Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 1, 2013
The movie which was shown on PBS was excellent! I enjoyed it so much that I bought this DVD. So I am totally shocked that so many parts have been edited out. Why would they do this? The more usual event is that the Masterpiece shows on TV (Such as Agatha Christie movies) have been edited down for television.
But in this case, the TV version has the complete movie.
The DVD is missing many important parts, not the least of which is the complete ending. Good grief.
174 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on October 15, 2016
I saw this pilot episode a couple of years ago, and remember enjoying it immensely. It was my introduction to the long-running "Inspector Morse" series. The "Endeavour" series is incredibly well done, with Shaun Evans grabbing every scene he is in... unless Roger Allam is there with him, in which case the scene becomes a visual symphony!
I re-watched the pilot the other night, and I guess I now own it. I am delighted! I'd forgotten how deeply moving the story and performances were. Morse's keen intellect and observational powers are a consistent thread through this series and the "Inspector Morse" series, but the psycho-emotional origins of some of Morse's idiosyncrasies are brought to light, as devastating events unfold.
I think this is a classic, all on its own.
8 people found this helpful
on June 20, 2012
I just finished watching this video and was stunned at how wonderful it was. Having watched all of the Morse videos and being a big fan of them, I was sure I was going to find that Endeavour was "different" or not up to the standards set by the original videos.
Endeavour has the same complex plotting, the same haunted characters, the same flavor, the same bureaucratic conflicts with other police personnel, and even more continuations from the originals. It is apparent that they deliberately worked very hard to retain the true ambiance of the Morse videos.
The actor playing the young Morse I was prepared to not like but came away thoroughly impressed by how well he captured the character that was well-established by John Thaw. It was a hard act to follow but he did it impressively well. By the end you just knew you were watching the young Morse and it was a joy. You even see the Jaguar at the car dealer and you just know he is going to go back and buy it and drive it for the rest of his life. There are many other blendings of the old to the new that are subtle but apparent to the regular Morse watcher.
I highly recommend watching this video and hope that you find it as enjoyable as I did. I know I will re-watch it in the future as I do with the other Morse videos.
And it would be even more amazing if they made more of the Endeavour videos in the future.
248 people found this helpful
|1111 comments|Report abuse
on June 1, 2016
To add a different perspective, it is the way this drama series captures the era so perfectly that has me in awe. WW2 is a constant thread through series, much as I remember it to have been for the adults during my sixties childhood in the UK. Many of the character types don't really exist any more, but are very familiar. I had a boss in the early seventies, who could have been the inspiration for the Chief Inspector. The drinking at lunchtime was very normal, and an important detail. The events in the series reflect the times, and the general feel of the times.

In the second series, the racism of the time has been largely omitted.which I think is a failing, as younger people would be shocked at how blatant it was back then.
4 people found this helpful
on August 18, 2014
*Anybody who loved the Inspector Morse series portrayed by the late John Thaw, do not miss the opportunity to see this movie. It takes you back to the early years, 1965 to be exact when a very young detective constable Morse has been ordered to help the police to find a missing girl. At the moment he's at a crossroads with his life and the last thing he wants to do is to return to Oxford. Being recruited to help and having no choice in the matter, he digs heavy into the investigation. Soon he is noticed by an Inspector Thursday. He sees that even though he is young, he is also very diligent, has an uncanniness for the truth and refuses to give up even when he's ordered to. Soon Thursday takes young Morse under his wing and together they hunt down a killer only to bring sadness to Morse but a destiny he could no longer deny!...............I believe whoever sees this movie especially if their Morse fans, will totally enjoy it. His love for opera and old vintage cars, crossword puzzles, of course, and lets not forget why we only know him as Morse? Could it be that his first name is "Endeavour"?
2 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2012
This single 98 minute DVD plots out Morse's early police career as a young rookie detective on assignment to Oxford in 1965 tacking his first big case searching for a missing 15-year old girl .
Shaun Evans does a superb job, in what must have been a tough role to cast, following in the late John Thaw's classic role. Overall the acting is excellent, with Roger Allam playing an especially good supporting role as Inspector Fred Thursday.
The production team certainly achieved the feel of the old Inspector Morse series, with sweeping shots of Oxford colleges and the local surrounding area. This is an excellent stand alone British drama, but for those Inspector Morse aficionados there are many references to his future character that we see being developed, including a particularly poignant ending.
Endeavour [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.2 Import - United Kingdom ]
265 people found this helpful
|2121 comments|Report abuse
on July 30, 2014
This is where the story really begins. You can tell different camera angles are used which renders Shaun Evans, Endeavour, even more thin than he normally appears. Many characters don't make it into the regular series but thankfully Roger Allam, DCI Thursday, does. In the series Thursday is the perfect mentor for Morse. He shares wisdom when needed, is concerned and caring when Morse needs it the most. Morse is very much in need of nurturing and encouragement. Morse has an intuitive, imaginative and sharp mind that fits all the pieces together in their murder investigations which aids Thursday. John Thaw's (the original Inspector Morse - which I somehow never watched) daughter, Abigail Thaw shows up in this pilot and a few references to Morse's future. Thank you goes out to the British for coming up with yet another superb, addictive program to follow for many years - hopefully.
on October 14, 2013
The fact that hundreds of viewers rank "Endeavor" at the highest level (via Amazon) only hints at the quality of "Endeavor." As a devoted fan of "Inspector Morse" and "Lewis" I can assure you that "Endeavor" is worthy of your time. Currently running (advancing to the second season) "Endeavor" reveals Morse's early days as a compassionate "copper" fresh out of the signal corps (deciphering covert code ~ beyond morse, ironically) during WWII. This thought-provoking show (set in the 1960's) features character-driven writing, amazing plots and vivid art direction. It also flashes back to that threshold era when the "hard boiled copper days" began to subside under the emergence of sophisticated DNA tracking and psychological profiling. Sean Evans as young Morse breaks your heart with his soulful performance. Roger Allam is riveting as his fatherly, caring mentor DI Fred Thursday (the solid man we learned about in Colin Dexter's novels). You may remember Allam in 1997 as the ambitious academic Denis Cornford in "Death is Now My Neighbour" from the "Inspector Morse" series. Two "Endeavor" episodes, for me, stand out: "Fugue" and "Home." In "Fugue" Morse's passion for opera helps him decode a serial killer's taunting puzzles. A touching scene between Morse and Thursday underscores why, years later, DCI Morse stayed true to the beauty of classical music and opera. We understand just how much young Morse needed the tender embrace of a loving family. "Home" takes us back to Morse's roots where we see into the hungry heart of a young man yearning for fatherly understanding and guidance. This episode is rich with gangsters, Playboy era nightclub atmospheres and dark alley politics blurring the line between criminals and coppers. DI Thursday's haunting past and the lengths a father will go to protect his family contrast with Morse's stark boyhood. We also see how the friendship developed between young Morse and beat cop Strange. Strange would later become Morse's blustery boss. A "superior" who, although seemingly filled with scold and scoff, deeply respected Morse's mind and would eventually mourn his death like no other (aside from Lewis). "Endeavor" grabs us by the heart and throat, only to stay embedded within our own psyches long after the credits roll.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I loved the series on pbs and it is a joy to review them now! If you loved Inspector Morris, you'll ll even him as a young man. I love eating them alone and then again with my husband. Treat yourself to a marvelous series! I was amazed how well they showed up on my iPhone!!! This is one of the best pbs series. Even if you're not familiar with Morris but like o good English mystery, give this one a go! You'll be so very glad you did!
on January 9, 2016
Exceptionally-well written, smart series. How I WISH there were more programs out there like the Endeavor series. Not only is the wit and mystery on-target in each show, but the script is artfully and devotedly performed by actors who can make you care about their characters from day one. Hooked. Side-note: there are some graphic scenes which coincide with the more thematic episodes that in general are tastefully done, they could have been left-out and still retained Endeavor's captivated and enthusiastic audience. The more mystery, the better.