Top critical review
17 people found this helpful
Because you can't do Half stars on these things
on March 12, 2007
The GX Duel disk is the second spinoff of the original Yugioh duel disk "Launcher" by Matel corp.
Let's start with the positives
1) The size compared to the original Disk is much larger, the design is very simple, and half of the monster/spell/trap zones are placed in a hidden capartment similar to the Dark Duelist disk.
Comparing this though to the TV series version of GX, it's very spot on.
2) Sleeve fans should rejoice as the GX disk is made espically for card sleeves designed for card game style sleeves...the fat variations you find in some card stores however are not able to fit because their width is to large.
So people who were intimidated by the original disks feeling their cards could get managed or bent can sigh some relief.
3) Duel Counter is much simpler as it's presented with special LED lights that light up a Neon Blue and White so you can see yourlife points very well in day or night.
4) This duel disk is espically designed for the older generation of Duelists...Matel which generally focuses on the younger crowds of 4+, made a disk that'll be easier to use for those of 10+.
Now for the negatives
1) As stated originally, the size is larger, but that makes it heavier. Since these things are held horizontal towards your chest, you're arm will get very tired quickly. Also as stated about the monster/spell/trap zones, they do tend to feel loose, espically towards the 2nd, and 3rd spell/trap zones as your card will very easily slide out. A special cover needs to be placed under these zones. But if you know how to do the simplist of modifications this can be fixed.
2) As stated, card sleeves can work with this disk. however if you don't use a 40 card max for your deck, the disk wont accept your cards. With sleeves the deck holder can only hold a max of 40 cards very tightly in place. Any more and they just wont fit.
Also, the graveyard is 3/4th out in the open unlike the other duel disks which use a special cover to protect them from sliding out when you move your arm around. So be warned your cards canfall out of the graveyard.
3) While the Duelcounter is helpful to know what your life points are at, it's still not a calculator, so it's a bit bothersome to hit the dials and try to minus or add your life points correctly. As the other disks lit up in lil ways for show, the GX version only does the life points.
4)As stated, this is designed for the older generation of Duelists, which means you'll see less ppl using these because of it's price. Give it another year or so, and the price will drop significantly.