Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on July 9, 2014
The primary three teenage characters:

(1) Miruka. Girl. Hot (at math) and she knows it.
(2) Unnamed first-person narrator. Guy. Not as adept as Miruka. He follows her lead, but is intimidated by her.
(3) Tetra. Girl. Least adept at math. Really wants to compete for/with the other two characters.

The really clever part of the book is the dialog between the three characters about their individual struggles with math concepts. The long, drawn out dialog to explain and question math concepts, both elementary and advanced, is a really refreshing way for the reader to learn and review math. Readers who teach advanced math concepts, or use advanced math concepts in their teaching, will be most appreciative of this book. The human interaction with math that is laid out in this book is superb.

I disagree with reviews here that claim that a reader only needs math prerequisites through complex numbers and pre-calculus. The math here seems very advanced to me. Best wishes if this is your first exposure to math on the level of the Basel problem (see wikipedia).

The fiction aspect is minor. Math Girls could provide guilt-free reading for those who would feel uneasy about allocating time to read a beach book.
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2011
Usually, love for math and romantic situations don't go well together. Particularly when the topics are selected from college-level undergraduate discrete math! But, this book successfully combines the two, using a combination of teaching and learning settings to show the characters' journeys through math understanding. With just a pinch of high-school level adolescent discomfort.

The most encouraging aspect of this book is its portrayal of the discovery process as students new to a problem domain play with problems to try to understand not just how to solve them or how to derive a solution, but why the particular domains work they way they do. While I'm certainly no trained mathematician myself, I've taken enough graduate level discrete math to recognize that the original author both has and wanted to convey a deep appreciation for the covered topics.

And, if that isn't enough to pique your interest, there is also a sample chapter available from the publisher's site:

[...]
on November 30, 2014
Make no mistake this is a math book. If you are expecting a very good romance or drama story here with some math thrown in you might be disappointed. Despite that, it was still fun to read mostly because it brought a certain sense of enjoyment that I did you would not see in most books. To quote a line from the opening chapter: "When I trace the path of their logic (referring to derivations or proofs), the thrill that fills me is mine." And this is what Math Girls does best. The characters encounter math problems and they attempt to solve it and the story takes us into their attempts at solving the problem. It takes us through their logic of solving the problem and we share in their experiences.

Another thing Math Girls does very well is the characters. You have the main character who serves as the narrator, loves math and is quite good at it, Tetra who loves math but starts off not very good at it and usually asks the narrator for help and Miruka who is much better than the narrator at math. The relationship between the narrator and Miruka and Tetra is done very well. Depending on what kind of person you are, as long as you love math you are most likely to relate to the narrator or to Tetra. Miruka is very difficult to relate to but is still a very likable character. She is sometimes cold but you can't help admire her intelligence and deep knowledge of mathematics and how well she is able to explain it all. She would often teach the narrator and Tetra math and during these parts you really feel as though she is teaching you.

As for the math, the topics are quite broad but don't expect differential geometry or vector calculus. They are, for the most part, simple. The book can be read by someone in high school and while they might not be able to solve the problems they will still understand the solutions and still enjoy the book.

The book is quite short but I took a long time reading it because I tried to solve the problem on my own. I found some of them really difficult but they are fun to solve. Skipping solving the problems and reading the solution straight away is also an option and it doesn't rob you much of the experience. But do not skip the problems and solution altogether. It is the best part of the book.

If you're not too crazy about math but you're not sure if you like it, I suggest still reading this book because this book has reminded me why I love math and perhaps in reading it you may find out whether you really do love math. If you are someone who loves math, college, high school or PhD. You will enjoy this book.
on January 10, 2015
I'm only a quarter of the way through but already, I've gotten my money's worth. I bought the sequel and will but then third in the series as soon as it is translated. The math is presented it a very thoughtful way. I have a strong math background but as I was learning, I wish I'd had this. If someone asked me about the sum of the divisors, I now know exactly how to develop the topic. I'd guide them just the way it was done here. I'm looking forward to find out how the two girls evolve in this romance. I'm glad there is more to read. I thank Hiroshi for sharing his insights.
on November 25, 2015
It's like a light novel, but mathematical. The fact that this is a romance novel centered around math is pretty rad. Any story with mathematical flirting gets 5 stars in my book.
on December 22, 2011
I read the preview chapters that Bento Books put up before the book was published, and I knew when I had finished with them that I would be buying the book. What I didn't anticipate was that the book could become so much greater than I could see from the small offering I had been given. Math Girls combines math, romance, and humour beautifully into a story that entertains, challenges, and rewards throughout. Not only do we get a story with rigorous mathematics, but we get characters with personality, who seem to grow and develop as time goes on. The epilogue is a bit of fluff, but it's hardly so bad that it feels like a copout--it's a charming story, but it's not a 1000-page epic with plotlines that need definitive resolution. It's a simple, cute way of capping off the narrative.

I would recommend this to any math enthusiast out there.
on March 11, 2012
I was able to read the preview to this book when it was released a few months prior to the publishing of Math Girls. I was really intrigued by the style of writing that Hiroshi Yuki writes with, portraying the lives of a few high school students and the strong representation of mathematical language in the book. I absolutely loved the way in which the characters made connections and showed a level of higher level thinking that I want to instill in my students. I think this book is a great read whether you love math or not. For those of you prospective buyers who are not sure whether this is worth your time, please give it a chance, I think you will come out thinking more like a mathematician. Some of the proofs are challenging, but i found the book to be very rewarding by the time I finished learning, I mean reading :)
on January 14, 2017
Focuses on some of the amazing, even mysterious, relationships in the world of math. Some of it way over my level of math understanding, but still fun to read about. The relationships of the three girls in the book who study math were just a platform for the math discussions. The "drama" of the their relationships detracted from the book, in my humble opinion.
on August 13, 2016
Very good! Nice story line and plot that flows easily with the mathematical concepts. I will definitely be reading the next one once I finish with this!
on May 30, 2016
Wonderful series of math books.......I have been a Math teacher for 36 years and learned some new things.....Excellent.....A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+