Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Toy|Change

Showing 1-10 of 811 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,168 reviews
on September 22, 2007
If you skip over 5-star praising reviews, you'll find from the 4-star ones that you really need all 4 people to enjoy this game. With 2 or 3 players, the end of the game is always like this: player 1 wins, players 2 and 3 end up with one piece each that they can lay down if you let them finish the last round. You can call it a tie or you can call it "1st player wins", either way this is not a lot of fun.

Don't get upset though. There is a way to make it fun for 2 and 3 players. The creators didn't think hard enough; but you can easily mod the board, and all you need is a thin permanent marker (like Sharpie).

The general idea is to reduce the number of squares on the board so that players would run out of board space before they run out of pieces on hand.

So you take a marker, and you draw a line one square away from each of the four edges so that the 20x20 board becomes an 18x18 board. This is your 3-player board. When in 3-player, players are not allowed to place their pieces in the 1-square frame you just drew.

For 2 players, make another frame, this time 1 square away from the already reduced 3-player board. So you end up with a 16x16 board that is perfect for 2-player. Believe it or not, you can still get a tie on this board, but very rarely, and both players need to be quite creative and need some luck to get to a tie.

Another 2-player variation is that each player plays for 2 of the 4 colors (for example, player 1 for green and red, and player 2 for yellow and blue). Players still take turns and lay down one piece at a time, but you choose which of the 2 colors to play with when it's your turn. This 2x2 game is quite hard. Every time I play this variation it makes me feel my brain is about to explode (because there are too many choices and you only have one turn at a time!). I recommend trying this variation when both players already have enough experience with the regular game.
2323 comments| 1,056 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2006
Blokus is a combination of Tetris, chess and Chinese Checkers. It is incredibly easy to learn, and as tactically challenging as chess (I am an intermediate chess player). With four players, it is as riling as Monopoly ("why are you after ME all the time????"). The two player version is more calculable, as the pieces are fewer. I highly recommend both the 4 and 2 player versions of the game.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2006
This game is easy to learn in a few minutes. My 4 1/2 year old son learned the rules quickly and could play with me the first try. Becoming an expert is much harder though! The game is different each time we play, and always challenging and fun. Best of all Blokus isn't like any game I've played before. You have to plan ahead like chess, but the game changes so fast you're always changing your strategy on the fly. Blokus can be played very quickly with a young child, or at a more thoughtful pace with an adult or older child. All in all Blokus is great, and ADDICTING the way a good game should be.
on April 16, 2015
Here's my first 1 star review. Because the false advertising. I paid $35 including shipping for this version, because, according to its website, it is a older version which is bigger and suitable for a 6 years old (5+), while there is a newer version which is smaller and lower in price, only 18.11 and shipping fee free (for prime, who I am). When I receive the item, guess what? is the newer smaller and lower price version! I then check the 1 star reviews, it turns out that I am the only one who encounter this problem. I am very unhappy and am returning it.
on March 4, 2017
The reviews are misleading...I was expecting 13x13 board which I did not get. The one I received has a board that is almost 12x12...actual playing area is 11x11. The board is grey and comes with zip bags to separate the colors into. If the zip bags and slightly bigger board are the only difference I don't see what makes it deluxe. Wish I had gone with the cheaper one. I guess I paid $10 extra for cheap zip bags. I ordered the one that says Deluxe Blockus Game sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon. If I was giving stars only on the game itself it would have been 5...we love this game. It's only the confusing descriptions and reviews that made me rate it a 4.
on November 22, 2014
Bait and switch. Not the version advertised.
on August 19, 2005
We have been playing Blockus since we got it...unfortunately, it really can only be enjoyed when four people play....the directions for 2 or 3 players require you to play TWO positions each or to share the remaining , untaken position...and play is then pretty awful...but what a game with four players..fun, strategic, lots of offense and defense all played an a great looking and feeling board...we have even taken to playing in the pool...with the board on a pool raft (all parts are plastic..). The game also depends on each player having 21 very specific and individually different playing pieces...and some are very small and I live in fear that one piece will be lost and the game rendered completely unplayable...except for the two aforementioned caveats, I love the game and it would have goteen five stars...
This is an addictive game. I love the tetris feel and the thinking involved in planning out your moves. Be warned if you buy a warehouse deal though, my game's box was all kinds of messed up but the stuff inside was fine.
on January 16, 2016
We love this game. So fun - even the youngest in your crowd can learn quickly and beat even a seasoned player. Everyone should definitely have this!
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2017
I bought this game along with several others in an attempt to get my kids to understand certain math concepts in a fun way. This game is extremely simple, basically placing pieces on the board that match up at the corner with a given player's color (there are four colors). This game is great even for kindergarteners. Game play is quick, strategy is not too complicated, and I think it helps kids think about shapes and geometry a little bit. This is one of my favorite math-y board games.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.