Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 1,899 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,251 reviews
on December 15, 2015
I have lost many a Sunday afternoon to Settlers. Do you know why I purchased Settlers? Because each of my friends has purchased our own set... we do not want to find ourselves at each others house and wanting to play but not have a board to set up. We have taken turns hosting and every time it has been fun.

It is a game of strategy, in my opinion a slightly more complicated/sophisticated version of Monopoly (although my friends vehemently disagree). Instead of building houses and hotels you build towns and cities, instead of collecting rent, you collect resources, and instead of chance cards you have victory cards... but somehow it seems more fun. There is an element of Chess- because you do have to build roads to tie your cities together, and to do that you have to have foresight and plan ahead.

This is a game of champions- and voted best Table Game by folks who vote on those things- be warned that once you start playing it may become addictive. Be prepared to be suckered into the sport for years to come.

I am reviewing this product in an effort to help other Amazon customers through relaying my experience with the product and providing any insight I garnered. Had I not liked this product, I would state so here in my review. I would really appreciate that if you found my review helpful, that you would please indicate so below by clicking the YES button below.
on July 21, 2015
Love this game:

Basically you place settlements to try and bet on which resources will be rolled, and then take those resources to buy different things to try and collect victory points.

Strategy: 3/5
There is a fair amount of strategy in placing your settlements and deciding what to buy with your resources, but it's not TOO complicated, and a solid strategy will not always defeat a less optimal one.

Luck: 2/5
With any dice rolling game, there is a decent amount of luck, but overall, most of the time you can combat the luck with trading and/or settlement placement. There is also some luck when drawing development cards. (sort of like chance cards in monopoly)

Balance: 4/5
I would say this game is pretty balanced and allows for some catching up (due to the trading that is required).

Aesthetics: 3.5/5
I would say the game pieces and cards are nice, but not the best. Overall, I don't they really add to or detract from the game.

Replayability: 5/5
If you like the game once, you will probably like it again and again because the board changes every time you play. Also, different people employ different strategies, so when you have new people, it can change the game entirely

Overall: 4.5/5
A great game for 3-4 people, be sure to pick up the expansion if you want to play 5-6. Also, please be aware that this could be a long game if people take long making decisions or enjoy trading.
on January 3, 2014
Our son is home from college and teaching us the game for a family time. I must say, takes a couple games to learn, about 5 games to really get in the swing of things, and then the fun really begins. An easy concept with strategy, tactics, and the luck of the roll of the die. We have had a blast playing this game for 3-4 people where you are the first to build settlements, cities, and gain resources to gather the 10 points to win. Yes it is online, but this is fun face to face.
on March 23, 2015
Not really deadly but it sounded good. My son got this from Santa for Christmas. Awesome game!!! The only issue we have with it is The Queen of Catan...aka Mom. His Mom kicks our ass at this game every time she plays it. We tried sabotage once...just to see if someone else could win..karma came back and she still won!!
Seriously a great game but don't play with ruthless Mom's who rule Catan with an iron fist!! If it didn't require 3 players we would play without the Queen of Catan, but she is needed to make the 3rd player and there for we are doomed to play this game for eternity never knowing what its like to win it. I highly recommend this game for any family. Its fun and doesn't usually last more than an hour or so. Just don't play it with the Queen of Catan...
on April 25, 2015
The game is great. Simple and easy to learn; I taught it to my 6-yr-old today. It's a staple with my adult friends too. Rating the game itself I would give it 4 stars...

...that said, the production quality on the game was terrible! The printing was misaligned, so every piece is printed off center by ~0.5 cm, just enough to be really annoying. The pieces themselves were not perforated well from the packaging frames, so several of the pieces' backs ripped when separating them out after opening. And when the board pieces were finally put together to play a game, they didn't fit well together. It's ultimately functional, but looks very poor and probably won't last as long. Even many of the pieces look like they were barely painted; bare wood is showing through the single, faded coat of paint. It is incredibly disappointing for a game with this reputation and for the price I paid for it. I know previous versions of the game have been made much better.

Four stars for game design and play; one star for production quality.
on September 28, 2015
Fun, nerdy game. Similar to monopoly but quicker and more fun. Easy to learn. Collect necessary resources to build your property and beat the competition before they beat you.
on March 19, 2014
I have five boys ranging from 11-23 and they all love this game. It's always a different game because the tiles are changed with each new game. It was hard for me to figure out the rules but there is a website that will show you how to play, or better yet, play with someone who has played before. Get those kids away from the video games and into some family and friend based fun!
on March 24, 2017
hours of fun
on August 24, 2014
I previously had this game, but this edition is a lower quality and doesn't mesh well with the expansion pack like the older one used to. Otherwise a great, fun game
on August 19, 2015
love this game

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.