Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 421 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 439 reviews
on March 21, 2012
Just a quick primer on different kinds of network throughput:

Wireless standard 802.11g can support about 54 megabits per second, while the more recent 802.11n standard goes up to 300 Mbps. Wired Ethernet connections using Cat 5e cable can safely support 100 megabits per second and might be able to go higher. Wiring with Cat 6 can support up to 1,000 megabits per second. And Internet downlink speeds for companies like Comcast are in the range of 20-25 megabits per second ( some vendors might be higher). Network controllers are also a constraint, with older controllers supporting 54 Mbps (wireless) and 100 Mbps (wide) and newer controllers supporting 300 Mbps (wireless) and 1,000 Mbps (wired).

What does this mean? Basically, for home networks, whether you go wireless or wired, Cat 5e or Cat 6, you're still likely to have throughput capacity that exceeds what your Internet service provider is using. So you really can't go wrong. Commercial networks have different considerations, which I'm not addressing here.

My own home network supports in the range of 6-8 devices. The split is pretty even between those devices that are hardwired and those that are wireless. I use cabling where I want to be absolutely certain I have enough throughput capacity to support things like large downloads and video or audio streaming. That tends to mean hardwiring my desktop, my Ethernet-ready Blu-Ray player, and my Roku box. Everything else is wireless.

For me, Ethernet cabling has become a generic commodity where price and convenience trump more technical considerations. I have cables from MediaBridge, RiteAV, and Cables To Go. They're all pretty much the same in that they are soundly constructed, have decent connectors, are snagless, are not susceptible to crosstalk or other interference, etc. Being able to pick different colors is, for me, more important than a specific brand. Also, I tend to buy Cat 6 these days although there is really no noticeable difference in throughput no matter what spec I am using.

These cables are fine. If you decide to go wired rather than wireless, they are a good choice. I purchase cables of 3-6 feet to link equipment on the same rack, 9-12 feet for units alongside my controller, 20 feet for units across the room from the controller, and 50 feet for units in the next room. This is for a two-bedroom apartment. Different colors help me to distinguish between the different network links.

I hope this helps.
55 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2017
Works great. Good construction, don't anticipate having any quality issues with it being bend. Fast speeds, works great with connecting devices directly to my internet router.
on December 11, 2012
I bought several of these, each in different colors. The long blue 25-footer, I got for my most remote computer, because I won't use wireless and I won't network. This red one, I got for a computer in the next room. I also got the beige, black, and yellow ones. Each color references its size. Handy way to organize.

MORE: Since XFINITY only allows one box, I have to disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet cable per computer. It's no big deal, like turning on a lightswitch, because I placed the modem box Comcast provides, centrally. So the only issue was to get different lengths and colors of cords.

So, each machine has its own 'color' cable plugged into its back, and then five or six computers all have their cords 'string' to the modem box. So I just lift the modem box when putting a given computer online, unplug one cable to the other computer(s), and plug in the one I want to use. Simpler than going offline via computer commands. Sometimes low-tech is better. :)

It's kinda handy too, because when rendering a video or doing backup, I don't want to be online with that machine, and it's a hassle to click and manipulate My Network to turn it off. Better to just unplug from the modem. Again, with XFINITY/Comcast, since you are limited to one box, if you don't want to mess with or learn network connecting/routers/etc. this is an easy solution for multiple computers around the house/apartment. So the colors, matter.

I don't like the rubberized cover that protects the plastic Ethernet connector, but the people who designed these must have felt it important for a reason.
on October 8, 2015
I have another Media bridge Cat5 cable that is 100ft, I needed another that was shorter and I was happy with the 100ft cable so I decided to stay with the same brand. I am using this cable to connect mu Wii to my router for a wired in internet connection. It is accomplishing this goal quite well, as I am having no connectivity issues.

I choose Mediabridge for my cable needs now, cost and quality cannot be beat.

Like my 100ft cable, my only complaint is the locking clip cover is a little large and can get in the way sometimes but is easily moved out the way or dealt with. Does not effect function at all.
on August 26, 2013
Speeds are great, the color is great so i wont get it confused with other office eithernet cables. comes in a nice storage box that actually fits great in my backpack. Pretty happy with it overall. I have nothing negative to say what so ever about it. Side note actually- was a little bummed that i payed what i did in standard shipping as it matched the cost of the actual cable.... other than that it was great.
on October 20, 2012
This cable does what it is supposed to do. It is available in variable lengths and it works. I wish it were available in more subtle colors. The red is a bit garish and does not blend in nicely with the other cables that seem to accumulate at the rear end of the various black boxes that make up a television and computer network. This is an esthetic issue rather than a functional issue and I am into function over esthetics, at times much to my wife's chagrin.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 4, 2015
I have two shelfs that server gear sit on in my house. They are about 7 feet away. For permeant run patch cables I make my own that are exactly the proper length, but I ordered two of these to be "test" cables to be used temporarily. I chose to buy instead of make because when I make my own cables they plugs don't have an "easy disconnect" tab. That's not a problem for permanent use, but for testing that's an inconvenience.

These patch cables solve a problem that is really no big deal, but they save me just a little bit of hassle so I guess they are worth it.
on April 4, 2017
I am extending my computer capabilities because WiFi is so limited. The cables really help
on September 17, 2012
I ordered a 50-feet cable and a 15-feet cable and I'm very happy with my two cables! The cables look and feel like high-quality product. I don't know much about "cables" but I know everyone recommends Cat5e so I purchased them. This was my first time buying a cable but I'm certain I (as always) made the a great purchase.

I trust the quality and reliability of these cables.

Happy customer. +5 stars
on April 23, 2017
Not much to say...it's a durable, sturdy Ethernet Cable that works.