Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 189 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 198 reviews
on September 19, 2016
They worked on improving Rome TW, and it shows. The economy's been tweaked so you don't pile up massive amounts of useless money-- you have to budget the whole time. Your troops aren't insanely powerful (but you can still "win" the game within about two dozen moves, and have a few hundred left to go). There's a lot of factions, with their own distinctive paths to safety, then world-dominance. The AI can do amphibious assaults, unlike Rome; Portugal tries to put troops in Britain...

Which brings us to the problems. If you're playing as England, you haven't even talked to Portugal. Their neighbors are the Moors-- why aren't they fighting them? Or you have an alliance, sealed with marriage. The little note says your relations are "very good". They're weaker than you are. Two turns later, they're attacking you with no provocation or warning.

The diplomatic aspect is pretty non-existent. Aside from developing a good relation with the Pope, and getting people off your back by allying with their friends, diplomacy is useless. You can't tell anyone to get out of your territory-- there's no option for it. And it's not predictable enough for strategic planning. You just have to assume anyone on the board can attack you at any time-- even if you're stronger, or allied with them, or you haven't even made contact yet. (You might be able to bribe them, or more likely get an annoyingly self-righteous refusal. Even if you can crush them. "How DARE you offer us money?!" Some little four-unit stack.)

Second, the tracking on the big map is too wild. It veers uncontrollably. You can damp it down with a mousepad but even reading the info screens makes the map scoot around, and trying to fix it gives you this ping-pong effect, which gets really tiresome. It would be nice if the map would hold still.

In short, it's an improvement on the already-great Rome, but with a couple things that get frustrating.
on January 30, 2011
As a long-time TW:Rome fan, I was a little slow to get around to purchasing this. Medieval II closely resembles Rome, but offers several improvements in game play. The improvement in graphics is subtle, but nonetheless noticeable. My favorite feature is that you can queue up unit and building purchases even if you lack funds in your current turn. This reduces the time spent on micromanaging your cities. The strategy element is also more nuanced - with priests, merchants, princesses, the pope, crusades, and of course spies and diplomats. Dealing with the Pope is especially enjoyable (or sometimes dangerous). I also enjoy using early gunpowder - it adds a new element, particularly to siege warfare, yet without being totally dominant.

The game has been very stable. The only drawback, in my opinion, is that it lacks the variety of cultures and units that Rome had. This homogeneity of cultures is not a problem as such (it is more historically accurate that different Medieval civilizations utilized the same tactics, especially a heavier emphasis on cavalry). Nonetheless, it gets to be kind of the same thing a little quicker, because you're using essentially the same kinds of units and tactics against everyone you conquer, especially in the West. It just doesn't have the vast differences that Rome had between the Gauls, the Greeks, the Romans, the Parthians, Carthaginians, the Thracians, the Egyptians, etc..., who each had very unique armies. This is somewhat ameliorated in the Americas campaign, which features the unique Aztecs and the Mayans, but fighting against them seems like cheating. They suffer from the plague, they have no cavalry, no siege equipment to speak of, no navy or ports to blockade, and generally just have to rely upon numbers against the Spanish. So yet again, its historically accurate, but not necessarily the best game play. The battles of Medieval II also seem to take a bit longer, perhaps because the heavier armor provides more protection than most units in Rome.

These are all minor quibbles though. The game is very enjoyable.
on March 3, 2012
This is a good, solid entry in the strategy genre, though it does have a few minor blemishes that could and should have been fixed.

First, the good: The graphics are excellent, the ambient music delightful. You really do feel as if you are running a medieval kingdom. This is more than building armies and sending them off to kill things and take their treasure (though it does have an engaging, realistic combat system if that's your thing). Political and economic considerations are also paramount. This game is definitely worth the price of admission.

The bad: Sometimes the play system and rules show signs of perhaps not being tested quite enough. For example, a character can have both "Smart" and "Ignorant" attributes. When I had one of my priests try and denounce a heretic, the odds the first time he tried were 25%. I failed. I tried again. Odds 25%. And a third time--same odds, nothing happened. Seems to me my odds of success should have gone down each time, with perhaps some penalty attaching to my priest after the second or third failed attempt. The idea of having merchants develop and trade resources on the map was great--but then it was undermined by making it too easy for rival merchants to displace your merchant--even on your own territory. And while the game's treatment of female characters improved a notch from Rome: Total War, your princesses basically become unpeople once they marry: all they can do is have a child or die. I would have liked to see more improvement here.

But these are pecadilloes or relatively minor flaws. If you like empire-building and strategy games, don't let them hold you back.
on February 18, 2014
I picked up this game on a whim. Considering how Sega has mostly bastardized the Total War series (Empire anyone?), my expectations where rather modest. They were shattered in ten minutes of playing.
The tutorial was great. Simple and to the point, and it let me relax a bit, having never played a Medieval game before. Graphics are vastly improved from other titles, and the part where you can see each individual soldier taking damage really helped with immersion. The campaign map is well-built and makes playing fun. I especially love the fact that there are two basic "settlement paths". Altogether, grand strategy and full-stack battles are easy to pull off, given the multiple-units-in-a-turn recruitment system, a huge bonus.
However, a few bugs, while not game-breaking, provided some annoyance. For instance, if you have multiple buildings in a settlement building queue, they will start acting like vampires, severely impacting your economy, despite the fact that A: they aren't being built, and B: your little finances sheet doesn't project them. This can be a pain when trying to keep a stable economy going.
on September 13, 2011
When I found Medieval II: Total War, I was looking for a game a lot like the old Westwood games like Red Alert 2 or a game like Stronghold 2. This game is much better. Overall, a very worthwhile purchase for any war strategy/economy management game lover!

PROS

Excellent graphics. I went from Stronghold 2 to this game and I was blown away by how each soldier has random bits of armor. I can't play Stronghold after this game. The soldiers aren't blocky clones of each other. They also make slashes and dodges at enemy soldiers, but they aren't always lined up with the enemy soldier when they're striking, but it looks much more lifelike than 30 soldiers crammed into a single square like Stronghold 2!! Walking and movement is very lifelike.

Easy interface. No important buttons stuck in odd locations. The interface is quite nice to use and is easy to learn.

Simplified battle command experience. No overwhelming floods of randomly moving soldiers. Soldiers are trained in companies of 20-75 men which can be commanded as a group or placed into a formation. Often, they spread out realistically and attack enemies on their own. These companies can be custom grouped into larger companies.

Custom battles. Create sieges and choose the soldiers for yourself and for your enemy. Relive historical battles.

Variety of soldiers. Choose from spearmen, siege engines, archers, cavalry, and even elephants and more.

Grand Campaign. This was truly the thing that absolutely impressed me. You see the entire map of Europe, divided into territories which trade between each other. Natural resources can be taken advantage of with merchants. Assassins, spies, diplomats, and priests can be used strategically to spread your influence and stop or start wars with other factions, even assassinate the general of an army. Alliances can be created and strengthened. Your princesses can outwit Generals and bring them to your side. You can choose from 6 factions and you're fighting around 10-20ish Catholic and Muslim nations. You have a reputation you have to keep up with the Pope and other nations.

Development of technology. IT starts you out around 1080 AD and you can play through the black plague and other events in history, though they do not control the game.

CONS

No sea battles. A drawback. You can still attack other fleets but you don't get to move the individual units around like you can with land battles.

AI's can be a little dumb sometimes, even on the highest difficulty; but they are still very formidable
on July 23, 2013
I originally bought this game because it looked awesome, epic, and the graphics weren't too high that my PC would bog down. When I bought the download of the game, I got the product code, put it in, let it download, and started the game.

When I got into the game to play a quick match, my computer was lagging horrible. I went to the graphics options and found that the settings were set to high. I put them to low and started another game. This time it ran smooth, but looked really bad. The visuals were not even close to high graphics, and were just disgusting.

I love this game though even though the graphics on my computer stink. The game is epic and has it's moments.

I would suggest buy it, but just know to have the quality of that trailer above, you need a beefed up computer.
on March 9, 2017
A fun age to play in. Some mechanics are not the best but only minor problems. Numerous factions to play as with many different units and play styles. Still holds up to newest total war games.
on October 18, 2015
If you like old computer games, this is a must have. The countless factions you can play as, along with the ever changing nature of the game, gives a ton of replay value. The camera is difficult to work with during the actual battlefield deployment, but it is still workable. If you don't want to play a game where you are tactically deploying troops, never fear. There is an "auto resolve" button for battles, which will statistically determine who wins. As such, you can play the game through just as a building, political development game and still have tons of fun.
on June 20, 2013
I don't really know how to rate this game since I only played it twice. Since I downloaded it I've been having problems with my computer, It's not this game's fault. I think there's some kind of conflict with my virus program and another program. I haven't narrowed the problem down yet. It started happening when Norton Anti Virus updated to a new version. Now something is overloading my memory and causing my computer to shut down.

I was really looking forward to playing this game. The download was taking forever. I had to pause it and restart the download which fixed the problem. I only got as far as the second half of the tutorial before my computer started dying on me. Again, it's not this games fault. I just my old computer. I can't play games or stream videos or my computer shuts down. All I can do is open a browser and surf the internet. Oh wee, time to buy a new machine.
on July 5, 2011
If you enjoy turn based strategy games this is an excellent game. Great survey of medieval history, cultures, commerce, religion, diplomacy, war and nation building. I've owned disc based versions of this game and got tired of repairing the scratches. When I have a weekend to kill or need a good strategy fix I love to pull this up and try to keep Spain from getting wiped off the map by the Moors and France. It, like the Civ series, can steal time from you though so beware. I set a kitchen timer to keep me from dying of starvation or forgetting to sleep. The game is great and I'd give it 5 stars if it had a timer like some others out there, also the in battle mode (while fun) is still a bit cumbersome at times - resulting in me auto-playing the battles about 80% of the time. Definitely worth the $10 download - never had an issue with install on XP, Vista or Win 7.

Peace.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.