Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,908 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,262 reviews
on December 15, 2015
I have lost many a Sunday afternoon to Settlers. Do you know why I purchased Settlers? Because each of my friends has purchased our own set... we do not want to find ourselves at each others house and wanting to play but not have a board to set up. We have taken turns hosting and every time it has been fun.

It is a game of strategy, in my opinion a slightly more complicated/sophisticated version of Monopoly (although my friends vehemently disagree). Instead of building houses and hotels you build towns and cities, instead of collecting rent, you collect resources, and instead of chance cards you have victory cards... but somehow it seems more fun. There is an element of Chess- because you do have to build roads to tie your cities together, and to do that you have to have foresight and plan ahead.

This is a game of champions- and voted best Table Game by folks who vote on those things- be warned that once you start playing it may become addictive. Be prepared to be suckered into the sport for years to come.

I am reviewing this product in an effort to help other Amazon customers through relaying my experience with the product and providing any insight I garnered. Had I not liked this product, I would state so here in my review. I would really appreciate that if you found my review helpful, that you would please indicate so below by clicking the YES button below.
on February 13, 2014
Some assembly required! I love this game- our son introduced it to us, and now are so hooked that when we can't get 3 players, we play on our ipad against the computer!
When he showed up his game wouldn't lie flat, b/c the pieces were just punched out. When we got ours, I noticed some discrepancies in the die cuts, so I took it down to my shop and carefully cut the hexes and surrounds with an exacto knife on a piece of HDPE plastic (aka self-healing cutting pad as found in some sewing centers). My game goes together snug, but doesn't pop up like my son's does. Mostly you have to hit the little tabs that hold the pieces in the main sheet of cardboard- those are what fight with each other- don't try to recut the edges, hit the corners and tabs, hold the knife firmly and be careful. I used a #11 blade on a #1 handle (typical setup on that knife) . Utility knife blades are too thick, and razors are too thin. I repair instruments which would help explain my eccentric a/r nature.
on July 7, 2015
I couldn't express how much I love this game. I just wish I had more people to play it with!

Being bored one day I searched the "internet" for fun board games. I can across this as a comparison to Risk. In my opinion, this could not be farther away from Risk. In Risk you are using strategy to build defenses and attack. In Catan you are playing your own game, which happens to have others playing on the same island. There is no attacking or anything, just resource collecting and planning out your moves to gain more victory points. Our most recent game I thought I was doomed from the start, but managed to build and upgrade enough settlements to cities to have a chance. Then I bought development cards and beat everyone! It doesn't take too long, moments can get heated, and the end of the game seems like a race to finish once people hit around 8 points!

I totally recommend this to anyone looking for a fun game with friends/family. It is quick to pick up on and I am looking forward to buy the expansions!
on January 10, 2015
Many reviews have already dug into the specifics of the game, so I won't repeat them.

This is a fun game for players of all ages. Adults will play with much more strategy, of course. There are different options for strategy: go for longest road, go for biggest army, go for development cards, go for cities, etc. You also have to think about what resources you want to build next to, knowing that which resources you need will change throughout the game.

This is most fun with 4 players, as it makes it the most challenging. Of course, it then can become easy to be cut off from parts of the map, or unable to expand. Technically you can play this game with 2 people, but it's a bit too easy and thus not very exciting. There is a 5-6 player expansion, which makes the board larger.

There are of course many expansions to this game. Seafarers is a blast and is an easy transition, as it makes only minor changes to the game, but really changes the strategies you can use.

Highly recommend this game, especially for people who are not big into board games. (This is often considered the #1 "gateway" game.)
on December 12, 2014
What a game! We are grandparents and look for games to play with our grandchildren. As long as we set it up, rules are easy enough for our 7 year old to play.
If you order this game and I would recommend it. I strongly recommend buying the plastic board to place the game on. It makes it more fun and much faster to set up. At dinner time we just pick up the board and move it. Sometimes when we have 5 or more players wanting to play we pull out the expansion set sold separately and the expansion plastic board sold separately and all of us join in. It becomes family fun fast.
on January 15, 2015
I had never heard of this game before my daughter requested it for Christmas. However, after having played it, I was a convert. Like a good muppet movie, this game could be played by a young person in a simple way or enjoyed by adults at a more sophisticated level. The concept of the game is simple but with a fun group you can liven up the game considerably by bartering, bargaining, forming alliances and creating a strategy to win. Unlike games such as Monopoly, the board is cleverly designed and action cards just random enough so that every game is different.
The road and house game pieces are very, very small, so they should be kept well away from: small children, pets, the vacuum cleaner and slits between boards on the picnic table. The board pieces and cards and quite sturdy and plastic-y enough to play in the damp without damage. The box is also quite sturdy, which is nice if you stack your board games like we do.
It's not the cheapest game, but well worth the price.

It should be noted that you need at least 3 but no more than 4 people to play. If you want to play with a few more players, expansion packs are available separately.
on January 10, 2014
My family loves the PC game "Age of Empires" and we were told this game was somewhat like it. It sure was! Addicting! My 13 year old son was given it for Christmas, and we played it four times in the first 24 hours. You need 3 or 4 players for this game, and my eight year old son was able to join in just fine. It can take several hours to complete. Although it may seem complicated at first, just read through the instruction booklet and stick with it...it is straightforward once you get the hand of it, very worth it and VERY fun!
on July 5, 2015
Great expansion to the original set. The designs on the pieces match the original set and the instructions were pretty clear as to how to adapt to the original set. My only gripe is that it's a pain to separate the cards (expansion from non-expansion cards) every time we finish playing with 5-6 people. I'm not a huge fan of board games but I LOVE this game. Would recommend to all my friends.
on May 9, 2013
Awesome strategy game that's fun for hardcore strategy nerds and and regular board game players alike. The setup and rules look really intimidating to start out with, but the gameplay really boils down to three rules: Roll, trade, buy. A player rolls the dice to see what resources will be distributed, trades resources with other players (or through special rules with the "bank) if desired, and then buys anything he or she wants and can afford. Victory points are given based on items bought, and the first to 10 points wins! The game even comes with a handy cheat-sheet for every player to know what each item costs and how many victory points it's worth. The simple rules make it easy for just about anyone to break into playing.

Despite the simple rules, a great deal of strategy goes into deciding where you want to place your settlements and cities (that determines which resources you get) and how you want to expand around the map. The map can be shuffled and recreated randomly for each game, making it infinitely playable with different results every time. There is an element of chance in which resources are distributed when, but most of that can be handled with a little foresight and planning.

After a single game, Settlers of Catan became a favorite of our gaming group and we play it pretty regularly.
on December 29, 2015
One of the best board games out there. Very repayable as the game board changes each time you play. This is my wife and I's favorite game, and is always the first game we play when friends visit. The game involves strategy, but there is a lot of luck involved as well. I'd say 50% strategy and 50% luck. Sometimes your numbers are just not rolled!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.