Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Mathematician's Delight (Dover Books on Mathematics) Paperback – October 19, 2007
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
About the Author
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I like chapter 6 the most. Using the post and rope analogy, you can actually see how the change of base formula works( although author didn't explicitly mention this ), without using any algebraic manipulation.
This is the best book I have ever read!
I am not an educator, nor am I a mathematician, but there is not a sentence in this book that hasn't found its way into my personal philosophy of learning and education. I first read this book when I was in college, not as part of a course, but to "read around the subject" to paraphrase W.W. Sawyer. This was over 20 years ago, and recently I was reading through this book again and was astonished at how much of his advice and ideas had become part of who I am.
Just some fragments of his ideas:
1.) First study books that contain material you know 90% of, and then learn the remaining 10%.
2.) Read around a subject
3.) To learn a language, start with little children's books in that language.
4.) To learn to draw, sit on a bus and draw everything you see.
5.) Learn by doing.
6.) Develop an interest in the subject you want to learn.
And there are countless others. These sound obvious, and I am certainly not doing him justice. Read for yourself and you will be amazed at how all of this is woven into an inspiring and easy to read book that, by the way, contains some discussion of mathematics! How many authors do you know that not only teach you their subject, but teach you how to learn any subject!
This is a book that should be read by every teacher and by every student.
If you have ever had difficulty with maths - read this book.
If you teach maths then this approach should be your route map if true learning by your students is important to you.
An excellent book which has stood the test of time - first published in 1947!
I approached this with some trepidation, as when I picked it up recently, I discovered a makeshift bookmark (that had a date on it-- July of 1994) stuck at the beginning of chapter four. Had I started it and just forgotten, or had I given up thanks to the author's style?
The former, thankfully. While Sawyer may well have been a fine teacher-- and this book does present that side of him a number of times-- his prose is often dry as week-old bread. If you can get past the insomnia factor, however, his methods of explaining math were even able to help me (who failed calculus 101 twice) understand the uses of integrals and derivatives. Rather than trying to explain mathematics in a conventional manner, Sawyer attacks the problem for those of us who never grasped these things in class by taking what was then (and still is, to an extent) a revolutionary approach to explaining maths: tell the student what the problems will be used for, and offer concrete examples, BEFORE explaining the mechanics of the thing. It's beautiful. Too bad more math teachers haven't read it. They probably couldn't get past the prose. ***
Top international reviews
Then check out math dvd videos.
~6 months to settle.
Get discrete mathematics and its applications by Ken Rosen.
Then Proofs and refutations by Lakatos. Both over a summer, master both alongside
introduction to algorithms (MIT press).
~ 3 months
Applied calculus book.
Wherever interests you, as your sorted for computer science/ software development now until
Why is this? I know that males are generally supposed to have better spatial awareness so is this the fundamental reason? Calculus/algebra also engenders fear and loathing as we cannot get our heads around the idea of using letters in what is supposed to be a number-based subject????? Is education to blame? I'm in my 50s and I can't help wondering if sexism was at work here? Were females not encouraged to grasp maths 35-40 yrs ago because it was just assumed they wouldn't need to know more than how to count nappies and formula-milk measurements? I would be interested to know if any studies have been carried out to research the gender-based differences in relation to learning and enjoying maths?