Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Matchbox 9-Car Gift Pack (Styles May Vary)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

on December 3, 2013
I bought these cars when they went on lightning deal during Amazon's Black Friday event and was so disappointed when I opened the package and saw what was actually shipped to us.

First of all, the picture and description of this product make it seem like people are buying an assortment of high quality, die cast vehicles that includes not just cars but other cool things like buses, construction vehicles and/or helicopters. What I got was a bunch of mostly plastic Jeeps.

In Amazon's defense the listing does say 'styles may vary'; however, we still expected a good assortment of different types of vehicles in the variety pack because that's what was pictured in the listing. I really think Amazon needs to add a few pictures of the various variety packs they send people and not just the one the listing currently shows. That way customers have a realistic idea of what they could potentially receive. Clearly the seller took a photo of the best pack of vehicles and posted it on Amazon.

This isn't even the main reason I rated this product so poorly. I really can't believe how low quality these vehicles are!

We've always bought Hot Wheels in the past and those are definitely higher quality die cast (i.e. METAL) cars than these. The description of this product says the vehicles are die cast; however, the cars we received were largely plastic. Also the cheap plastic wheels easily bend in on these cars. I also noticed some chipped paint on one of the vehicles. Looking at the picture on the Amazon listing and comparing those vehicles to the ones I received, there is definitely a quality difference. Even the packaging inside the box I received is different than what is pictured in the current listing.

Had I had been shown a picture of the box of vehicles I was sent, there's no way I ever would have purchased this. I definitely think Amazon needs to work on this listing and add more photos so that it more accurately reflects the quality and assortment of vehicles people are receiving.

Obviously, I contacted Amazon for refund on my purchase. Amazon responded immediately and were happy to assist me with this.
11 comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
I like this Matchbox collection. The toys will attracted a child's eye. They are brightly colored metal & plastic with appropriate decals. They are shiny. They come in a box where each vechicle is in it's own space eliminating scratches during shipping. They are manufactured in Thailand. The wheels turn. Some of the smaller parts, such as tires, gas tanks, bumpers, etc. may break off if your child really puts some effort in to it, so it really is not for a child under 3. A toy with a broken part may have resulting sharp and/or pointed areas. I like this collection and may buy a different set (selection) later for a birthday present. If your child is vehicle oriented, I do believe they weill like this set.
on December 17, 2013
I ordered this set for my 2 year old grandson. There is not one service vehicle in the mix. I received all off road and race cars. I did not even see this pack shown in the picture. Very deceiving advertising.
on November 23, 2013
Missing car, paint chipped off of vehicles because of previous play. One windshield broke on one of the cars, packaging was terrible. Would never buy from this person again!!! What a disappointment to my grandson in Germany!
on October 9, 2013
My son loves them. He's bought several of them in the past few years. These were a perfect add-on to his forever-growing Matchbox car collection.
review image
on November 26, 2014
Ordered 2 of these.... The listing shows 4 different sets and says what they send may varies... well I got a completely different set then any of them that was pictured and instead of 2 different ones I got 2 of the exact same ones... Not overly happy with this purchase, If they had the ones I got pictured I wouldn't have even ordered because they are not what I was looking for, the 4 shown all would have been way better... If I could have found these in stores I would have just bought them there.
on August 6, 2014
Bait and switch. I agree with an earlier reviewer on the cheapness of the toy automobiles/trucks (plastic, not die-cast) and the assortment was drab, dark colors. The "Styles May Vary" gives the seller to opportunity to switch in low quality product. Avoid buying. I won't make the same mistake twice.
on December 22, 2014
After exclusively using hot wheels my entire childhood, what a sweet surprise it was to discover matchbox cars with my son in Target one day. My first impression was that (within the same price range) matchbox cars are much much better built that their hot wheels counterparts, although both matchbox and hot wheels are from the same parent company. Hot wheels are mostly focused on creating fantasy versions of various race cars... and these fantasies do run extremely wild with some models. Matchbox cars are mostly miniature replicas of real world vehicles, plus construction vehicles plus fantasy versions of these construction vehicles. To give you another example.... hot wheels mostly look like various versions of a bat-mobile and matchbox look like various versions of an army truck. Also, I feel that hot wheels cars drift better while matchbox cars travel straighter and hence more suitable for playing car smash :)
on November 1, 2015
This is a great value, and my 19mo old loves it. The mixes do vary from what's pictured here: for example we didn't get a helicopter (or any of the cars pictured here). It was still a good mix of cars and trucks, however. Included two sports cars, a mail truck, a sushi truck, water truck, a seeder, an amphibious vehicle, and others. All well printed and with interesting details.
review image
on May 17, 2016
My son is a typical boy and has discovered the joy of cars and trucks. Matchbox is a staple when you're into modes of transportation. This set is great. There is such a wonderful variety. You get cars, trucks and a helicopter. He is in Heaven playing with this set. He loves being able to slip some into his pockets and pulling them out to play with when we go places. They were a God send when we had to wait at the registry of motor vehicles. The sat quietly, aside from the occasional car noises that he made as we waited for my number to be called. He has since moved on to monster trucks, but still uses these to line them up with the monster trucks. I know that he will have this set for years to come. Matchbox has always made high quality cars and trucks that are able to withstand the abuse that little boys give them. I'm hoping to get a few seats to break up to add to his favor bags for his birthday party. Monster tuck themed of course