Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,390 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,724 reviews
on January 9, 2016
After reading this guide from cover to cover, making all kinds of notes, and cross referencing it with information from internet sources such as Trip Adviser, it's easy to see why it has such high reviews. I started with the Fodors Hawaii 2016 guide to get an overview of all the islands. That's a great book in its own right, and it was a good resource for helping us decide which island to visit for our upcoming trip. But after making that decision, this guide devoted to Maui offered FAR more specific insight about things to do and see, where to stay and eat, and all kinds of great details. I generally consider travel guides to be completely useless when it comes to lodging and dining because the information is always so generic, and it is often there because the business paid to have it included. This is the first guide book I've ever used that actually has useful information about lodging and dining. The details about the road to Hana are particularly noteworthy. Knowing what's not worth stopping to see and what's important to see, as well as how difficult it is to access some of the sites, is great to know. In short, DO NOT PLAN A TRIP TO MAUI WITHOUT READING THIS BOOK.

So why, then, did I give it only four stars? The main reason is that I don't like how the subtopics, such as beaches and adventures, are separated into their own sections. It would be far more convenient to include them in their respective regional sections. For beaches in particular, I had to constantly flip back and forth between the beaches section and the regional sections because all the maps are in the regional sections. The second issue issue is that the book doesn't offer any insight into staying in condos and other rentals. Instead, it includes information only about resorts and hotels. You'd be amazed how inexpensive it is to rent a condo or even an entire house on Maui. Almost all of them are concentrated in South Maui (which, as the book points out, is actually the eastern shore), in Kihei and south from there. Obviously the authors can't stay in all these rentals and review them, but they could at the very least point out that that kind of lodging is an excellent option in that area. Doing my own research, I found that the vast majority of the rentals are in the same handful of condo developments, so it seems like the authors could at least provide reviews about those developments, such as their amenities, convenience, how quiet they are, etc.

Those criticisms aside, I still say this is an outstanding resource, and I'm very glad I found it.
33 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2017
I love these books. We are planning for our first trip to Hawaii. My husband likes to do research online, but I prefer books, but its hard to know which ones are good. This one is amazing. There is a good mixture, of what to do, how to get there, a little history about places, and humor. Thank you so much for these books!
on July 5, 2017
Great book, great advice on where to stop and where to skip. We were very happy with this book and compared it to several others on the market. This was the standout. We found several beautiful spots that we had to ourselves because they are not well known. The authors do a great job of getting you to those secret gems. Once in a while, we would cross paths with someone else holding the same book. We were as happy with the advice to skip certain things as we were with the advice to see certain things. It saved us effort and pointed us in the right direction. Great vacation because of this book! Also used the Kauai book - another great resource.
on February 12, 2017
We have used this series for all the islands through many editions. Nicely done and points out many hidden gems. Latest edition has many updates, and we always carry the latest. In com ination with the app, it's a great resource and well written.
on February 22, 2017
Excellent book, very helpful and entertaining. We have used Andrew Doughty's Big Island version in the past. The best books we've found for exploring all the islands have to offer and then some.
on August 26, 2017
the book was good I had read it before going and marked some sights, ideally you would do that and then have a navigator holding the book especially on hana highway to tell you where to stop at coming attractions. I did a lot of online research of what to do in maui prior to going and most of the things I had already knew about, but overall I was pleased with the book. I would consider purchasing it for other islands.
on August 25, 2017
What a great book. I wish I'd had it before I made ANY reservations for my recent trip. Mr. Doughty and his team really do get to every nook and cranny on the island and give very honest reviews of simply anything you can imagine. If you're planning a trip to Hawaii, you really need to get one of his books. He has one for each island.
on October 15, 2015
Good basic info but there are a number of details that we saw that are out of date or wrong. The 'no frills' snorkel trip to Molokini hasn't existed for a few years. A couple directions are a bit off. But, the guide was very helpful overall.

We used google and yelp ratings for restaurants. We would rather get scores of opinions about a place than those of a small team of guidebook writers but that is not a knock on the guidebook! a lot of other critiques of the guidebook focused on restaurants but don't use any guidebook for that!

One important push back to the book. They mention Boss Frog's dive service only long enough to give them a terrible review. We did not do a dive but a snorkel trip with them to Molokini and the crew was super attentive, service-oriented, and did a great and simple trip. Food was adequate, time at the crater and the shore location was adequate, good equipment, etc. For $60 with Boss Frog instead of $100 to $130 with the highly-recommended outfits made us very happy we took a chance on them. Our sample size is one, of course, but it was a very good experience.
on July 3, 2017
read this book before our trip to Maui and we had a blast. I would by this again 10X's over. The tips you get in the book are amazing.....
There is an APP of the same content, but I like the book so I can tag it up and write in it...I am old school that way in my planning. Yet, I hear the app is great too.
on March 9, 2017
The best guide book, period..they really have great restaurant recommendactions which we follow and are never disappointed. Bottom line, they do their homework and update regularly, we call it "the bible"