Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 17, 2011
This is more of a tutorial on how to set up your HDTV and PS3. I had a difficult time setting those up due to the fact that if you follow the instructions exactly the way they describe, it does not work. I had to figure it out through trial and error. So, inorder to minimize any frustrations of syncing your HDTV and PS3, follow these words exactly.

Syncing your remote with your PS3 is easy, you don't really need instructions but here it is...Simply go into your XMB under "Accessory Settings" under "Register BD Remote Control" and follow the onscreen prompt.
Now that's done, go into "System Settings" under "Control for HDMI" and turn if "OFF"!
The PS3 remote uses both Bluetooth technology as well as IR technology (Infrared).
Finally, point the remote directly to your HDTV and clear out any obstructions. Now, this is where it gets tricky. You must FIRST, HOLD DOWN the clear "TV" button which is under "DEVICES". Then SECOND, HOLD DOWN the "CLEAR" button under number 7 which is a "DOT". Hold down those two buttons for a few seconds then let go of the buttons. The clear "TV" button should be BLINKING! Now input the numbers listed on the back of the manual one by one. For example my Samsung is 301,302,303, and 304. Press (number), then press "ENTER" which is located on the very center of the remote. For me, 301 worked but I couldn't go into my TV's menu therefore I tried 302 and 303 and none of those worked at all however 304 worked perfectly. Programming your AMP is the same as your HDTV, just follow the above steps.

If you have your HDTV's correct number programmed, you should be able to change volumes without pressing the clear "TV" button everytime you want to change volumes. If you want to change any settings on your HDTV, you need to press the clear "TV" button under "DEVICES" and then press "TOP MENU" inorder to get into your TV settings. If you are satisfied with your TV settings and rarely go into your TV settings, then simply leave it on "PS3" so you can change your volume levels when watching movies or playing games.

This remote is very good and convenient and is definitely recommended. Wish it had illuminated buttons...
3939 comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 31, 2012
Lost my original PS3 remote when I moved 3 years ago. Since then when watching Bluray movies utilizing my PS3 160 GB console I've used the PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) which is somewhat difficult to use for that purpose.

This remote works very well with the PS3 console but is extremely limited as a universal remote (unless perhaps you have other Sony equipment). I have a Samsung TV but run everything through my Onkyo HT system. This remote will turn the TV on and off and can access a very few basic functions but can do nothing with the Onkyo HT receiver. So despite the improvements between the last generation and the current generation of the Sony Media/Blu-ray disc remote I still cannot put away any of my assortment of remotes

The star deductions are as follows:

1 star for limited functionality as a universal remote for tv's.
1 star deduct for not even attempting to have basic controls for HT systems/amplifiers unless, of course, you own Sony.
on September 27, 2015
I think I use my PS3 more as a media streaming box than as a game console. I mostly watch videos on Netlix and Crunchyroll, and I also stream content from my PC using Universal Media Server. With YouTube and the addition of Twitch, the PS3 offers all of the services I want and the experience is better than any smart TV I have used. My one gripe with the PS3's media experience is that I don't like using the DualShock 3. It's a fine controller for games (minus those L2/R2 shoulder buttons), but I do not think the media controls are very intuitive and you cannot operate it one-handed. You also cannot use it as a remote for your other devices. You'll need at least one more remote so you can turn your TV on, and possibly more for your cable box, sound system, etc. The PS3 Media Remote is not a perfect solution for everyone, but it's a big improvement over using the DualShock 3.

When I want to watch something, I first press the dedicated power button for the TV on the remote. Next, I push the PS3 button to put the remote in PS3 mode, followed by the PS button to boot up the console. Using the remote is great, and it works perfectly with the apps that I mentioned earlier. When I'm done, I turn off the console by holding down the PS button (the same way you do it with a DualShock 3), and then I turn the TV off with the same button I used to turn it on. Some reviewers have complained that their PS3 "mysteriously" boots up on its own, and they blame this remote. Frankly, it's their problem. You can only turn the console on by pushing the PS3 device button first, followed by any PlayStation-related button. I guess it could happen if the remote got stuck in your couch, but come on.

Setting the remote up took less than five minutes. I just followed the provided instructions to pair the remote with my PS3 and program it to work with my Vizio TV. Aesthetically, the remote is an inoffensive black bar that will fit in anyone's living room. It's pretty long, but it rests comfortably in your hand thanks to a groove on the back. If you put your index finger there, the remote balances in your hand with your thumb on the Enter button. This position is perfect for navigating through menus and controlling playback, but you can't reach the power buttons from there. It's also a hassle to reach the volume controls. This is one of the most common uses for a remote, so I really wish that the volume controls were placed somewhere better.

The build quality is acceptable. The major sign of cheapness is that some of the buttons, like the PS button, can be very squeaky when pressed. Another negative is that the edges on the navigation ring are pretty sharp, which can feel uncomfortable on your thumb. I still think that it's a higher quality remote than the one that came with my Vizio TV, though.

In conclusion, the PS3 Media Remote is a good buy. Despite my issues with the buttons and layout, the remote is worth the $20 if you want a better media experience from your PS3. I can understand some people being frustrated by its limited compatibility with sound systems, but then again, it's just a $20 remote. It's not meant to compete with things like the Logitech Harmony. For my simple setup, it's great.
on June 9, 2013
I use this almost every day. This remote is a must have if you own a PS3. The remote uses Bluetooth which is a very nice feature since you do not have to point it directly at the device to get it to work, the range is also excellent. Before buying this I tried to use the regular game controller as a Blu-Ray remote, but I found it terrible and odd feeling to do so.

You can get away with the game controller, but if you are a person that watches many movies, this is a must since it will make your viewing experience much better since you have many options.

Battery Life: The life of the batteries seem to last quite a long time with regular use. I would say that I get about 5-6 months out of the batteries.
on January 11, 2012
My Sony NX LED TV came with a large beautiful looking remote but after continuing to drop the remote over and over again, I began to search for a cheap remote I wouldn't mind dropping every once in a while as my remote was beginning to show signs of wear. I ran across this remote which was reasonably priced and I liked the idea of not having to use a joystick for my PS3.

First off the remote is looks similar to most Sony remotes and very light with mat plastic. My set up was super easy as I have a Sony tv, reciever and PS3 so it was a no brainer. I didn't even have to program the tv and receiver. The PS3 was simple, just had to go to the settings menu and link up the remote by pressing two buttons at the same time and it was registered. The remote controls every single setting for my tv and my receiver thus eliminating a need for two remotes and controller for the PS3! Super Convenient! After a little getting used to, I realize how cumbersome the PS3 controller is. I love being able to control everything with this one control.

In the end I got exactly what I wanted and more... I read other reviews stating ease of programming non Sony tv's so that being said, this is a must have accessory.
on January 26, 2017
It plays nice with my PS3 and my SHARP TV, but the interface is just a little wonky. I understand that you have to push the button to switch between devices you want to control, but there are some buttons that should just work. Like the TV power button just works. It automagically turn the TV on, but then it sets the remote to TV control mode. If I then press the PlayStation button, I would expect that the PS3 would turn on, but no. It doesn't do anything until I select the PS3 device select button. Then I can press the PlayStation button and it will turn on my PS3. It may seem like a minor thing, but it's just annoyingly unintutive enough to make me think, "what the heck Sony?" I mean they are charging a lot of money for a universal remote that isn't that awesome, they have a world class product development group, you have done years of user interface research. For the price and the rep, this should be a pleasant experience, not a minor annoyance.
on September 3, 2016
Although the PS4 can play things back just fine, the officially-authorized remote for it kind of sucks, so I'm continuing to use the PS3 for general DVD/Blu-Ray playing duties.

This remote pretty much can't be beat. It's refined, lasts a long time, and has all the buttons you need when navigating disc menus as well as the normal XMB interface... Including separate L1/2/3 and R1/2/3! Others have noted its "universal" control capabilities, but I tend to just use it for the PS3 and leave the other devices to their own.

Although it does have an IR port, it interfaces with the PS3 using Bluetooth, so it doesn't need line of sight to control things.

These are getting a little hard to find new in stores now, so if you're still using your regular game controller to play DVDs and Blu-Rays and use your streaming apps, you owe it to yourself to pick one up. If you have a friend who seems to be doing that still, get one for them too. They'll thank you for it later.
on October 21, 2016
A good improvement over the original PS3 remote - has RF so can operate TVs/receivers as well as the PS3. Light, easy to hold.

Small things that could be improved - first, the buttons that are obviously PS3 only (especially the big PS button in the middle, but also the "controller" buttons like the circle and square) should automatically work in "PS3" mode without having to press the tiny PS3 function button on the second row to "activate" PS3 mode. The volume, mute, and channel buttons all work in "TV" mode automatically without doing this - why would these single-function PS3 buttons be different? Second, the rows of square buttons in the middle don't have much to differentiate themselves when operating in low light or in the dark - I usually have to feel/count to find them, and sometimes I hit the wrong ones.
on January 12, 2012
We are reducing the number of components needed to get us by, so the PS3 has become our music/movie/TV(netflix)/game all-in-one device. The only downside is that my wife has the hardest time using the PS3 controller to navigate. For less than twenty bux, this was a great solution. We have a Bravia TV so the PS3 and it get along well with each other ;) We went basic, so theres no cable box, so this controller essentially controls everything but the stereo receiver.

Someone mentioned in another review that they needed to turn the PS3 on manually first then they everything was fine. I was able to turn on my PS3 by hitting the PS3 button at the top and then the round PS3 button in the middle and it kicked it on. Also, having Bravia Sync, the TV turns on and switches to the correct input automatically. It would have been nice to have basic control of my stereo receiver (on/off and volume), but I'm certainly better off than I was before.
on September 4, 2015
A very nice remote that has all of the buttons you'd expect when controlling a media player. Netflix supports it well also. I like how the volume control will adjust either the TV or the Receiver depending on whichever button you pressed last. I know gray-on-black is Sony Style(TM) and looks cool, but white-on-black would have been Legible In A Dark Room(TM). But I pretty quickly memorized where the pause button is, so I'm happy.

It's very nice to have dedicated buttons for things like aspect ratio and subtitles. It's sometimes very confusing that after pushing TV Power to turn the TV on, the remote won't control the PS3 until I push the PS3 button.

The unvirsal remote part of this remote (IR) will control my TV but not my Pioneer VSX-70 receiver, so I am a little sad about that. But they never said it was truly universal, so I can't really dock a star for that. And I wasn't able to make my Dish remote control the power on that receiver either. It's really on Pioneer.

I'm just glad I'm not bumping the shoulder buttons and skipping chapters any more. As remotes go it's actualy very nice. Considering that you don't have any other options, that's REALLY nice.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.