Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Toy|Change

Showing 1-10 of 677 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 744 reviews
on July 2, 2014
I was a bit disappointed to find Matel has made the new line of Blokus boards smaller by about 1/3. The original board was 13" x 13" while this board is 10" x 10". Although it doesn't seam much it's actually a reduction of 69" square inches which is equal to about 1/3 of the total area. It also doesn't include resealable bags for the pieces (like the original did).

Note the board and pieces are still of high quality, just smaller. I personally prefer the larger board and pieces but oh well...
11 comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2015
I used to play this game a lot (actually the Trigon version) in college and, knowing how addictive it is, I decided to buy it.
I really love this game: it's easy to play (there is basically just one rule) but, when you become more experienced, you will learn quite complex strategies. I usually play it with one roommate and it's a lot of fun, but it's even more fun if there are 4 players, since alliances will be created and you will have to expand and defend your 'territory' at the same time.
If you are planning to play this game with more than 3 friends, you should buy the Trigon version (Blokus Trigon Game), since the board is shaped as an hexagon, allowing up to 6 people to play at the same time.
review image review image
on August 21, 2014
I did not realize this was a miniature version of the game Blokus when I ordered it. I was purchasing as a gift but will have to return and get the full size. I wish this was made clear in the description!
22 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2015
One of the most frustrating things for me as a parent is that pretty much every child's game or toy (that we have, anyway) requires parent involvement in some way, because there is some aspect of it that is too advanced for the children. This defeats the whole purpose of having children "go and play" so a parent can get some grown-up things done. (don't get me wrong--some toys are meant for learning and so parent involvement is appropriate; but I will also be honest and admit that there are also plenty of times when I need to do a grown-up things and want my children to be occupied with their play).

My 5-year old and 8-year old play this game together and it is terrific. The game does not require any reading nor any other parent involvement, so it is a truly independent game for them to play. We play it non-competitively, so the idea is just to fill up as much of the board as possible. This helps to avoid upsets from one or the other winning, and they just work together in a strategizing way.
on October 25, 2016
We read about this board game from a book about kids with ADHD. We've always felt our daughter will perhaps one day receive that diagnosis and this was recommended to work on some executive functioning skills. It definitely is a strategy based game and requires a lot of concentration, planning, and focus, but it was a fun kind of challenge and one that our daughter was excited to take on! At first, it seemed to complicated for her, and she got frustrated, but within a few days she was addicted and wanted to bring the game to school for game day!

One thing I will say is that you should definitely take their age recommendations to heart- it seemed challenging for kids younger than 7 from what we've experienced, but maybe your more advanced, puzzle liking, younger kids will find it to be entertaining and not too frustrating.

Great family game and our kids' school liked it too!
on April 23, 2017
I love this game! Bought it for my 7yo son for Christmas and we still play it all the time. Super simple game (just take turns putting your pieces out diagonally starting at the corner). Played this with him and my parents and they loved it so much they asked me to buy another one for them. We also lost one of the blue pieces, so I emailed Mattel asking if i could get a replacement for that one piece and they sent me a whole new blue set! I'm a single mom to my son and we play a lot of board games, currently this is our favorite to play right now since Xmas.
on February 24, 2016
My 8 year old son came across the Blokus game during a week at math summer camp. His group played this game almost every single day. He could not stopping talking about his games and his results of what happened and why it happened. He kept begging us to purchase this game so he could play and challenge us and his friends. It was super surprising that he wanted a board game so bad because all the kids now a days just want games that revolve around some type of electronics. We have never heard about this game before and did some research and found such glowing reviews about it. This game is really great and suitable for any young elementary school kid and up. It certainly does promote healthy brain activity and deliver friend competition to keep the mind sharp. My son is always excited to play anyone in a quick game of Blokus especially against me or my wife, and the amazing part is that he definitely beats us more than we beat him. It gets all of us super competitive and thinking about game strategy all the time. I see that there has been a lot of negative reviews and complaints on Amazon lately but the game that I purchased seem like it was standard size and came with 84 total pieces. I have nothing but positive things to say about this amazing game. A MUST ADD TO YOUR COLLECTION OF BOARD GAMES!!!
on November 20, 2016
I'm a teacher and I bought a few Blokus games for my class as a good game to stimulate their minds. It's a great 4 person game that can be adapted for 2 or 3 people, plus my middle school students love it. The only downfall to this particular game is that the game board can be difficult to get back in the box.
on June 12, 2017
No box to store it in. It arrives in a box that can't be used for storage once it is open. What the heck?!? I saw a comment that it was smaller than the normal size which I was fine with but who makes a game full of small piece in a box that isn't designed for reuse?
on November 27, 2016
This is a great game for the entire family. My 7 year old was able to pick up the rules on the first play through and was comfortable teaching the rules to other after our first game. This is by no means a "kids-only" game, there's enough strategy to keep adults interested as well and the nature of the game allows you to make up your own rule modifications if desired.

The quality of the game itself is also a definite plus. The base is sturdy plastic and doubles as a tray for the pieces when the game is stored. The pieces themselves are also made from sturdy plastic and feel fairly durable. In all this is a great game that has already made it to our favorites list for family game night.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.