Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on June 7, 2010
I just got a Nikon D3000 about a month ago; this is my first DSLR. I selected Darrell Young's book based on the stellar reviews for his other books.

First of all, I think it's a great book for introduction to DSLRs. The first two-thirds of the book just goes over the camera's functions and buttons in great detail. The info there is a subset of what you can get by downloading and reading the 200+ page Nikon manual. It's definitely organized better and looks prettier. However, as a techie, I'm comfortable reading instruction manuals, so this part of the book didn't do much for me in terms of learning new stuff.

The last third of the book is where it got more exciting for me, with his explanations of exposure, aperture and shutter speed, white balance etc. I guess I need a book which teaches me how to take better pictures which this camera, and not just what the buttons and controls do.

In summary, I think the book itself is well-written and great for beginners and non-techies, but just didn't meet all my needs perfectly.
on November 21, 2015
Well written, clear instructions. Easy to read.
I recommend it if you are a Nikon D3000 owner
on August 27, 2016
good book.
on September 16, 2010
I have only read the first two chapters of this book and it is a very well written and an easy to follow instruction book. It is very detailed but not boring. The writer has captured the perfect instructions to go with the illustrations. I highly recommend this book for the D3000 owner.
on August 19, 2014
I learned most of what I know about ny Nikon from this.
on May 2, 2013
Excellent Book. accurate to the Point. Wouldn't change a thing. Covers the subject well. It is very Detailed in Coverage
on January 11, 2015
Nice book
on January 27, 2013
This book is great! Darrell Young explains every thing in great detail, and gives examples. A very good "how to" book.
on December 20, 2014
OK.
on August 6, 2011
This is an excellent book for anyone who owns this camera! It's well written and has great illustrations. If you own this camera, this book is a must-have!