Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 27, 2003
I bought this book because of the other rave reviews at this site and was very disappointed. I should mention that I am a Naturopath.
Anyone would lose weight on this starvation diet. Since when does "3 slices of fat-free american cheese and 5 fat-free crackers" qualify as a "meal"? Very few could stick to this for long, and who would want to....life has to have some enjoyment. A diet with so little fat is not healthy, and we need our Omega-3 oils, esp. in America, where most of us are deficient in Omega-3's.
Sentences like "You must eliminate all dairy excepting egg whites" do not inspire confidence. The last time I looked, cows weren't laying eggs.
Most overweight people have insulin resistance and the resulting reactive hypoglycemia. The weekly juice fast would be a complete disaster for those people.
In my opinion, the best plan out there is "The Metabolic Typing Diet" by William Wolcott. It is completely individualized, makes genetic sense, unlike most other diets, and is not as complicated and time-consuming as the plan in this book.
I have no doubt there are good things in this book, esp. for those with no background at all in what constitutes healthy eating, but I think there are much better books out there.
51 helpful votes
52 helpful votes
on January 18, 2014
This book is a Excellent Guide for Reducing your weight , and how to Control you eating habits, and a Women can learn to feel Good about her self again . Thank You for the Great advise!!!
1 helpful vote
on October 26, 2005
Received this book in Great condition and exactly when they said it would ship. Thank you so much!
1 helpful vote
0Comment|Report abuse
If you are looking for an easy path to weight loss, be forewarned--this book isn't it! In fact, author Christopher Guerriero clearly states that you can't eat poorly and be healthy; rather, he says "you must eat healthfully, exercise properly, and train your mind to help you in the process." In his Prelude to the System chapter, he provides an overview of his 4-step plan, which includes cleansing your system, reformulating your eating, introducing exercise, and training your mental core. Guerriero makes a point of saying that this is not difficult, but you may think otherwise once you start getting into the details. In the first stage, cleasing, you are required to go through a one to three day clease in which you consume nothing beyond water, fresh vegetables or fruits with their juices, and fresh vegetable soup (only if you have made it yourself with distilled water and organic vegetables). Once you get past this step, which sweeps your system of impurities, you are ready to move on to increasing your metabolism through Guerriero's diet plan. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any easier from here: you begin by eliminating fats, move on to limiting carbohydrates, increase your intake of raw vegetables, limit yourself to certain types of food prepartion (baked, boiled, or steamed), and finally, eliminate all dairy products. And, if all that weren't enough, Guerriero also suggests that you stop all alcohol and coffee intake. In order to make this diet plan a reality, Guerriero provides you with a 3-day template which you utilize in 7-day cycles for the 30 days of his program. He himself describes the diet as "bland," although it allows for 4-5 mini-meals per day. He also recommends a high water intake as well as use of certain supplements. Really, the information is not at all new; in fact, Baron Baptiste describes a very similar clease and diet plan in his book Journey Into Power. However, I suppose the difference here is that Guerriero's specific aim is to impact your metabolism.

Guerriero then moves on to the importance of exercise in maximizing your metabolism. He emphasizes the need for both strength and cardiovascular training, and he provides an overview of concepts associated with each. However, he does not offer any specific type of exercise plan; rather, he repeatedly refers you to consult with a personal trainer or other fitness expert. Virtually the entire second half of the book is devoted to the mental aspects of the program. Guerriero addresses such issues as breathing, managing your emotions, modelling your behavior after successful people, visualization, and motivation for exercise. I felt that much of this information was common sense and that there wasn't much "meat" to it, as evidenced by the short chapters (8-14 pages) with too many unnecessary headings. Finally, the book ends with a seven-day plan for increasing your metabolism; basically, this chapter just repeats the information which had previously been presented in a shorter, more condensed form. To be fair, I did not actually try the techniques suggested in this book; I already exercise regularly, and I was not prepared to give my diet the total overhaul which Guerriero requires. For someone who is motivated to make major lifestyle changes but has not yet found a program which works for them, this book might be the answer, but I think that most of us will want to look elsewhere for solutions.
69 helpful votes
70 helpful votes
on March 29, 2005
Over the past ??? years I've used a variety of weight loss methods - read a lot of books - joined local weight loss programs - and even went to a hypnotist, but each time I'd lose the weight, I'd find it again shortly afterwards.

This book has the right blend of simple dieting secrets; exercise tips, motivation, and free follow-up advice. After a couple of weeks, you're living a healthier lifestyle and losing a lot of weight. After only a few days I felt a healthy surge of energy. My body began shaping up within the first week. I've lost over 18 pounds and I'm really enjoying the process.

I read quote by Christopher that went something like this ... Even if you have no time, no motivation, and no energy I can help. And he sure did help me - and a lot of my friends as well!

Christopher Guerriero doesn't promise overnight success like many other authors do. He promotes well-being and a sensible lifestyle which causes your metabolism to become healthy. This healthy lifestyle has given me loads of extra energy and it helped me lose that stubborn body fat faster than I expected.

I try not to weigh myself too much, but I know I'm getting great results because I'm getting compliments about the changes in my body and in my attitude. Before Christopher, I never felt supported. The free follow-up and support that he and his team offer to all book owners really made the difference for me.

Maximize Your Metabolism: How To Double Your Metabolism In 30 days Or Less by Christopher Guerriero is well worth the money. My health and fitness are worth much more than the cost of the book and the time it takes to do this great program.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on January 16, 2006
This book is for anyone who is ready and willing to do whatever it takes to live a healthy life. This is not for those who want to lose weight while still eating Big Macs and doughnuts! This book gives insight and information on how to get your body back to it's natural healthy state and keep it that way. It's not easy, but it is worth it. Our bodies are not meant to live on the crud we put into them. Marketing and habit have distorted our view of what a healthy body really is. Following the principles of this book will help you get your body and mind in a state of sustainable good health. Believe me, I've tried many, many of the popular programs over the years, but this is the one that has changed my life and helped me keep it that way!
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on April 3, 2005
I read an article in a magazine recently about Christopher Guerriero and his book Maximize Your Metabolism. The article made some hefty promises - which I had troubles believing until I actually tried the program.

After following the parts that the magazine detailed, I lost almost 12 pounds, but even better I felt like I was 10 years younger (I'm 45) with energy to spare, waking up refreshed, full of energy and mentally prepared for the day - all this just because I made a couple of simple changes in my lifestyle.

I thought if I could get results like that just from an excerpt from a magazine, I should at least buy the book and try the full program...

...after only 10 more days I lost another 5 pounds (that was the last 5 pounds that I had been trying to lose for over 3 years)!

Now it's now been over 2 years and I've kept it all off - but I'm back to buy another copy of this book for a friend in my book club - when you buy multiple copies to share with your friends, that says a lot for the quality of a book.

If you thought that getting into great shape had to take a lot of work, or a lot of time and effort - then I suggest you get a copy of this book and discover the truth about getting a great body simply by Maximizing Your Metabolism.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on June 10, 2003
I just met this author at a celebrity book signing that he was doing in LA. He was not only a great guy, but he absolutely "looks the part". Most of the health & fitness guru's or diet experts I've met over the years look relatively out of shape...to put it nicely - but this guy looks great, has tons of energy, and his advice is very helpful.
I took his book home, read it cover to cover in 2 days, implemented what he advises in the book, and have since used his techniques with my own personal clients (I'm a certified personal trainer in NY). My clients are reaching their goals and they thank me, when in all honesty, they should be thanking my 'teacher' - the author of this book - Christopher Guerriero.
This book is a treasure of secrets that personal trainers like me rarely share with our clients. It's a must read.
14 helpful votes
15 helpful votes
on March 25, 2005
I used to do 1 or 2 different diets each year - never getting the same results that the books promised, and I yo-yo'ed up and down in weight causing my metabolism to get very slow, amking it even harder for me to lose weight the next time around.

Maximize Your Metabolism fixed my metabolism.

I saw the book on Amazon about 6 months ago - bought it, and within days I felt more energized, more healthy, and more vibrant.

I lost more than 40 pounds, but this time I did it in a healthy, permanant way, and I'm so proud of my results because I know that this is the last diet I'll ever need - and it was so easy.

I highly recommend it :)
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on February 10, 2008
I bought this book in a charity shop for next to nothing and, unsurprisingly, that's what it's worth; next to nothing.

If you follow any of the high protein diets with a sensible combination of strength exercise and some aerobic exercise I feel sure you would see the same results.

Personally speaking, the fittest, leanest people I've ever met in my life are the Sherpas and Sherpanis of the region between Nepal and Tibet. These people have been known to climb to the summit of Everest in only a little more than 8 hours and I don't recall any of those that I met obsessing endlessly about the alkalinity of their diet or any of the other nonsense promoted by this book.
3 helpful votes