Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment Paperback – February 1, 1992
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
"If he's right—and Leonard has been right so many times about prevailing zeitgeists that you have to wonder if he has a third eye—the upcoming decade might be known as the decade of mastery."—San Francisco Chronicle
"George Leonard translates the wisdom of Zen into a self-help program for sticking with it—whether you want to learn aikido or need support in realizing long-held goals."—The New Age Journal
From the Back Cover
"If hes right and Leonard has been right so many times about prevailing zeitgeists that you have to wonder if he has a third eye 00 the upcoming decade might be known as the decade of mastery."
San Francisco Chronicle
"George Leonard translates the wisdom of Zen into a self-help program for sticking with it whether you want to learn aikido or need support in realizing long-held goals."
The New Age Journal
Top Customer Reviews
While the author describes 5 keys to long-term success and fulfillment,as:
4. Intentionality; and,
5. The Edge - Push the envelop.
1. The process where what was difficult becomes both easier and
2. Long-term dedication to the journey - not the bottom line;
3. Gaining mental discipline to travel further on your journey;
4. Being goalless;
5. Realizing that the pleasure of practice is intensified;
6. Creating deep roots;
7. Knowing that you will never reach a final destination;
8. Being diligent with the process of mastery;
9. Your commitment to hone your skills;
10. After you have reached the top of the mountain, climb
11. Being willing to practice, even when you seem to be getting
12. Making this a life process;
13. Being patient, while you apply long-term efforts;
14. Appreciating and even enjoying the plateau, as much as you do
15. Practicing for the sake of practice;
16. Winning graciously, and losing with equal grace;
17. Placing practice, discipline, conditioning and character
development before winning;
18. Being courageous;
19. Being fully in the present moment;
20. Realizing that the ultimate goal is not the medal, or the
ribbon, but the path to mastery its self (The "I am"
21. Being willing to look foolish;
22. Maintaining flexibility in your strategy, and in your
23. A journey; and,
Apply this to everything in your life, to claim your authentic self.
There are two big messages, and a lot of support:
1. The reason for mastery -- he compelling argues that it doesn't matter so much what you choose to master, pick something and pursue mastery. It has a life changing effect.
2. The process for mastery -- this is very compelling. He takes the concept of a plateau and makes it understandable. And shows how to reach mastery given the realities of what happens along the way. We're bad at this in today's world -- we want results right away. But that's not how it works. Committing to the process not the outcomes goes back to ancient Eastern religions, and its as true for modern life and success as well.
He's distilled a lifetime of learning into a very short and useful read.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was a book that I bought and read as required reading for an Introduction to Entrepreneurship course I am taking. Read morePublished 13 days ago by R. Smith
great ideas when and only when a person has grown tired of searching for a "quick fix".Published 1 month ago by P. Prendergast
A really wonderful book! I am a 76-year-old musician preparing to embark on a new life venture, and this book is a major inspiration for me. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Gary Berlind
I have given this book to tens of people. The book demonstrates the way we actually grow more in whatever we are pursuing--be it a profession, a sport or needlepoint. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer