Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,213 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,276 reviews
on August 7, 2016
I used this lock for a locker. Somebody broke this lock and stole everything.
review image
11 comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2014
Just lost everything from my gym locker. DO NOT TRUST this lock for anything you value. A quick web search shows that with firm pressure downward on the lock, a thief only need start with the bottom number first and work upwards. As the correct number is moved into alignment, the lock body will give slightly. Takes just a few seconds and you will make a thief very happy. Please consider this something to use for decorative purposes only and never to protect anything of value.
11 comment| 316 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2013
Master Lock 653D / B000ZOUB5A

I purchased this lock because it was the cheapest shackle-combination (i.e., just line the numbers up) on Amazon. I'm not unhappy with it, but I do have to say that the lock isn't totally intuitive. I'm leaving a video tutorial here because it took me awhile to understand the included instructions.

1. Setting the combination: The lock comes pre-set to 0000. Line up the shackles so that 0000 is what you see through the side color window. Then open the lock. There are two indentions cut into the lock body surrounding the metal shaft -- one is at the 9-o'clock position and one is at the 6-o'clock position. Turn the lock shaft so that the prong on the metal shaft lines up with the indention at the 6-o'clock position. Press the shaft down into the lock, and then continue turning the shaft to the right until you feel it lock into place. Now whatever numbers you set will be the new combination.

2. Closing the lock: This lock is weird in that the combination must be set to the correct/open position before you can close the lock. So you have to line up the dials to the combination, then close the lock, then hold it closed while you move the shackles away from the combination. Once the combination isn't showing in the window anymore, then the lock holds and doesn't come open. This kind of startled me the first time, because it wasn't what I was used to with my last combination lock.

This is a good work-a-day lock and it will do the trick for a gym locker. I'm not thrilled at having to have the combination in place before being able to lock it; it's kind of an awkward operation, and it also means that anyone else in the room has a chance to glimpse the correct combination when you're locking up, which I think is bad for security. But you get what you pay for, and this is a decent lock for the cheap price.

~ Ana Mardoll
2424 comments| 336 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2014
Size / Dimensions:

Shackle 1/4 inch diameter: When closed 1 3/8 inch from top of shackle to body of lock. 1 1/4 inch from outside of shackle left to outside shackle right.
Lock body is 2 inches wide 2 1/2 tall and 1/2 inch at the tumblers (dials)(they are the widest part.)

Pro's: This has a thinner than the heavy duty hasp for situations where you need such.
Easy to change the combo (without any special key).

Con's: I don't know how long it will hold up outdoors.
Not a high security lock, if you are looking for that. (Not that I have tried, but I feel like I could break this with a hammer.)

It works good for what I need it for. Large numbers make it easy to see the combo.

As far as changing the combo: The instructions say, turn hasp 90 degrees. Press hasp in, set new combo. Really its that easy. But for those that are mechanically challenged, let me add the following: The lock needs the hasp pressed down (and held down) to change the combo. Basically you are "holding" the part of the lock that says "open" in place while moving the number dials to a new position. If you look at the hasp you will see a little notch and groove that lines up at 90 degrees (quarter turn). This lets the hasp be pressed down further than "normal". So, line that up, press the hasp down (you will feel a spring pushing it back up.) Hold that and turn the numbers. Easy as pie.

(I thought to give this only 4 stars and not 5 because it is just a simple lock. Then I thought about the price and what this is made to do. Given that... I can't find any fault, so I have to go with 5.)
on July 21, 2016
Working well for the specific need I had. This is not a lock for uber-secure purposes, because it could be quickly broken with with a hammer, for instance. However, if you need a basic lock that can be quickly released without requiring a key, this works fine. For example, it would work for preventing small children from opening prohibited containers, or for meeting legal requirements in transporting firearms in the back of a vehicle. I also use it on ammo cans in my securely locked garage.
on February 7, 2017
The first lock I received did not respond to the combination lock and was pretty much useless, but Amazon happily shipped me a new one with no problems.
The lock is lightly bigger than my palm and is a good weight, but personally I like the strong feel of it. The color you receive varies, but I had received a red and orange one. Both colors are vibrant.
review image review image review image
on November 30, 2016
I was hoping to get the red one that's shown, but instead received a pretty blue lock. It was pretty easy to set the combination (I always forget the ones that come pre-set), but you really do have to follow the directions exactly. I had to repeat the process to get it right, but it worked the second time, and I really like it. The four spinning number combo reminds me of what you'd see on a suitcase, and they are really smooth and haven't given me any trouble. I use it in a locker room that's connected to a pool, and can't complain-- I'd buy another one if needed.
on May 4, 2014
Master Lock 4 digit set your own combination lock is perfect for me! I have some memory problems due to a medical condition, so remembering a typical lock combo was out of the question, but I needed a lock for my locker at the pool at my aquatic therapy center. So when I found this lock I knew I'd found the answer!

To anyone with memory issues: get this lock! It is SO much easier to remember four MEANINGFUL digits than it is to remember three sets of two RANDOM ones!

I can't say enough about this lock. I'm completely comfortable that I'll never forget my combination. And that puts my mind at ease to focus on what I'm there to do.
on January 27, 2017
As others have stated, mine came without a 000 preset and was already turned to numbers. I had to reset it and then program it myself. Also, the 0-0-0 preset does't make any sense if there are 4 digits but whatever. I use this strictly for the gym so I just need something simple and it gets the job done.
on May 26, 2014
I originally did a 'TSA approved' lock search on Amazon & this one popped up under that search, so I bought it along with several approved locks. It's my own fault for not fully reading the specs, but keep it in mind if it's for travel purposes.

That being said, it has a nice sturdy feel to it, it's easy to set your own combination (instructions are on the back, so don't tear it open right away), and it opens & closes very nicely. I wouldn't use it to lock an area that was unobserved, but for a gym locker or pool gate, this would be a nice choice. I've decided to keep it for one of those applications- not fair to return over my own ignorance & it will come in handy at some point.