Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 943 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,151 reviews
on July 10, 2015
Seriously - this is the only pregnancy book you need. I received a few others as gifts, and I never liked the tone, style, or presentation in the other books. Whether it's the "hey, girlfriend - let's talk about being prego over a cup of decaf Starbucks and shoe-shopping!" (yuck) or a condescending/patronizing tone as though I'm a knocked-up idiot, I found myself quickly donating all other books except for this one. The Mayo Clinic Guide is to-the-point but friendly enough with excellent pictures and descriptions of each stage, and the doctors' tone doesn't question your intelligence or know-how. I appreciate that the source material is valid as this is a peer-reviewed effort including many doctors in the field listed as contributors (I'm a PhD/professor who teaches source evaluation, so yeah - it's important to me), and I like the logical organization of the chapters. There's isn't too much information stuffed onto one page, and the layout makes it easy to skim to the parts you're most interested in at the time of reading. I also greatly appreciate that the book doesn't get preachy, doesn't sway from trying to remain objective, offers different birthing options without judgment, and includes helpful charts and lists along the way. I found everything spot-on (I'm now entering my 7th month of pregnancy), and it helped me to know what to expect with each ob appointment, what questions I should ask, and when to start planning for things such as interviewing pediatricians, filling out hospital forms, etc (each of these are included as reminders for each month of pregnancy, so it's not like you're bombarded by information up front that you'll have to remember throughout all 9 and 1/2 months of pregnancy). I have found it most useful to skim through the book in its entirety upon first perusal, and then follow along as each month progresses.

My only suggestion is that for those of us who like to check references or refer to them ourselves, it would have been helpful to have a bibliographic list of sources used in the book. For example: ob doctors often frighten women away from all forms of vitamin A because of one study that was done in the 1990s, but vitamin A as beta carotene hasn't been shown to cause birth defects like vitamin A in the form of retinol has, which is stored in fat cells, and vitamin A as beta carotene is necessary for fetal eye development (this is based on newer data I've found through my research). I had to argue with my ob about this when I told her I wouldn't take prescription prenatals and preferred my own vitamin mix - well, it was for many reasons, including the synthetic junk and dyes in most prescription prenatals (boy, I've got some stories about pharmaceutical reps pushing those things and their reasons why they include dyes in them that have been linked to birth defects, one of which included an old man making the statement that "pregnant women don't want to take ugly brown pills; they want to take pretty blue ones!" I kid you not. Apparently we women are that dumb and shallow, according to pharmaceutical reps), but a scholarly article would have been nice to give to her in my defense of taking a holistic vitamin cocktail that included vitamin A as beta carotene, a vitamin that is flushed from the system once the body has taken what it needs. I do realize that many readers wouldn't care about this kind of information, but it wouldn't hurt to include a "works cited" or "bibliography" page at the end with helpful, legitimate scholarly articles and information about various studies, and maybe some parenthetical citations throughout that could lead us active readers to the biblio reference. More work? Sure, the editors would have a good bit more work to do gathering this information, but it would make this book absolute perfection!

Anyway, I do highly recommend this book for those of you who want medical advice from medical professionals, delivered in an approachable yet no-nonsense way that keeps you happy and motivated without the saccharine pandering often found in pregnancy guides.
on August 6, 2014
I bought both Mayo Clinic Guide & What To Expect on Amazon. I've read both books cover to cover and have found this book BY FAR to be the better of the two. It was incredibly informing, especially for a first time mother like myself. This book broke it down month by month, week by week and discussed EVERYTHING a pregnant woman may have questions about and then some! What I LOVED about this book? EVERYTHING!!! It discussed my physical, emotional & mental changes each week & month. It also provided a list of issues one may incur or have questions about when it's serious to when it can wait until your next appointment. That came in incredibly handy for me as I was clueless about what was going on in my body and if it was normal or something I should worry about. It also discussed controversial topics such as caffeine, coloring your hair and diet restrictions. It provides info for that 4th trimester/postpartum period, how to breastfeed, infant care, and swaddling, as well as exercises and stretches you can do during labor. This has been one of the most important books I've ever read/purchased. I continuously refer to this book and have since given away the What To Expect When You're Expecting. This is the ONLY book you will need. I plan to purchase the Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year.
on July 8, 2016
I received this book yesterday and already am in love with it. Pregnancy can be so confusing. What do I eat? am I allowed to exercise? How much weight is too much weight to gain? What should I be expecting???

I love that this book is written by medical professionals who are parents and have been practicing in the field for many years. It makes the information feel that much more relative. And no pregnancy is the same, most books you read make all pregnancies seem so cookie cutter, and they're not. And it doesn't matter how many times you've been through this you're never truly an expert. I have already learned so much, and feel so much more prepared for this journey. I am excited to have a baby and to go through this pregnancy being the best mom I can possibly be.

The book is easy to read and easy to understand. It gives great advice without seeming forceful and gives you pros and cons of many of the decisions we battle everyday. The reference many studies and provide unbiased information so you can make your own decision when it comes to how you are going to treat this pregnancy and what is right for you and your baby.

I definitely recommend this book.
on January 8, 2016
As a pregnant person, you will immediately be swept away in a sea of panic-inducing "helpful" concerns and recommendations. There are tons of books out there for expectant parents (mostly aimed towards the carrying parent/moms) that I found to be condescending, alarmist, and not written by medical professionals. Bias abounded!

This book, along with Expecting Better by Emily Oster, really helped ground me throughout my pregnancy to make informed decisions based on medical evidence. The Mayo Clinic book did not feel as though it had a particular agenda (breastfeed or else! no epidural! every cramp you feel means certain doom!) and laid out possible symptoms by trimester in black and white without cutesy speak. Yes, you will drool or become massively constipated... BUT HERE'S WHY. And here's what it means and when to worry and what to do to help yourself. I really appreciated knowing the whys and when it will be overs. :) I also appreciated that it wasn't narrated TO "mom" -- but was just-the-facts about the physical and mental changes that pregnancy can bring, and what was going on with the developing baby so that anyone could read it and feel informed. There are also chapters on newborn care and feeding, though brief.

Expecting Better goes more in depth into the actual statistics behind some pregnancy don'ts that I feel really complements this book so you can rest a little easier in your decisions as a grown adult and know to look past the sensationalist headlines that are often thrown at pregnant people.
on May 13, 2016
This book is mostly amazing, very informative, and fairly comprehensive (as these things can be). I think this had a gentle but professional tone that made it easy to read. I think this book aims to inform rather than dictate strict rules. It's a great resource overall, and I trust the Mayo Clinic name. One con I noticed is that sometimes the authors struggle with consistent language, though I think this from professional caution and not incompetency. For example in the same paragraph the authors say 'it's best to avoid caffeine whenever possible during pregnancy' (ok that sounds steadfast).... 'but overall studies show that a moderate intake - 200 mg ... - generally has no harmful effects on mom or baby'. (Oh, maybe not). I think they're goal is to inform, so I assume both interpretations of the data/studies were stated for readers to make their own decision. I just noticed this type of thing a few times. Again, I would definitely recommend this book because it has a ton of information. It has also been a good jumping point for further reading (books, online) but also for combing through papers on Google Scholar. Love.
on October 27, 2016
This book provided a lot of the basic information that's important to know when you're pregnant for the first time. I especially appreciated learning about what all of the screening tests are looking for as well as when you should call your doctor for abnormal symptoms (all information I did not receive from my doctor). However, if you read it straight through from cover to cover like I did, you will quickly notice that some sections basically repeat others, almost verbatim. I think this book could have used some condensing, but was overall informative.
on July 15, 2016
I live out in the middle of nowhere with limited OBGYN choices and don't much care for the one I've got. This book is what keeps me sane. When my doctor says it's too soon to ask that question, I go home and find the answer in my Mayo book. It's well written and my husband is learning a lot from it, too. We are excited to be getting the Mayo baby book once our baby is born after reading this book!
on March 3, 2016
I'm really loving the book so far! It goes through the baby's development and what is happening with your body month by month. Then it talks about newborn care and taking the baby home and a bunch of very useful things! There have been several things that my mommy friends have mentioned about newborn care that I had no clue about and I always thought 'how am I supposed to learn all of this?!', well the book is starting to talk about all of these things! Also, a lot of pregnancy books make having a child sound so negative and daunting but this one doesn't! It is more scientific but not too scientific that it's boring or hard to understand. I would highly recommend it!
on August 1, 2016
The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy is an excellent, no-scare resource for pregnancy. I had heard "What to Expect When You're Expecting" was fear and paranoia inducing "guide" to pregnancy. I wanted to educate myself on pregnancy with evidence-based information compiled by healthcare professionals who are mothers. This book provides exactly that. The book provides a wealth of information in a format that is easy to navigate and easy to read. You can ready sections all the way through, quickly look up your current symptoms, or look up whatever specific question pops into your mind at that moment, all with ease.
on January 5, 2017
Very comprehensive book on pregnancy. It was organized well and I appreciate that the "What could go wrong this month" information was kept separate so you wouldn't accidentally read it if you didn't want to. It's great information to have, but can make you paranoid, especially if it's your first pregnancy.