Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 5, 2013
I've had this fridge for 7 years now. Over time the milk bin lift up lid has cracked in half, The deli drawer lid has cracked, the handle fell off the freezer (it has internal screws, so difficult to put back on, so I haven't), the doors won't close now without pushing on them both at same time, and now the ice machine makes ice, but won't dispense (maybe the motor to push it out has broke?) The deli drawer will freeze things in the back of drawer. Sometimes my condiments that I keep on the little shelf next to ice maker will be frozen as well. Ice machine capacity is so so.
Other than all this, I've liked the fridge. I guess you just learn to deal with what you have. I don't think it's too loud like some have said. Ice dropping into bucket will always be a little loud. Stainless steel washes off nicely to keep it looking new. There will always be some maintenance with SS. Just wipe it down each time you do the dishes and it stays nice. I do use a SS cleaner/polish on it once a week. The drawers slide smoothly and bottom freezer doesn't seem to wobble when opening like I noticed on some fridges I looked at. The shelves are glass and wash up nicely.
This fridge was recommended by a local appliance repair/ sales store. I asked which company made the best fridges with least amount of repair problems. This Maytag was it. It does seem now days all refrigerators are made of plastic, so things will break.
on August 9, 2014
We bought this fridge new in 2006 (cost about $2500) from a Maytag Store (they still existed then). We also bought the long term extended warranty that went until 2018. The fridge completely stopped working a short time ago and so we sought out service through the extended warranty program. Service man came out and his diagnosis is that the fridge is likely beyond repair since it would cost about as much as much to repair as buying a new one. He said he'd report this to warranty folks and they would be in touch.
We didn't wait and called them. We were told that the claim for repair or replacement was being denied because the cause was 'corrosion' which is not covered as per section 16, part f, especially since it was due to owner neglect. I asked what that meant and was told that the report indicated that the 'water pan had not been emptied'. In utter surprise I responded that there was not water pan. I've always distrusted 'extended warranty' programs and purchasing this one was the exception to never buying them and so I started becoming suspicious. I opened up the back panels of the fridge and checked myself and there is absolutely no corrosion or rust to be seen.
Called the repair man back and he explained that yes he did write 'corrosion' in his report because that's how he suspects the coolant drained out, but that it is a common failure in these fridges and there is nothing the owner can do to prevent it. He further said he did not report anything about a water pan. He said he would call the warranty folks to clarify. I still suspect that the use of the 'corrosion' exemption is one of the tricks used to get out of paying claims. So we are now seeking to have the claim honored since it is an inherent fault in the design but this experience has now left me with 2 opinions: Extended Warranties are as useless as I've always suspected and Maytag appliances are not the quality they once were.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on January 19, 2015
Magtag French mfi2568aes ice maker is not working, and there are not instruction any where to check what is wrong. The design is so bad that you cannot figure out how to get the ice maker out. After digging for a while, I noticed that every one is stuck at the plastic piece. There is a horizontal plastic lock into a vertical plastic. A lot of people stuck at this clip and tried get it free using a flag screw drive. The horizontal plastic is level flat with the hole that it provide, you need press the horizontal flat down so that it can go under the vertical insert. At the same time there is a clip in the front to hold the plastic cover there. Once it comes loose, you can disconnect the cable, and slide the whole ice maker out. The design is so bad that you really need to pull hard to get it out. Bad design, or they did it that way, and you need to hire someone to do this for you. It took less than a minutes, think about you may have to pay 100.00 + dollar for labour. After I got the whole thing out, I just unscrew couple of screws and look at the whole thing, it is very simple. My problem was the arm of the ice maker is stuck, once I unscrew the bigger wheel, the arm is loose, I just put every thing together. I figured that the part is not fitting tight or cheap plastic give when it is turning. I believe some of the videos or blogs, I would have replace the whole thing. I got the feeling that Magtag will get more business that way. What happen to the principle of proud of your design and make it well. I am happy to see the Tesla car manufacture is still there to make great car, and hope they may go into make a better refrigerator too.
on August 13, 2016
You'll find you have less storage than you think-the ice maker takes up a LOT of space in the fridge cavity.
That said, I went back and forth with Geek Squad repairs constantly having to have them order replacement parts,meverything inside is plastic-this has gone on the past two years. NOW, 2 months after the extended warranty expired, we woke up to a fridge/freezer that's warm. All food is defrosted overnight. Checked/replaced the relay switch and the pins on the compressor have continuity. Checked all the web sites and you tube videos we can find. Hate to resort to a repair guy that's probably going to run in the hundreds of dollars. PO'd beyond belief, this thing is only about 7 years old!!!
on June 10, 2015
after 6 years of service, the control panel in front of the refrig blinks and ice door open and close repeatedly, the temp does not hold, all settings are voided. the issue is the back control board (in the back of the refrig) shorted or volt misleading. had to research and buy replacement. if you get a tech it cost around 400. the maytag support is beyond useless, and they stated they never seen or know about this issue and recommend to you get a tech. but on the web this issue is well known and people are having a hard time fixing. so that means maytag is lying or just stupid (i think it is both). with the new card 120650710, the code 1411 did not work. and after 2 days of researching on the web, card 120650710 can work by entering code 0302 but some features does work. or buy card w10310240 and put in code: 1411. maytag support should have just told me what to buy and what code to use. but i have to do all the research and spend lots of money and time to fix. i will never buy any maytag ever again.
on August 15, 2015
I've had this refrigerator for more than 10years. I love it. It's he best refrigerator I have ever owned. All of the bells n whistles work fine (ie, door chill, ice and water in door, adjustable and pull out shelves, deli drawer, etc) and I have never had to call anyone for repairs. Nothing has ever broken.

I only have 2 complaints. One is the bottom shield (black plastic facade piece that hides front/feet). It doensn't clip in very well and ends up just sitting on the floor in front. It only bothers me when I mop and occasionally someone will kick it out of position. My second complaint is that the wide "deli drawer" door (that flips up when you pull out the drawer) is very fragile. I take it out to clean it and have to be very gentle. I have not broken it only because I am extremely careful. It is not very well designed for constant use and cleaning. It should be far more durable.
on November 25, 2007
I expected this Frig to be quiet. My old Whirlpool was noisy but worked great. I replaced it mostly because it is located in a family room / kitchen area that the constant running motor made it difficult to hear the tv, etc. So I figured the brand new Maytag with the bottom freezer would be quieter. No way. It is actually noisier than the old Whirlpool I am now looking for a french door that is quiet. I may not be able to find that in a french door but I am going to try. My daughter has a Kitchenaid side by side that is very quiet. so I will check that line out. In addtion to the noise, the icemaker spews ice all over the place every time. No matter how carefully I hold the glass to depress the switch, it goes all over the floor..everytime. If you hold your hand there to adjust the ice capture, it goes behind the glass. The water dispenser is slow to fill up glasses, and you cannot get a big container under it, and you have to bend over to make sure you have the teeny weeny spout just perfectly placed so you don't get a bath. In other words the dispenser switch is clumsy.
I like the freezer access on the bottom, but you have to be sure to lock the rollers on the floor or you will pull out the whole refrigerator when you open the drawer. So for a frig at this price, I am disappointed.
3 helpful votes
on December 28, 2012
We purchased a 2 yr. old home that had this thing in the kitchen. I have never hated an applicance so much in my life! Gads, my old Kitchen Aid Side by Side refer had more storage space than this monster thing. Yeah, it's big and deep but it seems like someone didn't really think about how to organize and place things inside. It also has a water filter cartridge that needs to be replaced (not cheap either). The ice bin sucks up a lot of space inside the refer and stores only a pathetic amount of ice. Ice dispenser spits ice fragments out onto the floor. Ice bin difficult to remove as well. Anything placed on the shelf next to the ice bin becomes frozen. Argh!

Shortly after moving in the refer door banged into the deli drawer lid and broke one of the hinges. I was able to rig the lid so it would work again, but had to treat it gently. Today my repair came un-done. After reading reviews on this refer I am not sure I want to spend the money to fix the drawer lid, especially if the company has turned a deaf ear to consumer complaints and hasn't come up with sturdier hinges (they are only plastic, not metal). I also hate the freezer bin at the bottom - difficult to pull open (I'm a small person.) and once the bin is open it is like digging for buried treasure. The bin is just a deep pit with a couple of sliding bins on top for smaller things. I hope this P.O.S. thing dies soon so I can get a better refer.
on June 24, 2007
UPDATE: This machine died after 9 months: the main circuit board failed. Apparently, this is a known problem. When we called Maytag, they should have overnighted a replacement board. Instead, they sent a repairman (next day) who didn't have the board. He emergency ordered it and it arrived two days later. We replaced the board (easy) and entered a code. Everything works now. But, we're very unhappy with this.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Our old GE refrigerator (over 13 years old) failed. So, we figured we'd replace it with one with better energy efficiency. We wanted stainless steel, a freezer on the bottom, and an ice/water dispenser in the door. Plus, it had to be as big as we could fit into the space. This Maytag was one of the very, very few that met the criteria.

The first that we bought (locally) never cooled down (even though the compressor and fans were running continuously). By the next day, the refrigerator was around 53 degrees Fahrenheit and the freezer was only in the 40s. After various trials and tribulations, we got a replacement. This one works. However:

- It takes a long time to reach operating temperature. I think this is a function of all the energy saving things they put in the machines nowadays (which is one of the reasons we decided to replace the old machine instead of repairing it). It seems that these new machines depend more on insulation than on raw power to keep things cool.
- The ice-maker is small. One pitcher of ice in our iced-tea maker empties it, and each subsequent batch of five ice cubes takes about two hours to produce.
- Even though we now have two doors on which to store things, it seems to hold fewer items than the single door of our old side-by-side refrigerator. Specifically, we used to have three containers of milk in the door. Now, we have two.
- The turn-crank for adjusting the height of one of the shelves doesn't seem that useful. There's nothing wrong with it -- it's just that it would be almost as easy to just pull the shelf out and adjust it like any other shelf. I suppose that if you're always adjusting things it might be easier. But, we just set it once and don't adjust things ever again.
- The ice-maker takes up quite a bit of space in the refrigerator. There's not a lot that anyone can do about that, though.
- The wide "deli" drawer is nice. But, to open it, you have to open both refrigerator doors.
- We wanted the bottom freezer for a wide freezing space. But, it turns out that the space is divided into two halves (each with its own sliding tub above it). The divider is fixed in place. So, there's no wide space.
- The sides of this refrigerator are black, not stainless steel. That's not really a problem -- it was just unexpected. One bonus to the black sides is that magnets stick to them, whereas they don't stick to the stainless steel front sections.

In general, this Maytag MFI2568AES looks nice and performs adequately. But, even though it has a wide refrigerator and wide-seeming freezer area, it doesn't feel like we've gotten any better abilities to store things. Plus, even though the ice-maker works fine on day-to-day things, its puny capacity really limits things. All-in-all, even ignoring that first DOA unit, the best I can rate this is an OK three stars out of five.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on June 25, 2008
We bought this refrigerator in January 2007 and our experiences have been much like the other reviews. We would not buy it again! Ours has done a good job keeping the food cold, in fact, we are about to call the serviceman because the ice maker is again freezing the food in the main compartment. The left hand door needs a little assistance to close tightly, a characteristic I believe of bottom freezer models so we have been very cautious to insure it was closed. If this isn't done, the ice maker might work overtime and may freeze food adjacent to it (so we are told). We are certain that is not the case this time! Maybe the ice maker does not stop making ice when it should and thus ice chunks get wedged in places that cause the ice maker to operate overtime - I doubt it but something is going on or the high humidity of the area is the culprit...I suspect Maytag knows the real problem and should stop making this model.

This will be our third call on this same problem! Enough! We paid a premium for what we thought would be a good quality appliance and Maytag has not delivered. The only thing I feel good about is I purchased an extended service contract, something I seldom do but previous poor experience with an Amana ice maker prompted the purchase. Why can't they get it right - this is not new cutting edge technology.

Update: Third time a charm? Maybe so. The last repairman to visit seemed to have experience with this Maytag replaced the baffle (its been awhile and not sure if I am correct on the fix). Operation was much improved but water placed immediately adjacent to the ice making compartment still showed minor ice formation.

Unfortunately, it is getting worse and now an entire bottle of water freezes! The low ratings this thing received are richly deserved
6 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.