Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Matilda The Musical London Cast Recording
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 29, 2013
"Matilda" is a critically acclaimed and Olivier-award winning hit in London, and from its cast recording, it's easy to see why. In creating songs for this adaptation of Roald Dahl's children's book about a young girl neglected by her comically abusive parents, comedian-musician Tim Minchin has done a fantastic job retaining the sweet and sour elements that made Dahl's fiction ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "The Witches," etc.) so indelible.

He hits the right off-kilter notes from the start in the impressive opening number," Miracle," which starts with a bunch of bratty kids singing about how wonderful they are: "My mummy says I'm a miracle/One look at my face and it's plain to see/ Ever since the day doc chopped the umbilical cord/It's been clear there's no peer for a miracle like me!" Minchin's lyrics are quick and clever throughout, and retain the black humor of Dahl's work. After Matilda is born ("My mummy says I'm a lousy little worm/My dad says I'm a bore"), she eventually summons her inner strength and a dash of telekinesis, to make a better life for herself and her sweet teacher played by Lauren Ward (who it's nice to hear on another cast recording--her performance in "Violet," from over a decade ago, still gets repeat play by me.) Aside from the comic numbers for the despicable adults, Minchin has written some genuinely poignant songs for Matilda and her teacher: "Quiet" and "My House."

While the whole cast is great, the performance that stuck with me most is by Bertie Carvel, who won an Olivier Award for his cross-dressing performance as the vile headmistress Miss Trunchbull. Nobody's played a villain quite this unique in quite this way (Stay tuned after the last track for a hilarious monologue bonus.).

I'm quite sure "Matilda" will be the best received London transplant since "Billy Elliot."
on April 21, 2013
I saw the show on Broadway this week and was immediately smitten. "Matilda" is an original musical in the grand tradition: it seamlessly integrates songs with characters, book and original source material! This old Broadway fanatic is in tears of gratitude for the brilliantly clever and musically sensitive Tim Minchin, who has given us a score with heart, wit, originality and the necessary touch of poison to honor Roald Dahl's comically sinister undercurrents. Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, the diction is impeccable on most tracks (I admit "Revolting Children" would have benefited from better enunciation). The orchestrations are delightful, performances full throttle (Bertie Carvel is a revelation as Miss Trunchbull), and the recording manages to capture the energy and genius of the live show. Bravo to all. Thank you for this contribution to a genre that has taken a tough beating in recent decades. You have renewed my faith.
on April 17, 2013
Matilda is one of those musicals that come along every 10 years or so. It's warm, funny, scary & sweet. There is something for everyone. It did take awhile to get into, but the more you listen to it, the stronger it's pull on you. Everyday I think....today, I'm not going to play it, and guess what? I always do! I can't wait to see the show, and as long as you know the basic story, the CD makes perfect sense. Buy and ENJOY!
on August 22, 2013
This London recording is excellent. I plan to see the show in London in October so that is why I did not wait for the B'way recording. I am amazed at how the children are so well prepared. I wish I could understand the lyrics from many shows as well as I can as sung by the London cast. This won Best Musical in London and was nominated for a Tony Best Musical. Great fun!
on September 22, 2012
I keep listening to this CD over and over again. It tips it's hat to Dahl's Inventive story with a truly inventive score. It's childlike when it needs to be and serious when it needs to be. It is just lovely to hear and can not wait for it to reach the shores of Australia. Broadway will be seeing it soon and I feel you are going to blown away by this show. It is just lovely, truly lovely.
on February 13, 2013

on September 12, 2013
After hearing all the music from this show I can easily see why this show recieved as many Tony nominations as it did.
This is the London, not the Broadway cast, but none the less, is a wonderful version. I love it and highly recommend it to anyone who loves a good musical.
on July 30, 2013
This was a great adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic story. Our kids loved the Broadway production and insisted on getting the cast recording. The Alphabet Song is genius! Hearing the music again brings back all the visual and sensory magic of being in the theater.
on July 18, 2013
I saw Matilda on broadway and loved everything about the musical.
the entire cast is wonderful and so talented.
I was happy to receive the CD to continue enjoying the music from Matilda, based on the book, Matilda by Ronald Dahl.
on May 13, 2013
Tim Minchin has written a wonderful score with very witty lyrics. I hope I will be able to see the show before too long. The reviews whetted my appetite and repeated listening to the CD has reinforced it.