Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 4, 2012
I bought two of these locks for both of my suitcases. I use one of them almost daily when I go to the gym. Never have had a problem with them (14 months later).

The downside to this lock is that it does not look hefty. I imagine a bolt cutter or any decently strong tool would snap it in a second. Still, I go for the deterrence factor. My bags are not as easy to steal from with these locks on them. They are easy to open. I kind of wish it would be easier to twist sometimes (mainly for the lockers at the gym) but that is not a big deal. Small and lightweight so I store them in my backpack a lot.

Another downside is that they are TSA compatible and that is why I bought them. I have never met a TSA agent with the universal key on them. Each time I am stopped, I have been required to open the locks. I have asked on many occasions why agents cannot open the suitcase since the lock is TSA compliant but have always received the answer that the key is somewhere else and I have to open the suitcase on my own (if they want to waste my time they could at least be prepared). I bought these locks partially for the compliance so that bothers me a bit...could have gotten a sturdier lock. I have never noticed my suitcase to have been opened and would not be surprised one day if the agents cut off the locks because the infamous universal key is nowhere around.

Not a bad product, though, and it is a cinch to set the code.

UPDATE: 2.5 years later and I lost my lock. I had left it unlatched after getting something out of it in an airport and it fell off somewhere. I was SUPER bummed. I know I was hesitant in my review because of TSA. The product, though, is great. I like the sense of security when I leave my bag on the tarmac, check it in (very rarely), or leave it at a hotel (in a room or at the front desk while I explore after checking out). I purchased another lock before I had even unpacked.
28 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on October 30, 2015
I have never bothered with travel locks until my recent trip to Cuba. It's very necessary to secure your belongings in Cuba, because if you lose an item while traveling, you can't replace it. I ordered this lock last minute before my trip (it arrived the next day, thank God for Amazon Prime) and I was very happy with it. It only took me a minute or so to scan the instructions and set the combination. Be aware you should use a combination you will remember, because if you forget it, you won't be able to open the lock again. I have a hard sided suitcase, and when combined with this lock, I felt like my belongings were very secure. We did have an incident in my travel group when one of the fellow tourists ran out of toothpaste, sunblock and shampoo. Instead of asking to borrow supplies, she opened other people suitcases and took supplies out of them while we were on the bus ride (she was caught). After this incident, I noticed some new scratches on my suitcase near the lock and I wondered if she had tried to get into my suitcase too. I was very happy for the peace of mind the lock provided, because if she had taken my sunblock I would not have been able to buy any more (they don't stock it in Cuba) and it would've meant Sunburn City for my pale skin. Yay Master Lock! :)
review imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
on September 29, 2017
Good Lock. I did have to tinker around with it for about 10 minutes to get it work properly. Alright I'll provide some better directions than those written. Move the numbers around a bit, to clear it like you would a circular dial. Go to 000. 90 degrees counter. Push down. While pushing down, rotate another 90 counter so the hook is straight behind you. OK, set the combo. Rotate back to close position CLOCKWISE 180. The lock will only close with your combination set. Press down, it should lock. I was unaware of this and was trying to lock it, thinking it had to be off your combo to lock. Then move all the numbers around. Roll it back to your combination and test it to make sure it unlocks. It should. Great to secure my cash and wallet in my suitcase.
on September 13, 2017
Less than thrilled with Master Lock. We ordered a two pack of these on August 10th, and one somehow got reset to a different code, and we tried for hours to figure it out. No luck. We paid $6.98 for a two pack. Clicked the order again button on Monday, and one lock arrived. They decided to change the price to $9.04 for ONE and $22 for two. Crazy.
One person found this helpful
on January 14, 2014
The lock seems fine and is similar to others I've bought previously. However, the TSA apparently does not like it. I flew on Southwest Airlines from Houston, TX to Burbank, CA over the Christmas holidays and the lock survived the first leg of the trip, but the TSA threw it away on the return flight to Houston. The lock that this one replaced was damaged by either the baggage handlers or the TSA on a different SW Airlines flight (Houston to Santa Ana, CA) a month earlier. They caved in the combination area of the lock so it was impossible to turn the dials, and I had to cut the lock off with bolt cutters. I will not buy any more of these locks, as it appears to be a waste of money with the current attitude of the TSA and baggage handlers.
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 22, 2017
These locks kept our luggage safe on our recent vacation. I like that you can set your own combination and that it's TSA approved so you don't have to worry about having your locks cut if they needed to check your luggage. I also felt safer leaving my stuff in the hotel room knowing that my luggage was locked up just in case housekeeping had sticky fingers...
on December 6, 2013
many of us have been concerned about not securing our luggage during our travels because we weren't certain that they weren't going to be gone through. And then the TSA says that they must have a way to randomly search peoples luggage as a security precaution. I'm ok with that, because not we have a way to secure our items and allow them to get in. These TSA approved locks are great, however the ones that come with the luggage are cheap and plastic. Master Lock makes metal TSA approved locks for your luggage. and if you like you can very quickly and easy change the combination every time you travel. 2 thumbs up!
2 people found this helpful
on November 18, 2016
For the price I cannot complain too much. The lock works as it should. However it does feel a tad flimsy. But whats to be expected from a cheap luggage lock even if it is a MasterLock?

The instructions were easy to follow, and I was able to set my own lock code with ease. Lets see how this thing holds up over several trips. So far Ive only used it for one 5 day vacation.
on January 26, 2015
I bought two of these locks for the primary suitcases I travel with, a nice set, but you always want to have some sort of deterrent to ensure the safety of your belongings when traveling. Master Lock is a go to lock for me, and I was surprised by the weight and sturdiness of the locks. The instructions to set the locks were a little confusing, so luckily I didn't lock myself out of using the lock because of that, but otherwise, these are a great buy for the price
on April 20, 2017
Bad lock. Thin, delicate and it only lasted me one trip through the airport. Maybe the TSA were particularly rough with it, but when my suitcase came through the other side this lock couldn't even close properly.

But shouldn't the TSA be able to use a TSA-approved lock without completely destroying it?

Don't buy this lock. Complete waste of money.