Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on June 19, 2017
Stillwell's Math and its History is the one book I would pack in my suitcase for spending a few years alone on an island. This text is also the book I wish I'd received in high school - or at least read as an undergrad. Why? Because Math and its History fullfills Stillwell's promise in his preface that he would integrate the disparate areas of mathematics and show how they "play" together. He also vividly demonstrates the constant baton passing in the relay race of inventing math, one mathematician influencing another to go farther, often with surprising results. I also love his synoptic approach to ancient math so he can focus his pages (and my time) giving me a roadmap to follow in my studies.
on October 19, 2015
A very readable and comprehensive history of mathematics with actual mathematics included - in the text and in the problems - as opposed to merely talking about mathematics with names and dates. Of course there are enough of the names and dates included to make it a real history too.
on January 24, 2016
Excellent guide thru History of Mathematics with a good depth on the subjects. This book will be my companion for a long time since Prof. Stillwell motivates us not only to learn the historical events but also to explore and understand the work of the brightest minds in the field.
on May 1, 2017
no problems
on February 2, 2017
Excellent
on March 29, 2013
Exactly what I needed to help review some old concepts as well as piece together a beautiful subject.
Well done!
on September 14, 2013
While I've enjoyed the first 10 pages, my copy was very poorly printed. There have to be at least 30 pages worth of text which are just blank.

Updated:

I previously gave this 1/5 stars for missing pages; I ordered another copy (2 years later) and everything appears to be fine now. This is a great book, and an easy read.
on June 6, 2016
excellent book by a real mathematician
on November 13, 2015
Great
on April 12, 2013
I was fully prepared to give 5 stars for an informative book. Historical mathematics is presented in a manner modern readers interested in math can clearly follow.

Until I came across the first of many blank pages, where paragraphs of text are inexcusably missing. I am not talking where the printing plates mis-struck, or or the pages slipped the binding, but pages without continuing text. Right page 9 stops mid paragraph in one section of the chapter, and left page 12 picks up mid paragraph in the next section. There are single pages blank mid proof and 3 continuous pages blank of text.

The only reason I did not rate it less are the chapters that are stil intact are very good.

Update (2014 January 20): ordered new copy of this book and was gratified that there were no missing pages this time. The quality is consistent through out and I will enjoy reading it.

updated rating to 5 stars.