Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
The Maybelline Story: And the Spirited Family Dynasty Behind It Paperback – Large Print, September 24, 2010
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Spellbinding! A richly told story of a white-hot love triangle that fanned the flames of a worldwide conglomerate. -- --Neil Shulman, writer/ producer, Doc --Hollywood
We loved this! --Holly Siegel, beauty editor, NYLON Magazine
A Truly inspirational story. I loved it! --Brigitte Lamblot, Publisher, VIE Magazine
- Love and tenderness are palpable in this sensitive recount of this amazing historical memoir. This is NOT a one time read. A literary prism, relevant to the board- room as it is to a book club or fireside/poolside read. Truly an inspirational legacy reminding us in the words of Proust that: 'the voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes, but in having new eyes.'—Diane Bruno, CISION MEDIA
- A richly told story of a forty-year, white-hot love triangle that fans the flames of a major worldwide conglomerate.—Neil Shulman, associate producer, Doc Hollywood
- We loved this!—Holly Siegel, beauty editor, NYLON Magazine
- This book has value beyond its capacity to glimpse history and even beyond its sheer joy to entertain. —Kolie Crutcher III, CEO and publisher, GET MONEY magazine
- An engrossing and captivating tale that spans four generations and reveals the humanity glamour, and seedy underside of a family intoxicated by the quest for wealth, power, and perfection. This book is classic literary satisfaction, a real page-turner. —Nina Siezmasko, actress, The West Wing
- We are especially fascinated to slip vicariously into the lives of the rich and privileged yet cheer for the underdog who overcomes obstacles to astound doubters with his success. We are enthralled with the historical sweep of events whose repercussions live on to the present, all elements of this amazing story—which reads like a juicy novel but is a family memoir distilled from nine hundred pages of family accounts from the 1920's to present. —Steven Hudis, producer, IMPACT Motion Pictures
- A Truly inspirational story. I loved it! —Brigitte Lamblot, Publisher, VIE Magazine
- Superb! An exciting tale that gives an insider's view into the genesis of a corporate giant. A wild ride, an enticing saga. —Alan Andrews Ragland, son of Maybelline legend 'Rags' Ragland
- Tom Lyle, my great-uncle—and the godfather of our family—made us all rich, in more ways than one! But it is hard for us to separate Maybelline from our family, because it was a family affair, literally. This is a story I lived and a family I love.—William Preston Williams III
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Top customer reviews
When Tom Lyle Williams discovered his sister's simple eye beauty secret, both inspiration and a corporate giant were born. He knew that his determined creativity, advertising genius, a few friends and a little luck would propel them all to success and riches.
This tale reads like the best fiction but with real characters and plots that take us on an American dream wild ride. From the Midwest through Chicago and Hollywood, we follow a path strewn with scandals, jealousies, triangles and betrayals. Throw in arson, a still-unsolved murder and even the Feds and Mafia and you have an exciting and bumpy journey that leaves more than one casualty in its wake. And Maybelline was along for the ride.
The characters seem larger-than-life yet somehow remain vulnerable and sympathetic This is a family that continually grasped at the shiny ring only to discover that it might be no more than their own reflections staring back, sometimes accusingly, in the mirror.
The legacy is in good hands with Ms. Williams. She's a true storyteller and writes with passion and candor while bluntly sharing her own resolve to rise above her family's lifelong mantra of money, beauty and the search for perfection. It's a critical but tender tale of redemption that displays an understanding, compassion and love for her family. She never gave up on her dream to tell this story and literally braved fire and fury to share it with the world. It's a book that you really can't put down, a true page-turner and I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.
You'll never look at a Maybelline ad again without feeling a tug of empathy for these characters and the struggles and determination of one man's effort to capture beauty on a brush and change forever the color palette of the world.
Mabel’s simple beauty inspired her brother. He named the company Maybelline in her honor and went on to become a billion-dollar business. Tom Lyle Williams has lived a secret life until now. While he was building the business, he kept undercover and to himself. He didn’t want anything to destroy his business that he worked so very hard for.
This is a fascinating book that covers four generations and shows wealth, glamour and a family bonded together by a business. The tale includes ambition, luck, greed and secrecy but also love and forgiveness.
I enjoyed the vintage photos of the Maybelline family along with the vintage advertising. I have a love for photography, it was nice to see the vintage photos in their natural state. I liked seeing the family grow from then to now. Again, don’t miss those vintage ads, they are spectacular!
Sharrie Williams is a great author and I cannot wait for her next book to come out. She has a new literary agent, the famed Italia Gandolfo, so I’m looking forward to her next book announced on her new website. This book is mandatory reading for anyone who loves cosmetics, a good story, and Maybelline! Michele the Trainer www.michelethetrainer.com and please visit my author page on Amazon.com too!
The deeper Tom Lyle went into hiding, the more his sister-in-law and ultra-ego Evelyn struggled her way to the spotlight. Attracted to bad boys, she married one--Tom Lyle's playboy brother Preston. From that moment on, Evelyn used the Maybelline name--and later, its money--to reinvent herself from circus ballerina to flamboyant flapper, extravagant socialite to dinner theater star.
Now, after nearly a century of silence, this true story celebrates the lives of a forgotten American hero--one man forced to remain behind a mask, and one woman whose hunger for beauty ultimately destroyed her. Spanning three generations, Maybelline Queens shows the hidden haunts of sudden fortune, and the tragedy that ensues when vanity lets loose. Finally, it speaks to womens' decade-long desires--to be beautiful and be loved--and asks the question: At what price, beauty?
I've already given a copy to my mom, and plan to give them out as Christmas gifts to all the women in my life!! The story is one that sticks with you.
Most recent customer reviews