Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 24, 2013
I've read some of the other reviews that criticized the fact that the story is told through a variety of narratives, rather than as a "story," with a beginning, middle and end.

What I don't think a lot of folks realize when they read those reviews,is that the story continues throughout the narratives. It's not a compilation of 25 different folks all telling the same tale of how the zombies took over planet Earth one day, reiterating the same story over and over.

It's a progressive story told throughout the narratives/interviews, giving an introspective view from one country/continent to the next as the timeline of the story actually progresses.

Here's my bottom line: If you read the book, knowing from the get-go that you're going to be reading a compilation of "interviews," which will weave the entire tale for you, I truly think you'll like the book. It's a great read.
22 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 19, 2013
The book is excellent, and the survival guide is interesting, but you should know exactly what you're getting into with them both. Brooks has clearly spent A LOT of time contemplating the large scale, global consequences of a zombie apocalypse.

There is a lot of work out there contemplating the personal journies of individuals surviving in an undead wasteland, but to my knowledge this story is unique in both scope and format. A very intellectual read for this genre.

The survival guide is the outcome of the thought experiment that is world war z. The what, how, when, and where of survival. There is no plot, no characters, just survival advice. Not everyone is going to be able to get into it.
on September 10, 2015
I personally thought the hype was better then either book. The survival guide was minimal at best, it could have been way more in depth as of choices of weapons and materials. The book was better than the movie, it had many good parts... not using the book in the movie is a perfect waste of source material.
on July 9, 2013
This was an excellent set to read and very enjoyable at that! My only issue was how the ebook was put together for whenever I went to a footnote, it refused to return to the main text and my reading place was lost thus necessitating a search every time for where I left off. It came to the point where I had to manually note the location number at the bottom every time I wanted to check a footnote so that I could return to that spot when I was done. This was not the author's fault but rather the publisher. I have no regrets about buying the content as it did not disappoint!
on January 13, 2014
I thought this book would follow the movie, but it was a book of Zombie short stories. Individual accounts of what happened worldwide during World War Z. I stil found it very enjoyable reading. Glad I bought it as a set. The "Zombie Survival Guide" is also unique and great addition to my zombie paperback collection.
Highly recommended to fellow zombie enthusiasts!
on August 29, 2013
I read the book before I saw the film of the same name and I have to say that the book was much more fun. Written as a pseudo-historical work recounting the battle against the undead this book is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the matter-of-fact way it dealt with the decidedly non-mundane task of surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. If you want some useful tips for lasting the distance in the upcoming war then you would find it hard to go past this book.
on July 24, 2013
Saw the movie first which I heard was completely different from the book. That being said, enjoyed the movie, going in with low expectations. The book was awesome, and I can understand while people disliked the movie for being so different from the book, but still enjoyed both mediums greatly.
on December 10, 2014
It was a little tough but I got through ALL of the survival guide. It's fun but its probably more fun to pick up and read at random than to try and read the whole thing in one marathon. WWZ was great. Extremely interesting and having read this after the movie, I wish it was truer to the books feel, however I understand a strait adaptation would be a tough sell to box offices.
on May 11, 2014
Hooked on TWD(The Walking Dead) & loved the World War Z movie so purchased the books to read up on what may have missed -by not reading the books first. Can't say there is great insite or changes the movie experience. Books are a set in their own sleeve if into collecting these are a very nice set of books.
on March 21, 2015
World War Z is brilliant. It is nothing like the movie. I appreciate the societal, geographical, and political issues it explores. Each chapter is a different view point, a different story.