Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maybe (Maybe Not)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on December 5, 2004
I really liked Fulghum's casual, laid-back style of writing. "Maybe (Maybe Not)" was a very easy, fun, quick read. He's very optimistic and upbeat and tries to convey his outlook on life to his audience. He's got a lot of great thoughts from totally different areas of life. He only spends a couple of pages on one topic and moves on to something completely different. He's got a really good sense of humor and unlike most self-help type of books, he's not preachy in the least bit. Really enjoyable and highly recommended!
on December 26, 2011
I've made no secret that I'm a fan of Robert Fulghum's writing style. He was a 'blogger' before blogging got big, in that he tells snippets of his life in short essay story-form, much like many bloggers do now, only he does it in such a compelling way, his is worthy of print publication. I have aspired in my life to write like him when I write personal essays--not so much to write LIKE him, per se, but rather, to write in a manner that makes people think, that reaches deeper than the surface of what the writing appears to be about. That's the thing that gets me about his writing: It's short and poignant, and those who don't want to seek deeper meaning can enjoy it, but at the same time, those who take the time to read deeper can get more out of it. It reaches all sorts of people on different levels. That's talent. I love his voice.

In this book, Maybe (Maybe Not), we get to laugh at some antics from his time on the church board and while working in a high school. The high school stories are some of my favorite. I loved the story about the Ape and the Naked Lady! I laughed through the whole thing. I loved so many of these stories in this book that while we were traveling in the car, I had to read them to my family out loud, and they were so engrossed in them that they wanted me to continue reading them when we arrived home.

The final story brought a tear to my eye while I was reading. I won't talk about it here as to not spoil it, but that story alone is worth reading.

Another thing I love about reading Mr. Fulghum is the fact he's a minister (or at least was, or maybe still is?)--but he's also 'real'. He's made some comments that make me laugh, such as one line in this book where he's talking about a bible story and says something along the lines of: The Lord doesn't come off looking too good in this one... Because sometimes I have thought that about bible stories too! It's nice to know a minister can feel that way just as much as a 'normal' person can!

There's also a great fishing tale that I giggled all the way through!

With these small essays, humorous anecdotes, poignant stories, and Mr. Fulghum's wit and insight, this book is worth picking up and reading. Because of the short essay style, it makes it an easy read in between waiting for doctor appointments, bathroom breaks, or any time you have a few minutes to take a break to read a short when you can't spend the time to read an entire book. If you haven't read Fulghum, it's time to pick one up and get started! His writing will leave you thinking!
on May 8, 2015
I adore Robert Fulghum. His writing style is so simple and enjoyable. I have his books by my bedside and in my Kindle. I can read his short stories over and over and each time something new pops up for me. I repeat his stories to friends. He is one of my favorite contemporary authors.I strongly recommend his books.
on June 9, 2007
Robert Fulghum is the master of telling complex stories in a simple, down-home manner. As such, I think I'd be paying him tribute most effectively if I kept this review simple. Suffice to say, if you've read and enjoyed other books by Mr. Fulghum, you'll definitely enjoy this one. By all means, read it. Read it more than once! You won't regret it!
HALL OF FAMEon October 1, 2013
The title essay of this work' Maybe' which pays tribute to the fundamental Uncertainty of life sets the tone for these enjoyable small personal essays. Fulghum is a thinking person and likes to think a lot about his everyday life, and in many of these essays about the secret things of everyday life. But he also shows a deep appreciation of other people, and this is one of the finest elements of this book. Whether he is speaking about the young black woman who helped his parents in their household and educated him in another way of thinking about life, or about those he has met in his various travels he has an openness and generosity to other people. In considering subjects like Envy and his own attempted suicide he reveals his own vulnerabilities and seems thereby to be honestly confessing to the reader. While I suspect he hasn't laid it all on the line he has here presented the reader with a picture of himself in his world most often amusing and interesting.
on November 21, 2014
I was torn between three and four stars here. It definitely is a must read if you read the first two books Fulghum wrote. That being said, the stories and lessons are lacking the punch the first two books had. I find that the essays are more "reaching" and not so definitive as to them being complete thoughts. Even so, the idea of our secret lives is brilliant, and thought provoking. His stories about his son are warm and honest, and his ability to relate to the simple things makes him a wonderful read.
on March 24, 2008
A nice light read. I didn't always agree with his thoughts, but I usually did. Books like this always make me want to write my own book. I read it and think, "Hey - maybe someone would want to read my opinions and observations too!" Clean, and family friendly.
on December 25, 1997
This is one of the best books I have read in the last months! Many daily situations that you have with yourself are present. May be or may be not you will love it, but I am sure you will ever remeber many funny situations in your real life. Try it. It is cheap, easy for reading, good for our spiritual side...
on March 6, 2014
From major life events to the seemingly mundane occurrences, Mr Fulghum finds meaning. Although he recounts some tragic moments, his voices remains optimistic and somehow wisely soothing. His work will make you smile, and laugh and maybe, maybe not ponder your own reason to be an active participant in the game of life.
on January 30, 2013
I have so enjoyed this book and would recommend it and anything this author has written. I love all of his books I have read so far, it makes you not want to put it down and then you can't wait to get to the next book. It's a great gift for others..........or yourself