McAfee Total Protection 3 User 2010 [OLD VERSION]
- McAfee Total Protection 2010 provides award-winning PC and online security for total peace of mind
- Detects, blocks, and removes viruses, spyware, and adware
- Identity protection helps you to shop, bank, and trade online safely
- Parental controls allow your children to go online safely
- Advanced home network protection with network monitoring
There is a newer version of this item:
Customers also shopped for
McAfee Total Protection suite offers you and your family the ultimate PC and online security with accelerated performance. It’s now available with revolutionary Active Protection technology, enabling the fastest updates and highest levels of detection against malicious threats. It provides anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, anti-phishing, and firewall, in addition to parental controls and identity protection. Also included are a powerful website safety advisor and bonus McAfee Anti-Theft File Protection software.
McAfee Total Protection suite offers you and your family the ultimate PC and online security with accelerated performance. It's now available with revolutionary Active Protection technology, enabling the fastest updates and highest levels of detection against malicious threats. It provides anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, anti-phishing, two-way firewall in addition to parental controls, identity protection, and a powerful website safety advisor.
The ultimate PC and online security for you and your family.
McAfee Total Protection suite includes bonus download of McAfee Anti-Theft File Protection software that secures your valuable files. With continuous and automatic updates, McAfee helps ensure that you are running the most current security to combat the ever-evolving Internet threats.
Ultimate, award-winning PC and online security for total peace of mind.
Anti-virus and anti-spyware
Detects, blocks, and removes viruses, spyware, and adware.
Alerts you to websites that may try to steal your identity.
Helps you to shop, bank, and trade online safely.
Two-way firewall protection
Confidently use the Internet 24/7 knowing hackers can't get access to your PCs.
Website safety ratings
A powerful website guide and shield, McAfee SiteAdvisor technology helps you to search safely and transact online by providing you with color-coded ratings to warn you about and prevent you from visiting risky websites that can compromise your identity and your PC.
New 2010 Product Features
Our revolutionary Active Protection technology provides the fastest protection against malicious threats to your PC. New and emerging threats are analyzed and blocked in milliseconds, so you don't have to wait for regular updates to arrive.
Checks for threats in the areas of your computer that are most often attacked.
Automatically saves copies of your most valuable files on a CD/ DVD, USB, external, or network drive.
McAfee SiteAdvisor technology helps you to search safely and transact online by providing you with color-coded ratings to warn you about and prevent you from visiting risky websites that can compromise your identity and your PC.
Now with quicker startup, shutdown, and scan times, and it runs silently in the background without slowing down your PC, so you can play games, watch videos, and use applications uninterrupted.
Upgraded with powerful industry grade spam protection that helps keep your inbox free from unwanted, fraudulent, offensive, and phishing emails.
Extends the battery lifetime of notebook PCs by deferring scheduled scans until the computer is plugged in and can be set up to shut down automatically after running a scan to help save energy.
Alerts you when intruders connect to your home network.
Automatically sets the proper content filtering levels of popular search engines.
Parental controls support for Google Chrome
Lets your children choose Google's latest web browser and still be protected.
The McAfee AdvantageMcAfee security products use award-winning technology, are easy to install, and come with unlimited email and instant message chat assistance. With continuous and automatic updates, McAfee helps ensure that you are running the most current security to combat the ever-evolving Internet threats for the duration of your subscription.
Provides an easy-to-read security status screen and puts you in control with fully customizable options.
Warns you when your computer shows specific behavior that may signal virus, spyware, or hacker activity.
Makes your computer invisible to hackers.
Allows you to effectively remove any and all traces of confidential files from your computer.
Allows your children to go online safely.
Automatically saves copies of your most valuable files on a CD/ DVD, USB, external, or network drive.
Protection Without Interference
You can watch movies or play games uninterrupted as McAfee security intelligently defers tasks, updates, and alerts when you're in full-screen mode.
Top customer reviews
But first, let me give you a quick warning. Those of you who are purchasing this product because of the rebate, you'll be lucky to receive one. McAfee invalidated my $25 rebate for no reason whatsoever even though I submitted the items requested by mail well before the expiration date. I'm still waiting for a response as to why the denial.
Again, DO NOT PURCHASE MCAFEE BECAUSE OF THE REBATE! You can do EVERYTHING right and they'll still screw you.
Moving on, I'll begin with other reasons NOT TO PURCHASE this absurd product.
1) Memory usage is the WORST I've ever experienced from any anti-malware vendor. On my Windows XP system, it is currently using no less than EIGHT different processes occupying over 150 megabytes of memory. The memory usage does fluctuate and I've seen where it surpasses over 300 megabytes at times. Simply incredible! In other words, this software is a memory hog and will slow down your system.
2) McAfee's software frequently disables itself (both the anti-virus and firewall modules) for long stretches of time for no apparent reason but it does appear to do so after receiving the latest updates. There are a lot of people who have similiar issues with no known solutions (search Google, you'll see). It'll usually re-arm itself if you wait long enough, but sometimes you'll need to re-arm it yourself. Of course, doing this time you're left UNPROTECTED. That is unacceptable!
3) McAfee Total Protection is geared towards the computer newbie which is okay in itself, except it doesn't offer truly advanced functions (yes, there is an Advanced section but is laughable at best). When McAfee interferes with your software, whether blocking legitimate programs or deleting legitimate files (yes, you heard this on the news, right?) McAfee offers little to no recourse in working around the problem. For example, if McAfee detects a false positive you have two options. You can choose to restore the file but guess what? As soon as you do, McAfee is quick to delete it IMMEDIATELY afterwards! Who's insane idea of humor is this? So restoring a false positive doesn't work. 2nd option, you can contact McAfee about the false positive. The problem is that their support, if you can call it that, is haphazard. Good luck with that one. There is a 3rd option. You can temporarily disable the anti-virus module which is what I had to resort to when I had to work with a file falsely detected by McAfee. Truly ludicrous.
What most other vendors offer that McAfee doesn't in this case is a "trust", "override" or "allow" option to permit the file being falsely detected. It's mind-boggling why they left this option out, especially since McAfee is FAMOUS for false positives!
4) And onto the other end of the spectrum, McAfee is PITIFUL on detecting legitimate malware! Free anti-malware software such as Avast, AVG and even Microsoft's Security Essentials will protect your system far better than McAfee can. My son recently plugged in his USB drive into my computer after just having plugged it in at his school. It was riddled with viruses and trojans. McAfee detected just 6 of 10 items. The other 4 I was left to deal with myself. Thanks alot MCAFEE!
5) Submitting potential virus samples to McAfee (Avert Labs) is nearly useless. On an obvious virus that was creating hidden system files in my computer (I detected this with other software) the McAfee software sat idly by. So when I submitted the virus sample I got one inquiry from them about it and then... nothing happened! Nothing! They just let it go. How's that?
Are there any positives about McAfee Total Protection?
I can really only think of one and this is ease of use. It was made for the beginning PC user and nothing more. Still, the menu system can sort of get you going in circles but maybe that's just me.
And finally, there is the deceitful rebate issue. I've stayed away from mail-in rebates for years for precisely this reason but maybe this time it'll work, I told myself. Who am I kidding? So many manufacturers persist in screwing there customers with mail-in rebate scandals I am amazed there isn't a bigger outcry.
The thing is, if this software actually did its job well I really wouldn't be that mad about the rebate. It's 25 bucks. Well worth it if the software was good. The fact that the rebate was denied AND that this software is total crap makes me feel like a sucker instead.
So stay far away from McAfee Total Protection. The only thing that McAfee does satisfactorily in is with enterprise protection... well at least far better compared to its software for home users. It's a night and day difference.
My recommendations? Nearly everything else, and that is including the free stuff like from AVG and Microsoft. They run circles around McAfee AND don't have nearly as big a footprint.
I also had major issues activating this product, which wouldn't have been a problem except you can't get automatic updates or anything until you've activated. If you can't activate, then you aren't fully protected by the product.
The only good news is that I haven't had any issues with viruses since installing this product. However, I do take other measures beyond McAfee to secure my computer and would recommend the same to others, especially based on other reviews for this product. If you choose to purchase this product, I would also highly recommend cleaning your computer's registry immediately after installing, which may help if your computer freezes during the booting process.
Why cant your product delete all earlier versions and do a clean install all by itself, and ensure that you can connect to the server for activation? Make is as painful as you can for the customers!!! A perfect recipe for failure.