Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on July 2, 2017
These are absolutely not Mead brand as clearly stated. Completely deceptive and terrible quality.
review image
8 people found this helpful
on March 15, 2017
Boy, have composition notebooks changed! The cover is very flimsy. Last time I bought one, it had a hard cover which made it idea for travel and taking notes on your lap (if you have to; as I do this weekend). If I would've known this, I would've just bought a standard notebook for way less.
6 people found this helpful
on November 22, 2017
The picture definitely shows College Ruled, but I didn't notice that the description said Wide Ruled. It's annoying, but I can deal with that. But the set of notebooks I received has an assortment of colored covers (red, blue, yellow, green, purple, etc), NOT black.

Be sure that you want Wide Ruled if you order this item. And as soon as you receive it, open the box to check the color of the covers. I didn't do that right away (nothing could go wrong with a set of composition books, I thought) and missed the return deadline by a couple of days, so I am stuck with them.

I use my notebooks for in a scientific business, and am not going to carry a purple notebook around. Maybe I can donate them to an elementary school. Not happy to lose $30
2 people found this helpful
on September 23, 2016
Use them all them time. In grad school/med school, and I use these as my reading journals, as well as personal journal. By reading journals I mean I write about what I study; it's a tool I use to remember and comment. I didn't want someone to think I keep a journal of all of the books read. I wouldn't need this much paper for that anyway. But great price, great deal, always arrives greatly packaged and shipped. Completely wrapped in some kind of plastic, all wrapped together, never have been damaged or dirty. Have re-ordered several times.
3 people found this helpful
on May 19, 2015
I think the 12 pack is a good deal. Nice to order in bulk like that. I'm partial to marble notebooks over any other type. Since spiral notebooks, the spiral gets in my way or all bent out of shape, pages rip out by accident. I'd avoid the other bound ones with removable pages that are similar to spiral notebooks because THOSE PAGES WILL FALL OUT. I think these composition books are good if you want to make nice notes (especially in mathematics) that you want to keep for years after. I'm happy I was able to buy a years worth of them easily like this.
6 people found this helpful
on November 8, 2015
Not sure what happened this year but hardly any stores in our area had school supplies available in September. It seems they were all interested in early Halloween and for some even Christmas sales. This pack saved the day with prime shipping after the first days of school when my son realized what notebooks he would need for his senior year. All the other stores had one book for $4.95 or more so this pack at $12.49 was a steal. Although they all use iPads and laptops for lots of things, there is still the need for a good sturdy Mead.
3 people found this helpful
on February 2, 2015
The covers are not as sturdy as they used to be, and the paper isn't as heavy either. But other than that it's a decent composition book. The schedule at the beginning and charts at the end are nice for reference. I'm using it to take notes and write outlines for the CPA exam and it works great for that
review image
7 people found this helpful
on January 4, 2017
History
More than 20 years ago, Mead Composition books were everywhere in middle school. These were the laptops of the day and back then I used the first-generation Pilot V5 pen in conjunction with these notebooks. And now, more than 20 years later, I've found the Pilot Precise V5 Stick Rolling Ball Pens, Extra Fine Point, Blue Ink, Dozen Box (35335) and the updated Mead Composition Book, college ruled this time around, to be a perfect match for my use. I needed a notebook for making notes to myself, writing ideas, and taking inventory of life. I only recently found that "disposable writings" such as these are better suited to writing long hand, rather than electronically. And having used more expensive notebooks in the past, I found the current-generation Mead Composition book to work perfectly for me.

Compared to the others (Moleskine, Clairefontaine, Rhodia)
About a decade ago I started using other brands of notebooks, first it was Moleskine which was decent and had some nice touches. However, I cannot currently recommend the Moleskine Cahier Journal (Set of 3), Pocket, Ruled, Kraft Brown, Soft Cover (3.5 x 5.5): set of 3 Ruled Journals as the paper has become rather cheap and the price does not justify the quality, for my needs at least. The Mead Composition book has thicker pages and more quality feeling pages than the Moleskine notebooks, hands down. The same is true for the Moleskine monthly planner in the large size, it is a huge disappointment because the pages are thin and ink bleeds through.
Clairefontaine and Rhodia notebooks are top quality, buttery soft pages, solid bindings, made in France, and I highly recommend these notebooks if money is no object and the notebooks are being used for an important purpose. The quality is the highest I've found in notebooks, however, they are four to five times the price of the Mead Composition book and currently too much for my needs.

Best value out
I became interested in these Mead Composition books after seeing a crowdfunding campaign to bring back higher quality composition books. I learned about the rich history of the black and white cover of the original composition book decades ago. However, the crowdfunding price was nearly $20 for each notebook, so I found that for my use, the Mead Composition book is perfect. The cover isn't thick and hard like it was years ago, the pages are rather cheap, but they are thick thus preventing bleeding from my Pilot V5 pens. The pages do wrinkle easily, but I did count 100 pages, seeing how some other reviewers didn't have all 100 pages. The binding and durability doesn't seem that great, so I would give the quality of the notebook and pages 3 stars out of five, though it is fine for my needs.

tl;dr
While the more expensive French competition has much better quality, for a disposable/idea notebook for $1.99, the Mead Composition Book cannot be beat based on price and nostalgia factor. Highly recommended.
5 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Bakingon November 27, 2016
Purchased for Santa extras. We'll see how well received they are.
This is the first time I've done them. Used many when in school but not
for years. Don't really know why not. Good notebooks without wire
to catch on things. Nice size for brief case, back pack or at home/office
record keeping.
One person found this helpful
on September 29, 2017
I bought this thinking it was the composition book with the cardboard hard cover. Turns out they don't make those any more. It is a very flimsy notebook, which I HATE but it works as a notebook. Flimsy notebooks damage easier so don't write anything important in here because you will lose it eventually.
One person found this helpful