Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on September 16, 2013
Seems one can never fully master the newer, high-end digital SLR's but this is a great book to keep close to your D300S (in our case). My hubby reads it when time permits and is always learning a new technique or tip. Easy to follow wording which is most imperative as if one doesn't have the ability to get a point across, then you've wasted time & money. Young does a great job! Now hubby is looking to move up to the FX, so I will likely inherit this one when he does, as I did with his old D80 that I enjoy immensely, thanks to helpful books by good authors!
on December 1, 2012
it is clear and informative....sometimes wordy but I would recommend it to anyone with a D300/D300s...maybe it would be better is if fewer opinions were expressed by the author they give an insight to how he shoots, but not everyone is at the shoot RAW and do a lot of post processing yet. He does explain JPEG fine and the great shots that can be had...The Rocky Nook links are really informative and helpful....they can be download to your kindle or laptop to carry with you.
on June 25, 2013
The kindle edition has no table of contents which maes it essentially useless as a resource....
I would not recommend this book...

The publisher has added the table of contents.good information for nikon D300/300s users.
66 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2010
I recently purchased a Nikon D300s when my four-year old Nikon D40 failed to power up. Hoping to learn as quickly as possible how to navigate the wealth of new features and settings that this professional camera might bring to my photography, I pre-ordered Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D300/D300s". I was not disappointed when it arrived. The book's thoughtful organization, friendly writing style and detailed explanations of some of the camera's most advanced features, such as `Shooting Menu Banks', `Custom Picture Controls' and `Active D-Lighting', had me using the camera comfortably in no time. The author's own personal D300s settings and how to use them, which are found at the end of most chapters under the title `My Recommendations', proved to be an excellent starting point while I was becoming familiar with the camera. I have since configured some of the camera's settings to reflect my own style and requirements, a sign that the book achieved its principle objective of "...mastering the Nikon D300s". The book is `Highly Recommended'.
on April 9, 2013
This is a very helpful, colorful, and insightful book on the use of a d300s. It is for all levels of expertise- meaning- that one can get as down to the nuts and bolts of this camera as one would want to. OR- simply read the sections you need and disregard the rest.

Maybe the best part is the author's own usage of the camera and settings. His suggestions such as "in a basketball game, I use this focus setting, this ISO, and be careful to look for...." That is what I found to be the most helpful. New users to this camera can certainly use that kind of help.

Much recommended!
on June 24, 2014
This is a good book for new owners of the Nikon 300S. The book contains large amount of information about the camera, however for my use of this camera I already knew. I will use this book as reference source for further uses of my camera.
The author has done a lot of work researching the various components and the proper use of the menu.
I would recommend this book who has recently purchase this Nikon camera.
on January 20, 2015
Darrell writes the best camera manuals I have come across. I like that he has real world recommendations for setting up the camera. The book is written in easy to understand terms. This is not to mean it is a beginners source, it is a very comprehensive source and fills in all the blanks from the Nikon manual and then some. Highly recommended.
on July 22, 2011
I purchased this book after looking through some threads at the nikonians.org website about some particular information regarding the Nikon D300. This book covers every single menu setting in detail. I have learned things about my D300 that I did not even know it was capable of! This book will be an invaluable piece of reference material for me as long as I own this camera. The author not only does an excellent job of discussing all of the menu options (sometimes in almost painful detail), but also referring you to the applicable pages in the owners manual. There is a lot of information here to absorb, but I think you will be the wiser for purchasing this book either in physical or electronic form and keeping it as an extremely handy reference guide.
on March 25, 2013
I own two of Mr. Young's manuals, and they are excellent. They will tell you everything there is to know about your camera, and they are much more detailed than the manual that comes with the camera.
If you are investing the money in one of these higher-end cameras, spend a few dollars more to ensure that you get the most out of that investment. I know the D300 frontwards and backwards, and I STILL carry this book with me. The same goes for his D800 manual: top shelf information from page one.
on January 3, 2014
This hard copy book is great in color. Color adds a lot to understanding the difference between the D300 and the D300S. I made the mistake of buying the Kindle version, but my Kindle DX does not print color. I own the Nikon D300; the author shows us the difference between the two cameras. A great book. Buy the hard copy.