Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 474 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 522 reviews
on July 15, 2013
I like this product. I have used McAfee for over 12 years. I have never had virus problems when my subscription is active. One thing I do not like is that McAfee constantly alerts me via their anti-virus application for more upgrades. It goes like this "Your Computer is at Risk!" while presenting a button to upgrade. I am completely satisfied with the product that I have purchased and I do not want nor do I need any upgrades. Moreover, I do not want to pay for more upgrades. It is very easy to just click on the button and find later that your PayPal account has been debited for an upgrade. So, I wish McAfee would quit fishing for upgrades using the application that I have already paid for.
on December 23, 2012
Locked my computer up. Couldn't uninstall the program. Sought technical help. They couldn't get it uninstalled either, even when I let them have access to my computer. Tech tried to sell me another software program for $400.00. He said that would take care of my problem. Really. My east coast friend got me a McAfee web site and I was finally able to uninstall the software (wonder why the tech didn't know about this web site and pass the information along to me). Maybe it was because of the fact that I couldn't understand his "broken english". Nor could I understand his supervisor nor could I understand the supervisors boss. Never did get to anybody that would take care of this issue. Out sourcing is alive and well. What ever happened to being able to talk to a good ole "English speaking American" here in the U.S.? One that could be understood without having to say "please repeat what you said" again and again and again. Then there's "will you speak slowly so I can understand you" or how about "getting me someone I can understand". I never did get the software to work. It's setting up on a shelf, drawing dust. I know one thing. I'll never purchase anything from McAfee. There are better anti-virus programs on the market. I hope that you have better luck with McAfee and their technical support and managers than I did. If I could rate this product any lower than I did, I would. No more McAfee for me.
on September 7, 2013
Suspected Fraud. Hidden fees, an undisclosed policy change in total cost of software, structural abuse in dealing with company.

I bought this product in August 2013 as end of year cycle product on a promotional clearance.

I assumed that the discount price of 14.00 dollars was promotional for DVD copy of McAfee Total Protection 2013.
I was dismayed to find that product required an online registration-activation fee of 69.99 dollars.
The product worked for a limited time of 2 weeks (the time allowance for required registration).

During this time interval there were constant annoying notices to register and of course pay the 69.99 dollar fee.

Other products are cheaper, even on-line McAfee offical purchase is only 44.99 dollars. I see other ads for McAfee Total Protection 2014 for 29.99 dollars. Is this a fraud or end of year product cycle dissapointment.
on January 4, 2014
I have had McAfee "protection" off and on the past 20+ years. During that time when I have had them as "protection," I picked up a virus or malware on three different occasions. I would then change to different software until I would see that McAfee was being sold at an irresistible price (called the promotion to bait you back). I would take the bait and buy their product. I used this purchase on my old laptop (I get free Norton with my Comcast service) which I just use for banking. It is important that that computer be safe from threats since I use it to bank on line. I rarely ever use it to click on a link or download any software. Some how after I installed "McAfee Total Protection," i got some malware. I scanned using McAfee but it never recognized nor did it remove it. When I went to their site to try to get help, I saw that they would give help to remove an infected computer FOR A FEE. It made me think there was no incentive to make sure their program is up to date and ahead of the quickly moving virus/malware infection curve. I did buy Malwarebytes on line and IT REMOVED the malware that had been plaguing me on this old computer. I still have McAfee "Total Protection" running on my old laptop, but when it expires I will remove ALL remnants of this software and never buy their product again, no matter how good the deal is on their software. I gave it an average rating (very generous) because sadly I believe this is how many of similar programs are. It does protect me from KNOWN attacks. It is the newer ones it is not so good about preventing (until the horses have left the OPEN yard).
on October 14, 2013
Ive always liked McAfee so when I bought a new laptop I decided to use them for my computer's protection versus Viper which came with my last desktop computer. I started with the 30 Day free trial of McAfee Total Protection downloaded from their official website, & when the 30 days was almost up I bought this from Amazon. I chose to go with Amazon because of the HUGE price difference. Here I paid $12.32 for the actual product & with shipping, since I was purchasing under $25 worth of Amazon stuff, the total was a little under $17 versus $45 with a discount or $99 without from McAfee, & this is for 3 computers or, I think, 3 years worth of virus protection.

Since I already had a McAfee account, & this specific software was already installed via the trial, I just needed to go to a certain page on the McAfee website, enter the code that comes with the CD (CD isnt necessary), verified my subscription, & was good to go. Back when I had to install it the guidelines were easy to follow so no worries there. It did take a bit, like most larger programs, but its not like it was inconvenient or anything, & the installation ran smoothly. The whole system is easy to navigate & manage, & even though im not very techy I love the features I understand, especially the online stuff like how it shows which websites have good ratings, bad ratings, or no ratings for viruses, malicious software, etc & it blocks suspicious ads that can sometimes show up in forums & stuff.

The only thing I have to say im extremely disappointed with is the shipping on Amazon's part so nothing to do with the actual product. Below is my packaging review that I left for them.

The package arrived on time & in an envelope with built in bubble wrap. When the parcel arrived the outside of the envelop was torn, & even though the bubble wrap was still intact you could see what was inside. What if someone decided to steal it to illegally resell it or something else? To top it off the bubble wrap wasnt enough padding& the box that my McAfee stuff was packaged in had clearly been squished at some point, & the box was flattened/crumpled. Upon opening the box the CD was 1/2 way out of the envelope & was scratched. Thankfully the CD isnt necessary, but im still highly disappointed in how this was product was packaged & handled.

I give the product 5 stars but the packaging a 1. Ill defintely keep using McAfee to keep my computer safe. Like I said the CD isnt necessary so it wasnt a huge loss, but if I decide to order this from Amazon again in the future I really hope that they do a better job with their packaging.
on July 22, 2015
There are many competing products, but I chose to renew my McAfee subscription as the course of least resistance.

I have had this product for several years now. If you need assistance, you may be better off finding some local expert rather than relying on their telephone help line. They have different levels of expert. The first level have been very polite and courteous, but have little competence. On different occasions I have finally succeeded in getting to a higher level. In one case, after a period of 3 days of being logged remotely on to my computer, things were made worse by the McAfee "expert". I ended up having to reload a backup of my system.

When my current subscription expires, I will probably choose one of the competing products.
on February 18, 2013
I got this to replace my soon to expire Norton Security on my Dell Laptop. I've had issues with McAfee years ago but read several reviews about "how great" this product was and how it is "much better" than Norton. Unloaded my Norton and tried to load McAfee. I started having serious issues out of the gate. First it messed up my wireless connection and after about 2 hours was able to tweek it enough to use it again, but then the Real-Time scanner kept turning itself off. Went to McAfee support and discovered that my version (which was from the CD supplied) had a problem and I needed to download a full update, not much fun on satellite internet (they have strict daily download limits). Even after updating the software fully and troubleshooting for over 4 hours, I was still having massive issues. (by the way, I am fairly savvy with tweeking seetings on computer systems). Finally I gave up trying to get it to work and deleted it and reloaded my Norton. Guess what, everything worked perfectly once I did that.

Please don't waste your money like I did on an inferior product.
on September 5, 2013
I will never buy a McAfee product again...I had purchased total protection 2012 last year and it worked great. Today I tried to install total protection 2013. What a nightmare...I spent hours installing, un-installing, installing...etc...The first msg I got was that the virus scan was not activated, I clicked the fix here button and was taken to the McAfee site where I could PURCHASE the virus scan aspect...wasn't this part of the total protection package? Finally had to call tech support and I was instructed what to do. I followed the instructions and it did not work. What I believe is that the disc itself will not install the product due to the suite being updated post manufacture...the techie told me this. Mcafee wants you to install the disc so that they recognize you as a legit purchaser and then cajole you into using the internet to download the program. What a crock. Never again...
on April 14, 2013
I had to reinstall 3 times on my PC it worked fine on my laptops but not my PC the First time It did not want to be installed the second time it was having issues whit one of my other Software System Mechanic and then My internet was cut off from me and finally after taking off my other software and McAfee restarting my computer putting McAfee first then System Mechanic again finally Internet was not dropped the software did not crash on me and both are playing Nice now what I find weird that I did not have the same problem whit my laptops if that was the case I would have given McAfee a 1 star for being a little Punk but since everything is running smooth and I have had no issues for a while already and it does a good job letting me know when my little bro is on the internet and what he's watching and I have control it makes my job as an Older sibling that is more like a Parent much better and less stressful will buy again and the Seller did not disappoint and was Honest on his description will buy again
on July 17, 2013
After I received it and start to installed it by the complex and time consumed procedures. Finally ask me to type in the KEY. I typed it in carefully and correctly, but rejected, because of "invalid key". I contact McAfee by online chat that is complex procedures also. Asked me to supply the order document. I just can't do it, because the chat screen can't attach any file. I ask the email address, but refused and said that there in no this option. Only way is let McAfee to remote control my PC that is time consumed and invaded the customer's privacy. I wasted a coupe of hours for nothing. How could the McAfee sell the product and attached a invalid KEY ? How could McAfee refuse to supply an email to let customer send in the order document that they asked? Buy McAfee product is just to buy a problem!!!!!

After no choice but returning the product, I reordered another one and received today(08/07/2013), because " expired, no protection, dangerous for your PC" pop up to my PC screen from time to time. It bother me a lot. I install it and type the KEY correctly, This time the screen shows: Activation can't continue. We're sorry, but we're having trouble activating McAfee products.----- What McAfee!!! How could they sell this king products???
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.