Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 7, 2013
One fixable flaw: the ratio of "filler words" is low, resulting in players pressed into making "headline-style" sentences (which are actually forbidden by the rules, and harder for kids to get the hang of, and just generally awkward). If you depend on the chance shuffle to get filler-word cards, you may end up with a whole hand that's entirely nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. So, I've bundled most of the filler-word cards (ones with prepositions, pronouns, conjunctions, etc., as well as wild cards) and we make sure that each player is dealt a hand that includes two (or even three) from the filler-words deck.

Less easily fixable: The name cards (each offering five choices based on an initial letter) are skewed towards someone's favorite population of celebrities and historical figures -- 85% male, in terms of real-life names used in the game -- plus some silly alliterative stereotypes on male and female names (Superior Scott, Roaring Ricky, Gorgeous Gina, Pretty Paula). Thankfully, there's always a wild-card option on each name card. Still, this makes me less enthusiastic about playing, especially with kids, because of the implicit message that of course it's more fun to make up sentences about men.

Edit: a picture summarizing one comment on my review, using the cards.
review image
55 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 23, 2013
The first time I played this game was with a family who had it just for fun. It's nice because it works for kids above about 5th or 6th grade.
I bought two of them: one for me and one for my English class. I teach English at an international school overseas and this game is very useful because the kids have to know and use different forms of the word given correctly. My students who don't know English well are able to play it at a basic level and my students who are native speakers are able to play it at a more complex level. The game works for all levels just by the way it is designed.
The game has hexagon cards and the words on each side are all related (all articles, all different forms of the same word, etc.). You line them up to make the most grammatical sentence. It does NOT have to make sense which is where the fun lies in this game. I would recommend it for a family as much as for an English class!
on December 10, 2013
This is a good game for people who love language and for kids and teens who need to work on grammar and parts of speech. They can learn more about nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and so on. It can be very challenging for some. The names on the cards are not always people we know about, so that part isn't very helpful in making interesting sentences. Maybe if the names had a small summary of who that person is or was would be helpful for the teens and kids and sometimes even the adults, like me.
on December 28, 2012
Five word-game fanatics in our family tested this game over the holidays to see if it met our 'fun quotient' - it did! The game's play objectives were challenging - make a grammatically correct sentence using the bits and pieces pictured on one of the five edges of the 10 cards in your hand - but it also made for a lot of laughs when players read their sentences to the group.

The only 'mushy' part of this game is that there's no way to prove that any given sentence is grammatically correct, since there's no reference that can determine that. The game's rule is that, if the group agrees on the correctness of the sentence, then, it is so. Kind of chancy, I think.

All in all, the game is a lot of fun.
on September 5, 2014
The game is fun, if a bit confusing, but it doesn't have the great smooth gameplay that other word games like Balderdash or Bananagrams or even Apples to Apples has. Elements of each of those, but I don't think the whole works quite as well.
on June 4, 2009
I play this game without keeping score with my 9 and 13 year old daughters. It can be played for 5 minutes to hours depending on your schedule. It is just as much fun for 2 players as it is for a group or 10. The add on decks are lots of fun but not necessary. This can turn into a grammar lesson along with just for fun of it.
Reading is required along for some sense of sentence structure. Most 3rd graders and many 2nd graders will be able to play this game. It is just as fun for adults as it is for kids. Does not require holding of cards so those with dexterity issues can play this also.
Scoring is easy but not necessary for fun. Timer is provided but not necessary. Can play as individuals or in teams.
I reveiwed the directions for a few minutes and the kids did a learn as you play hand. We were all having fun in minutes after opening the box.
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 25, 2016
Great game for the classroom. Took a bit of rule changing to work for an entire class, but my students had a lot of fun. I teach middle school English so this game was a perfect add on for lessons in sentence structure. Lot's of fun.
on August 3, 2014
I purchased this game as a gift for an ELA teacher. Of course we had to try it out first. This game is tons of fun even for people who aren't grammar nuts. Making goofy sentences that are also grammatically correct proved to be a bit difficult. I believe that students will also get a kick out of this game.
on May 3, 2012
I bought this as a tool for working with my students at school on creating grammatically correct sentences. It works great! The directions are easy to follow and the students like arguing their points. This is one of my best school investments this year!
on December 25, 2014
Total fun for everyone. Each year I purchase a game for the whole family to share & play on Christmas day. There is a 60 year spread in ages covering three generations of family and all are on equal grounds in this game. Full of serious laughs & surprises!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.