Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 72 reviews
on July 31, 2010
First off.. Ignore the "Explicit" label. i think it just got miss labeled somehow and amazon really needs to fix it...
As this is a perfectly clean album. No explicit lyrics, phrases, innuendo's or anything. Owl City is known to make an appearance on some Christian Radio for that matter...

All the songs are solid. The production quality matches that of Ocean Eyes.

Electronic melodies are used throughout the entire album of course. Never over used. Perfectly timed drum and base, piano work, acoustic guitar make appearances on most of the songs.
But the real jewel of the album is the composition of all the music, the crystal clear high quality vocals to brilliant lyrics.

There is just no real flaw you can ever find on this album. Most (if not all) my complaints are that some of the songs are so good you wish they were longer.

I guess whats needed to know is.. If you like Ocean Eyes... You -WILL- like Maybe I'm Dreaming.
on May 4, 2010
There is something about writing music for the sake of writing music that produces art. In many ways Maybe I'm Dreaming is a better album than the more popular Ocean Eyes as it was written prior to his record contract and international fame. Adam Young takes more risks in finding his sound here which gives this album much more breadth.

I'm not sure what exactly makes this album EXPLICIT as the lyrics while intricate move into sappy throughout much of the album. In fact "dreaming" is the perfect metaphor for this album! What I really love is that Adam seems to be using Reason (software by propellerheads.se) to craft much of the sonic architecture within.
on January 30, 2014
Adam Young is one of the most talented song writers, composers and singers in the world! His music is utterly unique, a bit quirky, but beautiful, refreshing and a dreamy listen. There is no one else like him. This kid started out in his parents basement on a laptop computer. He then put his music on Myspace and let it go and it caught on. He is a multi-instrumentalist (playing piano/keyboards, the drums, percussion, lead guitar -electric and acoustic, vibraphones, etc. etc. Also, along with all this he records his albums himself, mixes, (and now I think even does some mastering) and then hands it over to his label to be distributed. His remixes of other band's songs usually sound even better than their originals.He is a self taught musician which is amazing and he also taught himself to use complex, music composing programmes on the computer and has taught himself to use a lot of the gear that go along with recording albums. Labels started noticing how much interest there was in him online and then came a knocking! This album is one of my most favorites! It has a dreamy quality to it, a bit wistful, breathy, and wonderful...you won't want to skip any songs, and you may never stop listening to his music. Give this a chance...you'll be glad you did!
on June 29, 2013
Owl City has always been my favorite singer. Ever since I was 10-ish and heard Fireflies for the first time, I was hooked. I pretty much lived for the lucky times every 3 or so months when Fireflies would come on the radio. About the time I was 13, someone finally told me the singer's name was Owl City, so I looked online and found that Fireflies was on an album called Ocean Eyes. I couldn't find it at any stores in real life, and at the time my parents were still wary of online shopping. For my 14th birthday, I told anyone who would listen that all I really wanted was the Ocean Eyes cd. Thankfully, someone found it in their college-aged kid's old stuff and gave it to me. When I first heard the song Cave In and it mention mushroom clouds, I basically flipped out and put the cd in storage for a few months, then got it back out later to put on my mp3 player. I put it on shuffle and the first song to come on was Meteor Shower, and as soon as I realized the song's Christian message, I fell back in love and had all the songs memorized within a week. I kinda grew out of it though, until I heard Good Time on the Carly Rae Jepsen cd I bought a few months ago, which persuaded me to buy Owl City's first album, Of June, and then The Midsummer Station and Maybe I'm Dreaming the next month.

At first I was unsure if I would like this album, as it had "Veins" in one of the song titles and I scare easily. (Sorry, but it's the truth.) But I LOVE the whole thing, and Rainbow Veins is pretty much my fave song on here. I would recommend it to anyone, whether a faithful Hoot Owl or a newcomer.

And oh yes, I am not Larry, that's my dad. haha
on June 16, 2017
I had heard of the artist and knew nothing of the music so I have been buying the albums and enjoying them all ever since. Interesting style.
on October 14, 2011
The first Owl City album I had was Ocean Eyes (yes, sadly, I'm one of the late-comers). After that, I listened to some All Things Bright and Beautiful before buying Maybe I'm Dreaming. So, at first I was a bit thrown and disappointed. However, it didn't take long before I started to love this older work as much as the others. This is probably the lightest and softest of all Owl City's work, and it is filled with songs that I would use as lullabies and therapy. My personal favorite is "Rainbow Veins," which I consider to be one of the happiest and most fun songs in the world. "On the Wing" and "The Saltwater Room" are excellent as well, but I prefer to some extent the Ocean Eyes versions of those songs. Most of the other songs are not particularly noteworthy, but still excellent Owl City. The only songs I wasn't really impressed with were "Air Traffic" (though Breanne Duren helps compensate), "Sky Diver" (which is good, but a bit strange), and "West Coast Friendship" (which is still a pretty good song). "This is the Future" is probably one of the most serious songs on the album, and I think it comes across very well. Over all, buy it. If you're an Owl City fan, you desperately need it, and if you're not, you still may find it pretty awesome.
on January 3, 2014
I gave this four stars because I was pleased with how quickly it arrived! It came a day early with a couple other CD's I had ordered. It was in beautiful condition; wrapped in cellophane. The only reason this doesn't have five stars is because of the actual musical content. I love Adam Young and almost all of his music, but this album, his voice was just a little too much "robot like" for me. I still do like this album, but it isn't one of my favorites. I loved Ocean Eyes and Maybe I'm Dreaming has a much different sound. I still am very pleased with the delivery and I recommend Maybe Im Dreaming to people who didn't thoroughly love Ocean Eyes. Maybe I'm Dreaming might be more your style.
on February 28, 2012
I can't praise Owl City's work enough. Adam Young, the sole member of this 'group' is nothing short of an electronic wunderkind. I admit, Fireflies was the first song I heard from Owl City. I then progressed my way backward through Adam's music. I must say that even now, after All Things Bright and Beautiful, Maybe I'm Dreaming is probably my favorite album. I can't put my finger on why, it just clicks with me for some reason. The songs, though they may seem extremely happy, really aren't. You can tell Adam was depressed or at least sad when he wrote them. I really like how he takes the negative things and puts a hopeful spin on them. The sounds are calming. Don't hesitate to buy this album; it's beautiful and pensive.
It's also extremely kid friendly!
Fun, melodic songs that entertain.
on July 15, 2015
this album encapsulates my teenage years. "The Saltwater Room" is one of the best songs on this planet, or in the entire universe for that matter. Ugh so many beautiful songs on this album of his! My top favourites are Rainbow Veins, The Saltwater Room, Early Birdie, The Technicolor Phase, Sky Diver, Dear Vienna, & West Coast Friendship. God bless Adam Young. I love him.