Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 428 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 464 reviews
on March 4, 2012
I bought two of these locks for both of my suitcases. I use one of them almost daily when I go to the gym. Never have had a problem with them (14 months later).

The downside to this lock is that it does not look hefty. I imagine a bolt cutter or any decently strong tool would snap it in a second. Still, I go for the deterrence factor. My bags are not as easy to steal from with these locks on them. They are easy to open. I kind of wish it would be easier to twist sometimes (mainly for the lockers at the gym) but that is not a big deal. Small and lightweight so I store them in my backpack a lot.

Another downside is that they are TSA compatible and that is why I bought them. I have never met a TSA agent with the universal key on them. Each time I am stopped, I have been required to open the locks. I have asked on many occasions why agents cannot open the suitcase since the lock is TSA compliant but have always received the answer that the key is somewhere else and I have to open the suitcase on my own (if they want to waste my time they could at least be prepared). I bought these locks partially for the compliance so that bothers me a bit...could have gotten a sturdier lock. I have never noticed my suitcase to have been opened and would not be surprised one day if the agents cut off the locks because the infamous universal key is nowhere around.

Not a bad product, though, and it is a cinch to set the code.

UPDATE: 2.5 years later and I lost my lock. I had left it unlatched after getting something out of it in an airport and it fell off somewhere. I was SUPER bummed. I know I was hesitant in my review because of TSA. The product, though, is great. I like the sense of security when I leave my bag on the tarmac, check it in (very rarely), or leave it at a hotel (in a room or at the front desk while I explore after checking out). I purchased another lock before I had even unpacked.
77 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2015
I have never bothered with travel locks until my recent trip to Cuba. It's very necessary to secure your belongings in Cuba, because if you lose an item while traveling, you can't replace it. I ordered this lock last minute before my trip (it arrived the next day, thank God for Amazon Prime) and I was very happy with it. It only took me a minute or so to scan the instructions and set the combination. Be aware you should use a combination you will remember, because if you forget it, you won't be able to open the lock again. I have a hard sided suitcase, and when combined with this lock, I felt like my belongings were very secure. We did have an incident in my travel group when one of the fellow tourists ran out of toothpaste, sunblock and shampoo. Instead of asking to borrow supplies, she opened other people suitcases and took supplies out of them while we were on the bus ride (she was caught). After this incident, I noticed some new scratches on my suitcase near the lock and I wondered if she had tried to get into my suitcase too. I was very happy for the peace of mind the lock provided, because if she had taken my sunblock I would not have been able to buy any more (they don't stock it in Cuba) and it would've meant Sunburn City for my pale skin. Yay Master Lock! :)
review image review image
on May 21, 2015
First off, understand that a lock is a deterrent, not a preventer. If someone really wants to break into your luggage/suitcase/briefcase/whatever, they're just going to grab a pair of bolt cutters and break whatever lock you put on, or a knife and just cut into your luggage.

That said - this is a fine deterrent. It is easy to set - the numbers are small, but not too small to set. It's not bulky (pro or con depending on your preference). It is TSA approved and I have had no problems with the TSA, I use this lock on my luggage every week.

It's simple, easy to use, cheap, and effective. What more can you want?
on January 14, 2014
The lock seems fine and is similar to others I've bought previously. However, the TSA apparently does not like it. I flew on Southwest Airlines from Houston, TX to Burbank, CA over the Christmas holidays and the lock survived the first leg of the trip, but the TSA threw it away on the return flight to Houston. The lock that this one replaced was damaged by either the baggage handlers or the TSA on a different SW Airlines flight (Houston to Santa Ana, CA) a month earlier. They caved in the combination area of the lock so it was impossible to turn the dials, and I had to cut the lock off with bolt cutters. I will not buy any more of these locks, as it appears to be a waste of money with the current attitude of the TSA and baggage handlers.
on July 20, 2011
This lock is small, it's basic, as as such, is perfect for luggage. I actually purchased this to use in conjunction with a Pelican 1170 Carrying Case. I purchased the case to use as a travel case for my handgun, and needed a lock for it. However, I know it's a case which will get opened multiple times while traveling, so I wanted a TSA approved lock. This lock fits perfectly, and suits the purpose. Sure, someone could break or cut the lock with less effort than, say, a full sized master lock, but that's with any luggage lock.

It's very simple to change the combination on this lock. With a quick glance at the included instructions, I had changed the combination to something more memorable, and I was ready to go. My only complaint is that this lock provides no tactile "lock" feeling. There's no click/snap, or other indication that it's locked, other than it not re-opening. If it felt like it locked solidly, this would be a 5-star review.

Still, I'm very happy with it. It's cheap, small, simple, and does the intended purpose quite well.
on July 23, 2015
First of all, this lock has passed through 6 TSA checks without any problem. Extremely easy to use, fits through the zippers with matching loops without a problem, and is small and lies flat against the suitcase. This lock will not stop a determined thief with time and tools, but it will definitely stops the casual, spur of the moment thief. It seems to be of reasonably solid construction, not at all flimsy or cheap. Setting the combination is easy and thoroughly explained in the accompanying material.
on November 18, 2016
For the price I cannot complain too much. The lock works as it should. However it does feel a tad flimsy. But whats to be expected from a cheap luggage lock even if it is a MasterLock?

The instructions were easy to follow, and I was able to set my own lock code with ease. Lets see how this thing holds up over several trips. So far Ive only used it for one 5 day vacation.
on December 6, 2013
many of us have been concerned about not securing our luggage during our travels because we weren't certain that they weren't going to be gone through. And then the TSA says that they must have a way to randomly search peoples luggage as a security precaution. I'm ok with that, because not we have a way to secure our items and allow them to get in. These TSA approved locks are great, however the ones that come with the luggage are cheap and plastic. Master Lock makes metal TSA approved locks for your luggage. and if you like you can very quickly and easy change the combination every time you travel. 2 thumbs up!
on April 20, 2017
Bad lock. Thin, delicate and it only lasted me one trip through the airport. Maybe the TSA were particularly rough with it, but when my suitcase came through the other side this lock couldn't even close properly.

But shouldn't the TSA be able to use a TSA-approved lock without completely destroying it?

Don't buy this lock. Complete waste of money.
on June 8, 2015
This is the second time I have attempted to purchase a TSA approved Master Lock for travel. Both times, after following the instructions, the locks malfunctioned. I returned the first one to REI last year and purchased an alternate option. This time, my friend did not have the luxury of time to spare. I had her take the lock with the instructions to the airport to see whether a TSA agent could provide assistance. Unfortunately, they could not do so, and advised her that they have trouble with these locks in the past.

I called Master Lock's customer service department today and was less than impressed. The agent came across as very defensive of their product, citing it as one of their most popular models which rarely incurs any complaints. She asked whether my friend could return the lock to them so they could perform quality control on the lock. Unfortunately, my friend is inThailand, do that is not a feasible option. The agent suggested that I have my friend return it to them upon her getting back to the US. I responded that she very well may have disposed of the lock, who knows? When asked what I expected to come of our conversation, whether I was just bringing it to their attention, what have you, I replied that I would like to be compensated, either by their sending me a new lock or reimbursing me for my friend's out of pocket expense. The representative agreed to dispatch a new lock, reminding me that if it does not function properly, to return it to their warehouse so they assess for any malfunction.

I sincerely did not appreciate her implication that I can't follow simple directions on how to set a combination for a travel lock.