Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 879 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 924 reviews
on January 23, 2011
I don't normally write reviews, although I read a lot of them and find them useful. So I'm writing this just because i read the bad reviews for this product and almost bought the more expensive ones; but decided on this one to save some money. My worry was that to save a few bucks I was risking breaking a tape or a VCR per the other review's comments.

I am pretty sure the reason they had problems is they didn't use it properly. The instructions are pretty bad, and if you don't use it right it will break a tape and/or mess up your VCR. So here is the way to use it;

the instructions just say open the cover, put in the tape, and close the cover; but its a lot more than that.

1. open the cover, and you'll see two posts sticking up that are spring loaded. It is very important you don't do what I did, which was figure those go in front of the tape, so I pushed them open and dropped the tape so the posts were on the outside of the tape. After experimenting and seeing how they work, I realized those posts go inside the tape, so just put the tape in without moving the posts.

2. and when you put the tape in, be sure the front flap of your VHSC tape pops all the way open. The first time I put in the tape I didn't push it all the way down, and the flap didn't even open at all. Don't force it, but when the tape engages the gear, the flap pops open. The gears are plastic, so fiddle with it, don't force it.

3. Now here is where you can break the tape; the instructions say "close the cover" which is right, but they don't mention that by closing the cover you are actually doing something else; the cover has a gear built into it, as the cover closes those two posts that are inside the tape push forward and out, spreading the tape out and pushing it to the front of the Adapater Cassette. This is how the tape is pulled out of your VHSC and held out so when the tape goes in the VCR it touches the VCR Head. When you slide the cover forward do it slowly, sort of back and forth, with light pressure. If you force it, it will snap your tape!

if you do all this, I think you'll find this adapater is excellent, and will save you a bunch of money over the other ones that are double price, but probably have better instructions.
1919 comments| 375 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2014
I purchased two of these because the price was right. The door to insert the VHS-C tape wouldn't even open on the first one, so I tried the next. It initially functioned as it should. I was able to insert my tape and put the unit into my VHS player. The adapter made a loud buzzing noise as it played and skipped regularly. About halfway through my tape it quit running. I ejected the adapter and discovered it had eaten my tape!

If you value your VHS-C tapes, don't buy one of these. Find motorized versions, which work just fine. I had one for 10+ years until my son fiddled with it and broke it. Regretfully, I took a chance on one of these manual jobs.

The company I purchased it from gave me a quick refund and didn't even want these defective units returned. I would make a purchase from them anytime—just not for one of these adapters.
on September 7, 2014
This did what I needed it to do. I found a couple of old VHS-C tapes laying around. Using this adapter, I was able to play them through my VCR and record them onto my computer so I now have them digitized and don't need really need the tapes any more. For less than $5, you can't beat that!
It was an open box item so I was a little worried about it but it came in, was in good shape and worked just fine.
on April 22, 2015
All of the adapters I used in the past were battery operated. This one is manual. When you close the cover, it moves the pins to push the tape in the correct place. I like it better than the battery version. My VCR has a harder time rewinding the VHSC tapes in this. I do not know if it is the adapter or my VCR. Since my VCR was top of the line 4 head - HiFi w/Firewire, I can only assume the adapter has more friction than the other style of adapters. Either way, it does the job well.
on January 31, 2014
You don't slam this around or jerk it open and closed. It did what I needed but like all these models it is lightweight and somewhat fragile. Use care and go slow and it will give results.
on December 17, 2013
This is review one of two(possibly). I am pretty screwed on my time frame and when I went to use this converter, the left roller that presses the tape out is missing and there's an obvious broken piece that moves, but does nothing. So the tape only gets pushed out on the right side.

The box the adapter came in was completely sealed and there's no roller or pieces anywhere.

Right now I am even in more of a time pinch to convert these tapes.

I ordered a second one and paid $.80 more than the first one I ordered, and paid an extra $3.99 to have it here tomorrow. Amazon wouldn't replace it for some pathetic reason.

If the item works and does the job it's supposed to, I will update this review.

--------------------------

Second review. New Maxell VHS-C adapter came today. It was the same product but the packaging it came in was newer (I think).

This item didn't have the broken part my first one had and this item worked perfectly. I only had about 1.5 hours of video to convert on 3 tapes, but it worked. For the price, it was worth it.

It's very cheaply made and isn't meant for impatient people.

1: Make sure there's no slack in the tape. I don't know what they consider "slack" but, it can't hurt to do this step. Finger in the gear hole of the VHS-C tape, turn counter-clockwise slowly until you feel resistance.

2: Put the tape in the adapter slowly and with caution, press it down evenly, then know what is supposed to happen (VHS-C tape door flips open) and that the tape is flush inside the adapter.

3: SLOWLY shut the adapter's door with two thumbs with even pressure, be aware that there's two rollers that will extend the VHS-C tape outwards and draw out tape from the VHS-C cassette. Do this SLOWLY in case there's an issue, never force.

For the price this is a 4/5 item. If it was $50, it would be a 2/5 item.
on March 11, 2014
Right out of the box we put the cassette in it and straight to the VCR player, we were watching old movies we had for years. Very recommended.
on May 21, 2013
This is the first review I have ever written - I've been an Amazon customer for over a decade. This is not about complaining but informing. This is the first product I have ever had to return to Amazon. I tried the adapter in two VCRs. The first (Allegro) would barely accept the adapter. When finally inserted, adapter would not properly engage - VCR door would not close. Made numerous attempts. Second VCR (Sylvania) accepted adapter but crumpled the tape and pulled the tape out of the cassette on several tries.

I followed the instructions to the letter. The VHS C tape door did pop open. The tape was exposed and fully positioned around the posts once the adapter door was closed. The tape was tightened - there was no slack. There was nothing else I could have done differently.

Very disappointing; however, I am going to convert my two tapes to DVD for just double the price, which is the better option, ultimately. I am sure this adapter will work successfully in certain VCRs, but you will have no way of knowing in advance, so that is a risk you will take in purchasing this product.
on April 12, 2015
I had a few home movies that I've been meaning to convert to digital for a while now. I had an adapter that I use to use way back in the day that no longer works so I picked this one up.

This one got the job done and works like a charm. The only down side (If I really had to 'find' any) would be you need to make sure that when you put in the tape and you slide the door that you make sure you do it slowly otherwise the levers that make the tape full VHS size may not always full extend. It's not a big deal and should be what you are doing to make sure the converter doesn't break.
on April 18, 2014
I was searching for a battery powered Panasonic VHS-C adapter because the one that I've had for years had a leaky battery, and I had to take it apart to get the tape out of it. Most of the Panasonic and other battery powered adapters were very expensive, even used, so I opted for this brand new one. I had used it to convert two very special small tapes to my computer before I realized that it was scraping the edges and damaging the tapes. Now, they won't play clearly, the sound is bad and they jump. Do not place any tapes that you value into this type of adapter.