Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Its Only a Matter of Time Before Sarah Palin Say Mitt 'The Mormon' Romney is Not Real Christian.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2010 5:21:11 PM PST
Connie Snowe says:
You Mitt Romney supporters can defend him all you want. The Evangelical voters in the South will never vote for a Mormon. More than 65% of Republican base is located in the Deep South. Mitt Romney's book was released on Tues, March 02 it is listed at No. 25 on Amazon.com bestselling books and it is trending downward faster than his 2008 presidential campaign. His book has not even reached the top 10 best selling books on Amazon.com. This is a poor showing of how well his no following supporters are buying his book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 6:25:27 PM PST
M. G. Zaloom says:
You may not know but his book topped out at #8 a few days ago. That his book is falling off the list compared to all other categories of books is not an indication of anything you just said. Sorry.

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 7:32:17 PM PST
SIMON says:
connie,

be real. i am a baptist and i am from texas. i am with jimmy carter on my own religions erroneous take on mormons. they are christians and if you look at the trends will be the most prominent christian religion in our country in a matter of time. i have no problems with them. and, furthermore, how can a country which has 44 members in congress who are jewish give a mormon a bad rap. i think that the jewish perspective of jesus christ is that he was a magician, an apostate, a fraud, but we seem to let them in congress and pay no attention to how much they detest christianity in our social fabric. so, what is wrong with a guy from a christian religion who still believes jesus is the christ. maybe if he was a jew entirely careless about jesus christ you would vote for him? think about it. god bless texas!

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 2:04:19 PM PST
Connie,

I'm a conservative Christian fundamentalist, son of a Southern Baptist pastor, born and bred and lived all my life in the South. I do not believe that the Mormon faith is compatible with Christianity but I also believe that Thomas Jefferson, my understanding is he was not a professing Christian, but is a national treasure and was used by God to help form the amazing treasure that we call America. I don't personally believe that Mormons have sound Biblical doctrine on their side, but I do believe they have strong moral underpinnings and that God can use a man like Mitt Romney to preside over this wonderful nation with the wealth of understanding that this book shows he most certainly has. I've never been a big Mitt Romney fan, mostly because I didn't know much about his background or eco-socio-political beliefs. But after reading this book I would gladly campaign for him and pray for him, as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2010 6:42:57 PM PST
From the ratings that count: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/

Number 1!!

Yours in Christ, Brother Niv

JesusChrist.lds.org

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2010 6:49:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2010 6:49:49 PM PST
DB COOPER's post:
i am with jimmy carter on my own religions erroneous take on mormons.
======================================
Thank you. I have also read President Carters defense of the LDS in the following book:
Presidents and Prophets: The Story of America's Presidents and the Lds Church

Thank you for standing by a fellow Christian.

God bless you,

Yours in Christ, Brother Niv

JesusChrist.lds.org

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 2:42:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2010 2:44:24 PM PDT
M. G. Zaloom says:
I'm a conservative Christian; I voted for Romney in '08 and I'm enthusiastically supporting him in '12. His Mormon beliefs (unlike were he a Muslim) has nothing to do with his governance over a free nation. As an enthusiastic supporter I don't have to pretend that Mormonism is consistent with authentic, historical Christianity. It might be an offshoot of Christianity the way Islam considers itself an offshoot of Judaism, and political correctness might insist we say all religions are true, but we all know that's a ridiculous claim. My point is I don't understand Christians who say they would never vote for a Mormon, but might vote for someone without any religious convictions. As far as I know there's no reason to maintain that position. We're voting for the President of the United States, not the Pastor of the United States.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 1:53:40 AM PDT
R. Bartlett says:
Well, now, Connie Snowe, you definitely show the "love of Christ" here. As a matter of fact, Romney had a lot of following in the South and was ahead of Mike Huckabee who not only is a Southerner, but is a Southern Governor. How do you explain that Miss Hate Monger?

You might want to check on the NY Times best seller list and see where Romney's book is. You just put your foot in your mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 4:35:54 AM PDT
SIMON says:
rb,

your attempt to sound like a southern hick in mocking connie is disturbingly snl. we all appreciate your belief in romney as a person but you unwittingly have failed yourself in the "love of christ" column. you have made your valid points with an accusation of connie being a "hate monger" which probably is not true. seems many good people are putting a foot where it does not belong. best to you rb! no apology is a very good book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 3:47:48 PM PDT
R. Bartlett says:
My gosh, did you really read my post? My attempt to sound like a southern hick? How did you come up with that? Did you read Connie's post? Her post dripped with hate. You'd better read it again. Then, read the history of Mormon persecution and murder in the South; that kind of crime begins with hate messages like Connie's. As soon as you read up on the history of Southern persecution of Mormon's you can write me an apology for not knowing the type of person Connie and her ilk are.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 4:56:39 PM PDT
SIMON says:
rb,

i really hope you are not a mormon because you sound like none of the mormons i know. they are above it. connie is just reflecting a very large opinion in the south. please don't try to sound like you were personally persecuted in the south by non-mormons. you are probably a convert to mormonism and some of your old baptist or puritan relatives may have been in that group of persecutors.

you sound like a modern jew who has not much more to do with the holocaust than i do but would like sympathy and apologies forever more. you really are a centrally located personality to think you deserve an apology for someone elses suffering!!

i know what type of people connie and her ilk are. they are good people who just need to be a little more real and understanding. they have been told and believe lies. but your example only sets up confrontation. you are really no different from her in a social dynamic sense. you just export different terms for a fixated pain. i am sorry you are frustrated. the gospel of jesus christ should be able to heal you. are you really a christian your self? or a professional baptized religionist flying under the flag of mormonism.

connie is just a person as are you. sam houston was moved by the mormon plight and joseph smith was looking into taking the saints to texas with his blessing. read that. love is the only thing which is going to move people to your faith, not what you are doing. if i ever become a mormon i hope you are at byu taking poli sci impressing yourself, and not in my neighborhood.

lastly, the gospel of jesus christ does not have such politically formulated opinions as either of you are projecting.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2010 5:19:53 PM PDT
What a disgusting anti-Semite you are! You seem to have a real issue with "the jews." I guess that is more of that good ole Xian luv you guys profess.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2010 5:43:14 PM PDT
SIMON says:
thanks for the input. actually i am not disgusting nor am i that other label you used. you trying to be intelligent is very unbecoming! you sound like a typical anti-christian! say hi to your mohel for me!

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 9:12:50 PM PDT
W. Tarin says:
If a person from the south votes for someone based on religious preference, especially a Christian religion, then there is a real problem in the south. The vote should be for the man (or woman) and what that person can do for out country. Remember JFK? A lot of people did not vote for him because they thought the Vatican would take over our country. Very ignorant southerners (not all, just those who think religion is all that matters).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 10:45:45 PM PDT
SIMON says:
hi w., i think we are both thinking it is ok to vote for mitt if you like. and, i think i will or possibly ron paul. but please go easy on the southerners as these are my people. it is a part of the country with deep traditions thats all. mormonism is a very new thing to many everywhere. i dont know if you are a mormon or not but southerners may make some of the best mormons ever just like catholics do so i have heard:) i might even become one. religion is important to most southerners and this is a good thing. the notion that there are more scriptures which testify of jesus christ is just a really new concept. it will just take a little time to understand mormons in the south. you want to see ignorant you dont need to look in the south. try the whitehouse! how is the great society working for us so far?

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 9:26:08 AM PDT
W. Tarin says:
DB. My point was that it is not right to vote for a person strictly based on that person's religion. Again, look back at how many people would not vote for JFK simply because he was Catholic. I lived at that time and remember it well, and voted according to my feelings. And yes, I am LDS and have been for only 10 years. But I vote for the person, not that person's religion. As to southerners, I am also one, even though I am now living in Colorado. I do indeed know the southern way of thinking, especially the southern way of thinking about religion. Southerners take religion a lot more seriously than much of the rest of the country, and there are many LDS members in the south. Religion is a personal choice and generally should not be used against a person, especially in my mind the Christians, which cover a lot of denominations, to include the Christian faith of LDS. Those who oppose LDS know almost nothing about the LDS church. I know almost nothing of Lutherans, for example, but I do not oppose them or vocally criticize them. I was raised a Baptist, and the specific church I attended during my youth regularly criticized other religions because the Baptists are the only ones going to heaven. This always bothered me and I did not like it and later became Methodist until I discovered that the LDS church was a better fit for me. As to the white house, I did not vote for that person, not because he is half black or because of his religion, but because I did not see him as a good fit for the needs of our country, and so far, it appears that I voted correctly. I had hoped that Mitt would get the Republican nomination because of his qualifications, but that did not work out, so I went with McCain. I am a registered Democrat, but I have voted for many Republicans over the years, simply because many times the Republican candidate is the best one. I do not vote straight party line and see no reason why I should. Religion has never been the issue with me in all the elections I have seen and voted in because I have not yet seen a candidate who is intent on destroying this country based on his/her religion. If Mitt were Catholic, or Lutheran, or Baptist, or other Christian, I would still vote for him.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 10:07:37 AM PDT
As someone from the Deep South with mostly Baptist friends and relatives, I can say that Romney probably received the most support out of any candidate in the primaries early on. Granted, once McCain pulled ahead, everyone kind of jumped on that bandwagon when primary voting actually came around, but the fact remains that Romney embodies a lot of beliefs that the South holds dear.

In any case, the fact is that the South is safely Republican. If it went Republican in 08, at the height of anti-Republican sentiment, it most definitely will now that the tide has swung in the GOP's favor. In all of the places where the election will actually be fought, his religion of choice won't matter as much.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
No Apology: The Case for American Greatness
No Apology: The Case for American Greatness by Mitt Romney (Hardcover - March 2, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars (251)