Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Master Lock 4683Q TSA-Approved Nickel Keyed Alike Luggage/Baggage Lock, 4-Pack, colors may vary
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on March 24, 2008
I recently traveled internationally and had to check 3 bags so I figured a 4-pack of TSA-approved, keyed alike Master locks was my best bet. I'm constantly unlocking and relocking my luggage because I always relock my luggage before leaving the hotel room, so having one key open all of my luggage was very convenient. My only complaint is that these locks aren't as secure as I'd expected from a keyed Master lock. Two security-related reasons that influenced me to purchase these locks are: 1) Master is well known for making quality locks. 2) I wanted keyed lock because I figured it's harder for someone to pick a keyed lock than it is for someone to roll through the combinations. To make a long story short, I accidentally lock the key inside my luggage. That's when I realized the drawback of having one key for 3 bags. I was getting ready to cut the luggage lining when, to my surprise, I was able to open the lock by pulling the lock's shackle with the index finger of my left hand and the lock's body with the index finger of my right hand (yes, I have small hands). The point is it's not very hard to break the lock open. This is great news if you accidentally lose your key or lock the key inside your luggage, but it also means other people can get into your luggage just as easily. I should also mention that while the lock will continue to function after being forced open it may be less secure. I lost my lock on my return flight and I'm guessing that it opened and fell off when the luggage handlers were transporting or loading my bag.

All in all, these locks are great theft deterrents but don't expect high security from such small locks. Likewise, don't expect too much from any luggage lock (like I did); they're all just theft deterrents.
99 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2012
I wanted TSA approved, durable locks for my luggage, so I chose the brand that I trust, Master Lock. These locks are extremely flimsy and are a shade better than those cheap little luggage locks that come with cheap luggage. This set comes with 4 master locks with 4 keys. 2 of the 4 locks work ok. The locking mechanism has a very rough action and sometimes when the key is inserted it doesn't turn. I even tried to lubricate the locks with lubricant that is made for locks but it didn't help as much as I thought it would. One of the locks broke immediately out of the box and doesn't lock anymore. A second lock seized on the first key turn.. Glad I tried these out before I put them on my luggage. These locks should not be carrying the Master Lock name as they are pretty cheap and flimsy.. I'm sure there are better locks out there for the same price or less.
on February 17, 2007
Recently received my locks and had the chance to use them. I was asked by TSA agent if I had locks on my luggage? My reply was "yes,approved by TSA"

Agent replied "great we can handle that if needed ". Upon arriving at my destination hotel,I unlocked/opened my luggage. Inside one was a tag from TSA saying my bag was opened and inspected. Lock was replaced on luggage. I really felt secure that I was able to lock my checked luggage and would have no issues/problems with TSA if needed to be opened. Wish I knew sooner that these locks were available from Master Lock. Great product and looks good.
on July 21, 2011
The build quality of these locks are rather poor. One lock opened with a little tug. Another lock would only open with one of the four included keys. The locks are small and flimsy. I'd suggest you try to find another lock.
on July 8, 2011
Out of the 4 locks I made it home with one of them! The locks don't hold up and end up opening by themselves. Three ended up coming unlocked and falling off in transport at different times, only one made it back but barely in tact! I expected more from the company but it seems very useless, I could even open them with another lock's key!
on September 4, 2007
I bought two packages of these locks before I went on vacation last month. And had no problems. These are the only locks I will buy from now on. The quality and price make these locks #1.
on January 9, 2007
I got the master lock keyed alike 4 pack and was very satisfied because I was able to check my baggage without any hassle or delay. When I arrived at my destination I found that they were still secure, while some other passengers who did not use TSA approved locks were cut to be inspected.
on July 12, 2015
Padlocks are built really poorly. Brought a set of 4 for international travel since it's a lot easier to have 1 key to 4 padlocks. After 1 plane trip and a couple of train trips, 1 of the padlock were broken (see photo). Since we were travelling and we didn't have a spare, we had to keep using it. Guess what? The next day, the whole cylinder, where you put your key in, fell off somewhere and we were not able to open the padlock.
review image
on February 1, 2012
While these locks were indeed TSA certified, the quality is very lacking. After two uses of the four locks, only two are functional. My gun cases take two locks per case. After the first trip with the locks, one lock disappeared in transit. I was left with three locks. After a second use of the locks, one lock will no longer lock properly.

These are cheap, but required by the TSA. Don't expect them to last.
on February 9, 2012
Please buy them for your own mental peace, since they are flimsy looking and can be easily tampered with. As previous owner of Master locks, I had high expectations, but these can break with frequent use, and because the prices have fallen, the TSA agents do not bother opening the locks. They just break them and leave a note for you inside your bag. So, just for that reason, I carry 2 sets of locks, these ones for the "lovely" TSA agents and another set of old-fashioned theft deterrent locks for hotels.