Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 12, 2000
Sid Fleischman Came to me on accident. This book was a yard sale find. Because his words were so magical for me as well as my son, I had to find more. I wasn't disapointed when, at yet another yard sale I found McBrooms Ghost. It was so good. I read it to several children of various ages on a camping trip. Needless to say, it was all they could talk about. I've found Amazon carries all of the McBroom writings. I will purchase them all for my childs collection. These books may be old but I hope my son can pass them on to his children
on May 27, 2001
a refreshing back to the basics book that makes kids laugh and gives parents a good grin. Fleischman and Blake are a great combo as they bring out the hidden world of rural backwaters and corny jokes. my kids are all ears and big eyes as I read, and they love to hear the tall tales get taller. we've never regretted buying this ageless classic.
on August 31, 2007
This is one of the books that hooked my son into reading. He was in second grade, and was a pretty reluctant reader, in spite of my regular read-alouds and efforts to find engaging, "living" books for him. This book had him laughing aloud repeatedly, and he read it in one sitting. It led to a great discussion about tall tales and exaggeration, and I found some older classic tall tales for him to read.

After tall tales, my son read and loved "Mr. Popper's Penguins", another funny book, and the Beverly Cleary Ramona and Henry Huggins books, also funny but not quite so outlandishly. He also liked the Junie B Jones series, in fact, he read through those before Cleary.
on May 26, 2015
This book is a collection of three tall tales by author Sid Fleischman about McBroom's wonderful one-acre farm in the first-person narrative of McBroom. McBroom, his wife Melissa, and their eleven children leave their old farm in Connecticut and move West in search of a good farmland. They get misled into buying a boggy-looking pond, about one-acre, in Iowa by a slimy character. However, McBroom and his family were able to turn their misfortune around and prosper in their one-acre farm. People start talking nonsense about his farm. So, he tells the "truth" about how they save their farm from the trickster Mr. Heck Jones, the big wind, and the hungry grasshoppers. McBroom and his happy lot have plenty of sparkle, wit and strength for each other. McBroom claims that he would rather die than tamper with truth. But, his tales are full of very funny and imaginative fibs. This short-read is suitable for children, aged six and above.
on February 9, 2015
An old childhood favorite. I read it aloud to my 6 and 3 year old and the 6 year old enjoyed it more than the 3 yr old., although she did listen with wide eyes. It's a great way to introduce longer stories and transition out of picture books.
on December 8, 2011
My 7 and 9 year old children belly-laughed at many of the antics in this collection of short stories. The stories are just the right length for a mid-day, mid-activity reading break. If your day needs a touch a light-hearted silliness, this may do the trick!
on August 19, 2013
This was my favorite story as a kid and was my son's favorite stories. I purchased it to read to my boyfriends children and my grandchildren when they are old enough. It is a fun and wild story and kids love to hear it or read it. Especially when you do different voices with the characters. Its a great book for kids 2nd grade - 5th grade.
on November 25, 2011
I so loved this author and all his tall tales about the McBroom family, when I was an elementary teacher of gifted young readers, that have I remembered and sought them out these thirty-five years later to give them to my grandchildren. I delight in reading them together for all the giggles they evoke!
on September 16, 2006
My oldest gave this book such rave reviews that my husband started to read it. He couldn't put it down as he read it aloud to the rest of the family. Now it is almost time for my new seven year old to read it. I am looking forward to hearing it again. It is really funny!
on August 2, 2014
Big disappointment. Most of the illustrations are missing. I miss at least half the humor of the book without them.