Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on October 28, 2012
I teach an honors seventh grade course, in which students are expected to learn about the history of math and the history of numbers. These stories were such a great introduction for them into the great people that invented math, and the great things people can do. My students were especially fascinated by Archimedes and Fibonacci. Many of my female students found themselves aligned with Maria Agnesi. My non-honors students keep asking when they get to hear the cool stories the other students keep talking about.

This book is well-written, and the stories are long enough to have some depth, but short enough to be entertaining. I am sure these books will see much use in my classes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2016
Well-written accounts of mathematicians lives and contributions to mathematics. We cross-reference the stories with history lessons, so that they are timely. We homeschool, so for us this is easily possible. I'm sure any child interested in the field of mathematics would enjoy these.
on January 4, 2014
Our homeschooling family loves these books! Gets kids interested in math and inspires projects and exploration. My 11 year old read them himself over a few day period and he's not even a big math fan, he does love reading and stories so these books really speak to him.
VINE VOICEon July 30, 2012
The stories included about great mathematicians are short, entertaining, and informative. These cover a lot of history, mathematical concepts, and a lot of interesting information about how these great minds worked and how they came to their discoveries. I like also that these stories put math into a real context that shows why it is important and what types of problems it can solve...like how to make a donkey cross a stream, or how to move a giant boat without wheels. Both volumes are great. I wish I'd read these when I was in school...they are still useful and informative as an adult though. Our whole family enjoys these books.
on August 6, 2014
love this
on October 3, 2016
These books about mathematicians are amazing. They really held my interest.
on February 28, 2017
Perfect! Just what I wanted!!
on March 15, 2009
Excellent book--be sure to get both volumes. Only wish I would have known about these a long time ago! The different chapters (one per person) make fabulous, quick read alouds that hold my almost-eight-year-old's attention beautifully, but keep me interested as well! Great mix of people from all over the world, both men and women.
on January 15, 2014
Great book. Holds kids interest and in inspires mathematical thinking. Ages 8-12 really enjoy it, 4-6 somewhat enjoy it. Mom and dad too
on January 31, 2012
We read this book as we were traveling across the US in our motorhome. Our girls loved the stories; and even the adults ended up being interested in the story of each person. Math can be fun.