Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,905 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,259 reviews
on November 6, 2014
I ordered this after having played it once. My parents did the same. The gameplay is novel, the game itself attractive, and the learning curve is low. It made an impression.

Three ups:

- The game is fairly durable. We've been teaching my four year old to play and the only damage has been some bending of resource cards. Everything else is wood or thick cardboard.

-The gameplay is simple enough that my four year old is able to play, yet deep enough that neither myself or my wife feel we've mastered it. Between the strategic and diplomatic aspects of the game and the ability to randomize the board, the game plays well time and time again without the feeling of repetition or blandness of some games ("Sorry!" Comes to mind...). In addition, gameplay is fairly short, an hour is our average, and setup is quick. Great for a rainy day.

-It is a handsome game. The level of detail in the hex pieces draws the eye, the resource cards look similar enough that my four year old grasped the relationship intuitively, and the player pieces are elegantly simple.

Three downs:

-The price. At almost double the price of a regular board game, I was uncertain of the value. We love it, and the only problem I have with the price now is that I hesitated for almost two years because of it. I wish I'd bought it sooner.

-The resource cards. They aren't very sturdy compared to all the other pieces. Not even as hardy as good playing cards.

-Two player games leave something to be desired. This is a fairly common problem with boardgames, but I'd like to find something captivating enough to play weekly and not have it age from being played with just me and my wife. This definitely needs three players, and I believe the box states just that.

The take home points: My only regret is not buying it sooner. If you have two people you can play with regularly, this will provide hours of entertainment.
on December 15, 2015
I have lost many a Sunday afternoon to Settlers. Do you know why I purchased Settlers? Because each of my friends has purchased our own set... we do not want to find ourselves at each others house and wanting to play but not have a board to set up. We have taken turns hosting and every time it has been fun.

It is a game of strategy, in my opinion a slightly more complicated/sophisticated version of Monopoly (although my friends vehemently disagree). Instead of building houses and hotels you build towns and cities, instead of collecting rent, you collect resources, and instead of chance cards you have victory cards... but somehow it seems more fun. There is an element of Chess- because you do have to build roads to tie your cities together, and to do that you have to have foresight and plan ahead.

This is a game of champions- and voted best Table Game by folks who vote on those things- be warned that once you start playing it may become addictive. Be prepared to be suckered into the sport for years to come.

I am reviewing this product in an effort to help other Amazon customers through relaying my experience with the product and providing any insight I garnered. Had I not liked this product, I would state so here in my review. I would really appreciate that if you found my review helpful, that you would please indicate so below by clicking the YES button below.
on November 18, 2015
My family has had so much fun with this game. It is easy to figure out. I played this with my 13, 12, and 11 year old children. We are still playing it two years later and have bought extensions and the two person card game. We did change one rule, mostly because we wanted the games to last about 1 hour. We took out the robber. My kids get along so well with this game. Sometimes they win something I win. It's not like Risk where there is fighting and hard feelings. This game promotes cooperation and planning.
on June 2, 2012
A friend of mine had this game, and recommended it to me. I was a bit skeptical because I could not see the "conflict" in the game, which tends to add to a games excitement. My 14 year old daughter set the game up quickly but struggled with the rules. They are a bit complex, but once you actually play through the situations, it actually makes a lot of sense. The rules end with a glossary of rules, which we found very helpful. The game play is fast, entertaining, and friendly. While not a cooperative play game, sometimes it felt that way when you trade resources. It's actually quite surprising how friendly the game is, compared to say, Monopoly where you win by decimating the opponent and putting them into bankruptcy. Not so with this game, everyone is doing well at some point or another, and the winner is the one who does the best, not eliminates the opponents. Nice. We play this quite often and it a great game for middle schoolers and high schoolers. It holds their attention quite well, gets them talking to each other and thinking about trades that are both good for them, and good for their opponents and its really fun. I love this game!
on February 13, 2014
Some assembly required! I love this game- our son introduced it to us, and now are so hooked that when we can't get 3 players, we play on our ipad against the computer!
When he showed up his game wouldn't lie flat, b/c the pieces were just punched out. When we got ours, I noticed some discrepancies in the die cuts, so I took it down to my shop and carefully cut the hexes and surrounds with an exacto knife on a piece of HDPE plastic (aka self-healing cutting pad as found in some sewing centers). My game goes together snug, but doesn't pop up like my son's does. Mostly you have to hit the little tabs that hold the pieces in the main sheet of cardboard- those are what fight with each other- don't try to recut the edges, hit the corners and tabs, hold the knife firmly and be careful. I used a #11 blade on a #1 handle (typical setup on that knife) . Utility knife blades are too thick, and razors are too thin. I repair instruments which would help explain my eccentric a/r nature.
on July 7, 2015
I couldn't express how much I love this game. I just wish I had more people to play it with!

Being bored one day I searched the "internet" for fun board games. I can across this as a comparison to Risk. In my opinion, this could not be farther away from Risk. In Risk you are using strategy to build defenses and attack. In Catan you are playing your own game, which happens to have others playing on the same island. There is no attacking or anything, just resource collecting and planning out your moves to gain more victory points. Our most recent game I thought I was doomed from the start, but managed to build and upgrade enough settlements to cities to have a chance. Then I bought development cards and beat everyone! It doesn't take too long, moments can get heated, and the end of the game seems like a race to finish once people hit around 8 points!

I totally recommend this to anyone looking for a fun game with friends/family. It is quick to pick up on and I am looking forward to buy the expansions!
on January 10, 2015
Many reviews have already dug into the specifics of the game, so I won't repeat them.

This is a fun game for players of all ages. Adults will play with much more strategy, of course. There are different options for strategy: go for longest road, go for biggest army, go for development cards, go for cities, etc. You also have to think about what resources you want to build next to, knowing that which resources you need will change throughout the game.

This is most fun with 4 players, as it makes it the most challenging. Of course, it then can become easy to be cut off from parts of the map, or unable to expand. Technically you can play this game with 2 people, but it's a bit too easy and thus not very exciting. There is a 5-6 player expansion, which makes the board larger.

There are of course many expansions to this game. Seafarers is a blast and is an easy transition, as it makes only minor changes to the game, but really changes the strategies you can use.

Highly recommend this game, especially for people who are not big into board games. (This is often considered the #1 "gateway" game.)
on December 12, 2014
What a game! We are grandparents and look for games to play with our grandchildren. As long as we set it up, rules are easy enough for our 7 year old to play.
If you order this game and I would recommend it. I strongly recommend buying the plastic board to place the game on. It makes it more fun and much faster to set up. At dinner time we just pick up the board and move it. Sometimes when we have 5 or more players wanting to play we pull out the expansion set sold separately and the expansion plastic board sold separately and all of us join in. It becomes family fun fast.
on July 3, 2015
Extraordinary board game. Bought it for my 10 year old son . Rules are extremely simple - we learned the game in 5 minutes. Once you start playing you realize how deep the gameplay is, how much you need to think and how much the whole experience reflects real world trading and political relationship decisions. Very intriguing. My 10 year old was able to grasp it immediately and our games are very close. My 6 year old plays with us sometimes as well and she is able to hold her own against other players.OverallI this game is a superb testament to the brilliantly simple execution of a complex subject.
on July 24, 2014
I got this for my son, because he loves strategy board games, and he dislikes games that are pure luck (Monopoly, Sorry, etc...).

Catan also has an element of luck, but there is a lot of strategy as well. Here is my opinion:

Pro:
1. Kids can learn the strategies, and enjoy the game.
2. Lots of opportunity for future expansion.
3. Apparently there is a community that plays the game online.

Con:
1. There are many dozens of pieces, and it takes a while to set the game up.
2. If you have an active six-year-old, you will eventually lose a few pieces.
3. On the basic board, the player who rolls first has a huge advantage.
4. If you have to put the game aside (for dinner, or whatever), it can be very hard to move.

Although the company includes a suggested layout for beginners, there is still a huge advantage to which-ever player stakes out their territory first. Although there are some alternate strategies for different layouts, the strategies don't work very well for the default board. We usually play with just three players, and the players who rolls first wins about 80% to 90% of the time.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.