Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

92%

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on March 17, 2014
MatchDotBomb is an amusing and insightful gem. The reader comes along on a spry and picaresque journey of loss, love, longing, self-awareness, and hope in a style reminiscent of Jane Austen crossed with Anne Lamott and Nancy Mitford. I haven’t experienced online matchmaking, but laughed through a tear more than once as Ms. Friedman recounts her adventures, and draws on her wits while dealing with lotharios ranging from the classic rake to the enlightened modern male. Best of all, she’s sympathetic and kind to all involved.

It’s a timeless and perceptive book of love for the married, divorced, single, or widowed, online or not, and a witty illustration of the longings we all face, male or female. - Mark McKelvey
on September 1, 2008
MATCHDOTBOMB advertises itself as an autobiography, but it's also a memoir (a subcategory). The latter is entwined with the former so emotionally that they flow together quite naturally.

No matter, when I started reading, I thought I was going to place this book in the negative column. "Be patient," I thought, "you might change your mind." And I did! As a person who has been both rewarded and frustrated by Internet dating, myself, I wanted the author to get to the point. About one-fourth way through the book she finally "puts the rubber to the road," to use an awful analogy. And what a fast read from "Chapter 5" through 20-plus! Not because there are only 182 pages, but because it's so exciting to go along for the ride with her.

By "Chapter 13" the author manages to bring this reader to tears when she writes about the joy of a family reunion about the age of twelve (this is one autobiographical section). The chapter seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the book's theme, but it's a gem of a read anyhow. (Well..., when you get near the end of the book you might sense a tie-in.)

Her Internet dating experiences are hard to believe. Not that they aren't true; I just can't imagine those of my gender being so inept with a lady. But she still searches that Ethernet world; still hoping. Why? Her answer: "I...recalled how much I loved being needed and how terribly I missed it."

Eventually, she begins to "accept the fact that there might never be another guy out there like Bob [her deceased husband]. Perhaps a reasonable facsimile. But certainly not a carbon copy. On the one hand, that sobering fact frightened [her]. On the other hand, the limitless possibilities were beginning to fascinate [her]."

Friedman--it seems friendlier to call her Francine--takes us on the emotional ups and downs of the Internet dating scene: from elation to fighting back tears when rejected. And her both sharp and humorous thoughts (which she wittily shares) when interacting with these potential partners--and when not--had me laughing out loud, and sometimes holding back a tear.

I'm glad I persisted past "Chapter 4," (only after reading it do you know it is a stage for "Chapter 5") and I'm delighted to have read the book. I had to: Francine knows how to continually hook you, massage your emotions, and tickle that funny bone. Normally, I read many books then resell them on Amazon. This one I will keep to share.

Hope you find someone, Francine. (Although, I suspect--after these experiences--she might be quite content in her present state of singlehood.)

The Creative Teacher: Activities for Language Arts (Grades 4 through 8 and Up)
on July 25, 2010
The book made me feel that I know the author as a friend; I suffered with her as she went through her internet dates and I realized that I wasn't alone in wanting someone special in my lifeWidowpedia: A Little Information About Internet Dating and Other Matters for Women in Act Two!