Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Math Dictionary for Kids: The Essential Guide to Math Terms, Strategies, and Tables
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on September 12, 2009
I stumbled across this book by chance on Amazon while searching for something else. My two kids are in fourth and fifth grade. The fifth grader has a lot of frustrations with math, so I often need to help her. I bought this book after reading the reviews, and I am so glad I did! It simplifies math so that in the span of a few seconds, I can quickly and easily remember how to perform mathematical operations that I haven't looked at in years. I can often remember the generalities of an operation, but not the specifics. This book helps me to remember the details that time has seemingly erased.

Math was not my thing when I was growing up, though I always managed to make "Bs" and "Cs". If I'd had this book and a parent or teacher to help guide me, perhaps I would have made better grades and had more confidence. Students who are adept at math will probably find they can use this book independently. Students with weaknesses will likely need the guidance of a parent to help them along, but the beauty is that the dictionary makes it so much easier for the parents to help the student. For example, I often forget the correct terms or definitions when helping my kids with math (e.g., words like "divisor"). I find myself trying remember precisely what the divisor is since I haven't encountered that word in many years. Now, I can quickly look it up in the dictionary and confidently assist my kids with their homework, feeling certain that I'm telling them correct information.

I bought a couple of other math dictionaries targeted to students in addition to this one, thinking that I might get the best of all worlds that way, but this one is by far the best for both kids and adults. This is the book to spend your money on.
on December 21, 2011
This book has been invaluable to my elementary & middle school students and me over the last few years. Simple, concise explanations, wide variety of concepts, helpful charts, and truly our most used reference book other than the standard word dictionary. Easy refresher for concepts I have not encountered in years. If you have students, this book will become a favorite!
Although the book description states that this item is suited for grades 4-9, I have found it helpful in teaching my eight-year-old daughter important mathematical concepts and definitions. The format of this book makes it extremely user-friendly that even a young child familiar with looking up words under indexes is going to be able to look up definitions without too much difficulty.

To illustrate, my second grader brought home math homework the other day and one of the questions had to do with identifying which figures were quadrilaterals. I asked my daughter if she understood what a quadrilateral meant but I wasn't satisfied that she knew the exact definition so we referred to this book. The index at the back of the book is very useful in pointing to the right page for the definition. Under page 67, a quadrilateral is defined as "Any polygon with four sides" and goes on to list examples, i.e. "square, parallelogram, rhombus, trapezium, rectangle, rhomboid, and trapezoid." There are also color illustrations of several examples. My daughter is now able to identify and define what quadrilaterals and polygons are. She is also able to define terms like "congruent" and more.

The size of the book also makes it handy to carry to class (about the size of a large paperback), and the book is divided into chapters:
Whole Numbers and Operations
Statistics and Probability
Problem Solving
Quick Reference Guides
Learning with Manipulatives
Formulas - great for dusting off my old brain cells:-)
Tables and Charts
Measurement Conversion Tables
Basic Math Tools and Equipment
Index

The easy-to-navigate format as well as the color illustrations make this a learning tool that children will appreciate and might even motivate reluctant learners to try harder at math. I recommend this Math Dictionary For Kids to students ages 8 and up.
on September 30, 2008
This is a great reference manual for middle school students as well as their parents. Definitions and examples are given for each math concept.
on October 17, 2007
Wonderful tool for children. My daughter has never been a big fan of math but this book makes learning simple and fun.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2013
We homeschool and I saw wonderful videos of people making "Math Notebooks" for and with their kids. I then thought "what a great idea, I can do that too!" I then realized it was really time consuming and the number of math topics we were covering continued to expand. I then came to my senses and found this book. Everything all sitting there, with full color pictures, excellent examples, and hardy but easy to follow definitions - winner, winner chicken dinner!
My husband who holds a degree in math was also very impressed with this book. Maybe when the kids are older they will take on the challenge of creating their own "Math Notebook" - for now this is our go to reference. Everyone understands the importance of having a traditional dictionary and even a spelling dictionary on hand - I recommend a math dictionary for every household as well!
on May 31, 2010
This book is great for childrens as well as adults. I highly recommend it.
on October 26, 2015
It's not perfectly aligned with the common core - meaning it doesn't always explain things the same way. However, it's a very effective reference and it's helped my 5th grader a few times.

I'd say grade 5 or 6 and above can navigate through it independently. Below that requires some parental assistance.
on February 14, 2014
I purchased this book at the beginning of my son's 5th grade school year. I wanted to give some time to get into the school year and lessons before posting a review. This book has been a great reference for my son!! I have been working on giving him the tools to "research" answers on his own before asking me. It is very easy for both of us to look up information. School doesn't come easy to him and as a child who would prefer to play video games over homework he actually picks up this book to skim through from time to time without being asked. Lessons at school change almost daily and the students are not allowed to bring home the books just take notes. So with this book as a reference it allows him to review key information to help him through his homework and make the information stick. It has been a valuable tool and gives him the chance to get excited about his math lessons because he doesn't feel clueless.
on January 11, 2014
My son is in 2nd grade and he really enjoys reading this book. We also bought "Math for the Gifted Student Grade 2 (For the Gifted Student) " with it. Both work great together. Funny to ask him what he is reading and he tells me, "my math dictionary".