Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,003 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,163 reviews
on September 15, 2012
I traveled to China with this lock on my luggage and it worked exactly how I expected it to. If you are like me, you want to lock you luggage to know that it was not tampered with when you leave it with the flight crew, or leave it all day in a hotel when the cleaners come in. This lock is perfect for those reasons, and it opens and closes quickly and easily.

No one expects to buy a luggage lock that cannot be broken, right? Anyone who wants to get into your luggage will just as easily brake the zipper before breaking the lock. I really want a simple way of knowing if someone went into my luggage without permission. That way I can hold the airport or the hotel accountable if it occurred while in their possession. And this lock is perfect for those needs. Plus it was very easy to lock and unlock with no need for holding onto a key. Very good lock.

Also it is TSA certified which if you do not know what that means I suggest visiting their site by googling tsa locks; and it is the link that says - TSA: AIR TRAVEL

Please let me know if this was a helpful review for you!
66 comments| 342 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2016
Neat, solid little lock, except: Got "TSA lock" for golf bag just prior to packing/departure. Arrived in Orlando with nice note from TSA explaining they had taken the lock off. Found it (elsewhere) in a crevice of the bag upon returning to California.So...TSA does not understand their own understanding with lock manufacturers: My golf bag flew both ways unlocked, and now I find I paid for a lock that was worthless, and now is (perhaps) permanently so-The cable opens from both ends, one end that I use a combination for, and still functions. The other end responds to a special TSA key, and is now permanently open, absent some intervention by TSA. I plan to appeal to Master Lock. I have no idea how to pose this problem to TSA directly.
on October 25, 2015
On the positive side, the Master Lock 4688D luggage lock cable is slender and flexible, which makes it easy to slip the tip through luggage lock hoops. Being thin makes it possible to use on some bags, such as computer bags, that don't have luggage lock hoops. Setting the combination is pretty simple and similar to that used by other luggage locks I've owned.

On the down side, engaging the lock and opening it is really tricky, and until I'd practiced it maybe 50 times, I never felt really comfortable. It would be a real hassle if I got somewhere and couldn't unlock my suitcase. To lock it, you have to be sure the opening combination is set. Then press the tip into the opening AND slide the cable tip toward to outside until you fell it click. Opening is the reverse. Set the opening combination. Press down. Then pinch the cable toward the center. To make things more difficult, the combination numbers are hard to read, even in good light, and are touchy to line up exactly right. They don't have much of a tactile feedback to let you know they are in place.

After a bunch of trips over a couple of years, I bought a pair of Cargis Suitcase Locks here of Amazon for just a bit more than two Master Lock 4688D, and they are 5-Stars.
on September 9, 2015
These are great for regular luggage, but also for securing bags with leather straps (see picture).
on October 21, 2013
This lock has a major design defect. The TSA agent can open it and remove their key without putting the cable back in. Since they open the opposite side you do you are left with a lock you can't close. Unfortunately we didn't notice that the lock was missing till we got home. We found the lock inside a pocket of the suitcase in this state. The lock is now worthless till we go back to the airport and have a TSA agent open their side again and properly reinsert the cable and lock it.
on September 30, 2016
What a waste of money! I bought 3 of these for our trip last week. 2 are now gone. Don't bother buying these as the TSA will cut them off and throw them away any way. I tried filing a complaint but it seems like a lot of hassle and will probably land me on some kind of blacklist somewhere over the sake of 10 bucks give or take. I thought surely using a TSA Approved lock would be fine. Nooooooo. Cut them off and tossed them away with zero regard. Just glad I didn't opt for the more expensive version.
on November 7, 2013
I've used these locks on a few trips. On two different trips, the TSA officials were not able to re-secure the pliable cable into the lock base after opening the locks and inspecting my baggage. Thus, my locks were left dangling in my luggage zipper lock holes when my bags came down the luggage carousel (I am surprised the locks did not fall completely off my luggage).

The problem is the that TSA official has to line up the cable into the base and turn their TSA key just right in order re-secure the cable. It takes too much time and concentration, which often results in the TSA giving up and leaving the lock unlocked.

I advise you to look for a different cable lock, preferably one whose lock does not require precise key turning skills from the TSA in order to re-secure the cable.
Purchased for my daughter to put on her suitcase when flying home from college. This was her first-ever flight and I had this lock sent to her at school. She set the combination and attached it to her suitcase. There were no issues opening and closing the lock both before and after her flight. The lock stayed secured and fit easily on the zippers for the main compartment to her suitcase.

The lock worked as expected, was adequate for purpose, was well priced and was easy to use. I'd buy more of them if the need arose and recommend it to others with similar needs.
on June 5, 2015
Received order finally after second attempt (First order got lost/stolen) used the same day delivery so that was a plus with the exception of the delivery person/couple. I thought I was getting blue like the picture but it showed up black? Need it for a trip no time to return. Quality isn't really what I would expect from Master however I suppose it shouldn't be to secure with TSA needing to open it. Overall not bad for the price.
on August 13, 2011
This lock would never deter a determined thief as the thin cable would not hold up to a heavy duty wire cutter, but it works good to stop nosy opportunists on luggage while traveling.

The number wheels turn with a fluid and positive motion so it's easy to set the combination.

There are a couple of white dots between the wheels to help you make positive identification when setting the combination to open it.

It is TSA compatible and the cable is enclosed in plastic so will not be abrasive to your luggage.

Being a cable rather than a metal bar it gives you additional flexibility in what you can attach it to.