Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Me on the Map (Dragonfly Books)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 25, 2001
In all my years as an elementary school librarian, this has to be the best introduction to maps that I have seen for primary grades. It is written at a 1.7 reading level, which makes it accessible to first through third grades. In our school, the third grade teachers do a unit on communities, and this title ties in beautifully with that.
I like the way Joan Sweeney starts with, "This is me" and builds the concept through "my room," "my house," "my street," and on to town, state, country and the world. Then she goes backwards until she concludes with "...everybody has their own special place on the map. Just like me."
on August 5, 2000
My four year son and I love this book. I used this book and the mapping activities it inspires to teach my son our address. We basically recreated this book with all of its maps to establish my child's very special place on the map (his bedroom, our home, our street, our town, our state, etc.)
If you like this book, try also: Me and My Family Tree.
on May 1, 2006
Excellent book! Not only it teaches about maps (from the map of your room to the map of the world) and geography but it is also excellent for teaching about

* sequences and patterns (each page follows the same template, expanding from the room to the world)

* spacial rotation and visualization (a map is a view from above)

* abstract represntation (a map is a schematic view, a model, of the objects it represents)

* permancence, presistence, and the transient nature of objects and their location (what should be on the map? - toys, books, socks?)
on December 13, 1998
This book is a great one to share in the classroom as an introduction to mapping. It begins with a girl making a map of her room, her house, her street, etc. Followup activities in the classroom that work well are mapping a student's room, house, classroom, and school.
on June 23, 2002
This book is simple yet engaging. My 4th grade students gained a deeper understanding of their location in this vast universe. They were able to follow the book's example and create their own personal map book. I believe this book should be a part of every elementary classroom.
on December 1, 2001
I love this book. It helps kids relate the reality of their world to the world as a whole, It also helps them understand maps, which are really fairly abstract. It starts with a picture of a little girl in her room, and, on the facing page, her drawing of a "map of my room". Then it shows her house, and her "map of my house". Then the street, with the house on it, then the town, with the street on it, etc. The pictures zoom all the way out to a view of the Earth from space. My daughter loves it, and has drawn "maps" of her room, our house, etc. like those in the book
on March 13, 2012
Thie content in this book is great. My six year old was intrigued by the pictures and it really helped him understand how he fits into the world and the idea of starting with the smaller location of home and moving out to a world view. The book spawned lots of discussion about where we live in relation to the world, state, city town and in relation to others we know. My only problem with this book is that it fell apart as soon as we got it. The binding in the spine came apart and the pages started falling out the first time we read it. Amazon replaced it promptly , that was great. However, the new copy is also not bound very well and starting to come apart. We read it very carefully...not ideal for a book made for young readers! It is a shame because it is a really good book. The binding is bad.
on March 20, 2011
My 3 year old was learning about her home address, neighborhood, city and state in pre-school and i was looking for an age appropriate book to supplement the teachers lessons. This book is excellent. It uses simple sentences and helps illustrate basic pre-school geography. The teacher even asked to borrow it.
on December 22, 2013
lustrated in full color, Me on The Map takes a approach on explaining maps in a abstract way. In full color and in a playful way, Me on The Map first introduces you to maps and geography, step by simple creatively simple step. How you ask? A young girl shows readers first shows readers a drawn map of her room done in crayon, than her house on the map of the street, all the way to her country on a map of the world. The young girl demonstrates to readers how they can find their own country, state, and town all the way back to their own backroom, each in a wonderful colorful map. With easy to read text and bright artwork it will have children eager to help navigate the next vacation, maybe Christmas or new years?
You know how many different types of maps there are? As you are reading the book, Sweeney simplifies the nature of the maps to help them more easily to understand, and inspires the cartographer in every child. Inspiring anyone who reads wanting to give a try at making their own map if only just for fun to see just where it might lead them even if it’s just out your own front door cause every step is an adventure and a new lesson to learn.
Do you know a different type of map that one time early before ships had navigation; the captains had to read the stars to navigate the ship to its destination to different countries around the earth all over the globe. What is the purpose the author writes in Me On The Map? It seems to me the author is trying to show the reader how fun and easy it is to read and make a map. As you read Me On The Map, have you decided what kind of map would be the most useful? Take a read and find out and enjoy and see where the adventure may take you.

Artist Cable's clear, decisive renderings show a wealth of detail on the scenic illustrations, while her creative progression of maps includes handmade examples, a souvenir state map, an elementary classroom map of the country and, finally, a "flat" map of the world. One that kids will enjoy replicating.
on November 29, 2015
This book is awesome for explaining to young children about their place in the world, and even introducing our solar system. The text is very simple and it gets the point across. There are other books that try to do the same thing, but they are too complicated for preschoolers and the message gets lost. This book is my favorite!