Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Masters of Deception: Escher, Dalí & the Artists of Optical Illusion
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on December 12, 2004
The other reviewers are on the mark but there are 2 regrettable omissions:

1. The Art of Bev Doolittle.(???) In my opinion her work easily outshines several of the artists in the all male lineup chosen for the book. What was he thinking?

2. A CD containing moving pictures. After the book was published the author created this web site:

[...]

Where he explains:

"There are a number of incredible artistic works featured in Masters of Deception, which require movement to appreciate their full impact. Additionally, I had in my possession various interviews with some of the book's featured artists that I wanted to share with my readership. Unfortunately, the publisher was unwilling to produce a CD to accompany the book. I have created this web site, therefore, to augment and enhance the reader's experience by presenting those works and interviews that I could not present in book form."

Don't miss this web site.
77 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2016
This is a very cool book. However, I bought it for my 10 year old & there are some pretty inappropriate pictures in there. I will not be giving him this book. I'll be returning the book & finding a more age appropriate, optical illusions book.
on February 12, 2010
As an art teacher I'm always looking for good books to help motivate and stimulate the imaginations of my students. This time one of my students brought this book to show me. He had received it as a holiday gift and I proceeded to buy it for my husband for the holidays as well. Images by famous professional artists that use optical illusions are always intriguing and Al Seckel has created a nice collection here using informative captions to help decipher the work. This kind of book particularly appeals to the math and engineering mind, although it can be enjoyed by all. My husband, a math teacher, will bring it into his teaching repetoire. "Masters of Deception" can be used in a multidisciplined way educationally and is a great coffee table book to be enjoyed at random.
on July 16, 2014
I keep coming back to these time after time — they tease and please again and again. and they charm children and grandchildren, and they echo.... sometimes, after all, one CAN tell a book by its cover.
on January 22, 2011
A beautifully produced book, richly illustrated, with classic examples from a few publicly well known artists (Escher, Dali and Archimboldo), together with a broad sweep of 17 modern, less well known artists.

A good book to stimulate anyone's imagination new to the field of visual illusions in art, but there are of course many other artists not included - Victor Vasarely and Bridget Riley to name but two.
on February 12, 2014
Great Book but came VERY damaged, not a how to book but a great book to look at artist who excel in this area. Wonderful pictures and info but this book does not teach you how to look or create such art. I would give it 5 stars except it came very damaged and a lot pf pages stuck together.
on November 22, 2012
This book has a lot of the pictures you've already seen but a whole lot of others as well from artists you didn't know you liked. This is a great addition to Grandpa's coffee table books. Last year I got him a book of every cartoon ever published by the New Yorker. I hope he likes this one too.
on April 17, 2013
Cool book, doesn't really focus on any artist in particular, but is good if you want like an overview of optical effect type art.
on April 7, 2014
Good. With an artist in the family who paints permutations, this was very interesting. Gave it to him for a gift.
on August 26, 2015