Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 139 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2017
This is a beautiful paperback art book that covers a broad spectrum of art related to optical illusions. I've seen it on sale in many locations, including museum gift shops. Escher, Dali, and Arcimboldo are represented (as you'd expect) but the bulk of the book is devoted to a wide variety of artists inspired by either the artists mentioned earlier or various quirks of visual perception. Op Art is well-represented, as are ambigrams, nontraditional portraiture, unabashedly commercial artwork, and sculptures based on constructions in Escher's famous works. I'd already seen many of these images on the internet, but it's better to see them within this intelligent context. The book, with its many full-page reproductions, does a wonderful job of exciting the reader with the possibilities of illusionistic art, and wisely lets the artwork speak for itself more often than not.

Two things did surprise me about this book (although they did not cause me to lower my rating). There is very little in here to connect these works of art to even the basic principles of visual perception in layman's terms. I was also surprised to see so little attention given to Magritte, who seems to have overtaken Dali in the public's mind as the supreme Surrealist. There is some minor nudity scattered around, but nothing that isn't PG-13.

When I was a teen many years ago, I treasured my Escher calendars and Dali postcards. I would have loved to have seen such a book back then, and I am glad that this book is still in print and reasonably popular.
on May 15, 2016
My second copy. The first arrived with slight damage (hey it happens) and Amazon lived up to their re[putation- a replacement came quick and easy! The book itself is the best of it's kind- realartists, well known and lesser known, but no collections of dumb optical illusions. This is real art, using perspective in ways you never imagined!
on April 19, 2016
This is a very cool book. However, I bought it for my 10 year old & there are some pretty inappropriate pictures in there. I will not be giving him this book. I'll be returning the book & finding a more age appropriate, optical illusions book.
on February 12, 2010
As an art teacher I'm always looking for good books to help motivate and stimulate the imaginations of my students. This time one of my students brought this book to show me. He had received it as a holiday gift and I proceeded to buy it for my husband for the holidays as well. Images by famous professional artists that use optical illusions are always intriguing and Al Seckel has created a nice collection here using informative captions to help decipher the work. This kind of book particularly appeals to the math and engineering mind, although it can be enjoyed by all. My husband, a math teacher, will bring it into his teaching repetoire. "Masters of Deception" can be used in a multidisciplined way educationally and is a great coffee table book to be enjoyed at random.
My ten year old son and I both appreciate great art and optical illusions. Two of my favorite artists are Dali and Escher.

I purchased this book as a present for my son but I was concerned he would find it too much to take in. He did not. He loves it and loves reading page by page. We talk about the artists and their styles and which ones are our favorites.

The selection of artists is wonderful and diverse. Some are more traditional, others more modern but all are worthy of being included.
The reproduction of their artwork is beautiful and the accompanying text is great for more detail and a second look at the art.

Masters of Deception has enough in it to peruse as a stand alone picture book but enough text to create an educational experience.

This is a beautifully designed book at a phenomenal price.
on March 5, 2017
A great gift for the many.
on June 15, 2012
Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali & the Artists of Optical Illusion. This book is Awesome! The book contains some of the classic optical illusion that most have seen in other works of arts. The book will surely get your attention and your children will love figuring out the images that they see in the pictures.
on April 25, 2014
What a great compilation of both surrealist and art revealing fantastical optical journeys. My students are going to love this book for sure. I first encountered this book in the waiting room of an opthamologist and came home and ordered a copy...it is a great feast for the eyes and imagination, is affordable, and has text about each of the artists who range from the Renaissance times to the present. Great book.
on May 24, 2008
Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali & the Artists of Optical Illusion This book was way more than I expected. I purchased it for casual enjoyment but ended up entralled with not only the artwork, but the very nice biographies of the artists and the lay out of the book. I feature it in my living room for company. It's absolutely one of the best books I've ventured to buy.
on May 29, 2008
I saw this book for sale in a catalog for several years and had wanted it but didn't want to pay the full price, thanks Amazon for offering it at a discount. I've always been intrigued by illusions and pictures with perception differences.
This book does not disappoint. For anyone who wants to know more about the different kinds of picture Illusions and the backgrounds of the artists, this book is for you. Of course it has the standards, but it also has more obscure artists which are just as talented but haven't received the international acclaim of an Escher which of course is also in this book. Even though there isn't room in this book for all the work of every artist, it gives the reader many good examples of each artists work, which will no doubt compel one to find more pieces by those artists. Highly recomended.