extra protection.}