BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 18, 2015
I hate to jump on a band wagon. If everyone is buying beanie babies or rainbow looms, I am running in the opposite direction, and I felt the same about Downton Abbey. Too many people were talking about it, and how interesting could a show about the early 19th England be? Who would want to watch a show about uptight socialites and their household staff? Apparently I would. I recently caught some kiddie cooties and was stuck on the couch and binge watched this entire season on my Sony Blu Ray that has a wireless LAN. I watched the whole thing free with my Amazon Prime. Brief Synopsis for those of you who may have been living under a rock, like me, an American Heiress marries into an English family to become a countess and in turn saves the family because changing times and changing ways have bankrupted the estate. The Crawleys have three daughters and a large number of household staff with a variety of temperaments which makes for interesting story lines drenched in history and substance. It is also wonderful to just enjoy the visual aspect of the show. It really is a treat for the eyes, the beauty of the house, the antiques, the clothing and jewels. It is simply amazing. There is minimal explicit language and sexual content which is so refreshing. I am getting quite sick and tired of Hollywood's agenda to flood the television with all of the world's ills. There are some of us who get enough of how bad the world is on the news. Finding a TV show that is a "retreat" from it all is quite wonderful. The show is a soap opera of sorts but it is extremely well acted and one cannot overlook the mastery of Maggie Smith. Her dialogue is so cheeky and sarcastic. Every screen appearance is a delight and her repartee with Penelope Wilton is absolutely fantastic. If you are on the fence, come on over. Don't give up after the first episode though. I admit it was slow moving and sort of a snooze fest. Episodes after that are much better and I am currently in season 4 and you would not believe all that occurs. They do not take things slowly. I highly recommend Downton Abbey.
on September 16, 2016
If you love to see how the wealthy English aristocracy lived in their huge, gorgeous estates, scandals, turmoils, see this show. If you want to see how the servants lived and served their ladies and lords, see this show. It's a wonderful portrayal of life in the early English 1900's when no self-respecting gentleman and lady lived without at least a lady's maid and butler and valet and cook and chauffeur and etc. This is such a beautiful program where you get to see the relationships that develop between the servants and between the family and between each other. At times humorous, at times dramatic and at times may bring tears to your eyes. However, it is never boring. One my absolute all-time favorite programs. Thank goodness for BBC, they know how to turn out a real champion.
on May 16, 2016
I've heard some people say how much they love this show, but I could never get the time to sit down to watch (this is coming from a fan of Walking Dead and Game of Thrones). But I finally did!

It takes a few minutes to get into it, but once you are in, you are hooked. I like how the first episode starts with an American tragedy and I like that one of the family is an American - so that Americans have an investment in the English family also. There are a few English terms that Americans would probably cock their head to and wonder what that means, but you get the jist of it.

Downton Abbey doesn't have the roar and hellfire like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, but (surprisingly there is one actor on Downton that moved onto Game of Thrones!) you do end up liking the characters and want the best for them, therefore it pulls you into their story.
on August 20, 2015
I started hearing the raves about Downton Abbey a few years ago but didn't want to jump in to a story half told. Kept trying to catch up with the beginning of a re-run session on PBS but never got there; its availability on Prime was one of my main reasons for joining. Am almost finished with season one (although I accidently started with an episode in season four or five which confirmed my wisdom in starting at the beginning.) Even after I corrected my Prime settings it took one or two episodes to place each character in his or her place in the story. Now I am hooked.

From the perspective of this century one has to wonder at the loyalty of the staff and the entitlement of many of the "upstairs" characters. Well maybe not the latter so much; we do have lots of current examples - several of them running for President. The stories of the women are particularly compelling (and aggravating). Maggie Smith is snide and, as always, wonderful and I have to believe reincarnation may have played a role there. She is the dowager countess!

While I would have hated living there, I love visiting Downton Abbey. Don't miss it, but do start at the beginning.
on October 24, 2016
THE BEST!!!! I had watched the last two seasons on TV while it was being broadcast and regret not having watched the beginning when they were available. I finally buckled and decided to get a prime membership merely to watch the first couple of seasons. I LOVE IT!!! I already knew who the majority of the characters were and how it all ended but was still shocked to find out how that got from point A to point C. I am loving the love story between Mary and Matthew, the death of her one night stand, the courting of Anna and Bates... Even though I know the ending, there is so much good stuff that I missed and am now able to view. Thanks for offering this series. This is the best and I am glad that I am able to enjoy it in its entirity.
on June 21, 2016
An intriguing look into the lives of wealthy British aristocracy and their large and diverse group of servants, as they face the challenges of a changing world in early 20th century England. The cast is terrific, delivering performances that inspire drama, empathy and well placed humor as they portray a compelling story that draws you into their world. From the father who is trying to secure his families future, sibling rivalry run amok, a dysfunctional relationship with a stuffy but very amusing mother-in-law, and an interloping third cousin, to the infighting and politics of the house staff, the myriad of story lines keeps your interest throughout. There are so many characters that it all seems a bit much for the first few episodes. But once you get to know the characters it becomes easy and delightful to follow.
on January 2, 2017
The characters in this series are not a group of angels. Nonetheless it is strangely heart warming to watch their saga evolve. In the real world, the saga of 2016 just put me in a dismal outlook as the New Year's approached. I needed to be "taken away" and not by alcohol or drugs! So on New Year's Eve I had a Downton Abbey Season 1 marathon, even though I had watched it at least twice before. The series held up and indeed was a good and entertaining distraction.
If you are like me, and tend to shy away from all those English Victorian shows, please know this one transcends that and is a good representation of what people go through as the world changes around them and beyond their control.
on February 1, 2016
If you have outgrown all of the special effects... all the shoot em up, bang up productions of our day... and, if you're like my wife and I and just want a good story, Downton Abby is what you are looking for. What a wonderful story it is, and having he ability to watch the episodes, one right after the other on Amazon, well that just makes it all the better. It takes us back to a time in which tradition and manners were still important, while mixing in the realities of life... that things don't always go as a person, or a family hopes, and that people make mistakes in life. We are enjoying the saga of Downton, in the lives of aristocrats, as well as the lives of their servants. My wife and I have already watched the 1st season, and are halfway through the second... I expect we will be very sad when we have completed all 6 seasons... but we will enjoy every minute until that time comes... I highly recommend this series.
on October 14, 2016
I did not expect Downton Abbey to interest me. I thought it would be like most of the upstairs/downstairs shows I have seen through the years. I resisted watching for a long time despite all my friends who love it so. Well, I finally gave in and watched the first episode. I was hooked. I like shows where people make the unselfish choice and the drama is not of their own making all the time. In Downton Abbey wrong choices are made but people learn from them and become better for it. The staff and the family are separate in some ways but they are also like a big family and are involved in each other's lives. It is set in the early part of the 1900s around WWII and we see how the war changes the culture of England. I recommend watching it.
on March 3, 2017
It's not hard-hitting and never veers too far into uncomfortable territory, but that said, it's unexpectedly insightful. Touching on topics of class, race, gender, and age, it's refreshingly well-rounded and very entertaining. I was hooked after just a few episodes.