Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meditation For Dummies (Book and CD edition)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on January 27, 2011
I have read many many books in the past decades, much too much as I know today... Anyway, I read this book in 2002 for the first time and it turned out to be the most important lecture in my life. I started my meditation with the help of this guide, and it saved my life!

Soon before I considered to commit suicide due to extremely tinnitus for more than six years, and nobody could help me. Nobody gave me the clue to try out a relaxing method, I had to discover that by myself. With meditation I got relief after three months or so and in the end I put tinnitus under control totally. Since October 2002 I am meditating day by day, meditation became an essential part of my life.

There were (and are) so many mediation guides but this one is simply the best for me, yet the very first page caught me. One of the most important things in my humble opinion is that this author dispels doubts of us western people who are in a way "afraid" of such a strange eastern technique.

I was so grateful then that I wrote a mail to Stephan who was delighted and said that he needs such feedbacks. By the way - my review on this book at german amazon is top rated, I am happy that my experiences encourage people who are suffering from tinnitus to try out this guide!

Thanks again, Stephan!

Christoph from Black Forest in Germany

Sorry for my English which is definitely not perfect...

;-)
on July 10, 2007
I purchased "Meditation for Dummies" several years ago, when I wasn't really sure just what meditation was or what type of meditation might be best for me - and even now, all these years later, I consider it the best meditation book I've purchased to date!

Unlike most of the books on meditation out there today - which tend to focus solely on one type - this one covers a wide range of different ways to meditate, including information concerning how that form of meditation came to be & easy step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Through the use of icons, this book is structured in such a way that you can easily find information concerning:

1. Brief refreshing meditation exercises
2. Things to remember
3. Philosophical "musings"
4. Tips on how to make your meditations easier & more effective
5. Traditional wisdom - wisdom from groups who've been meditating for
thousands of years

Also, depending on where you are in your meditation practice, you can easily find the chapters that deal with:

1. What meditation is & other general info.
2. How to get started
3. Troubleshooting & fine-tuning your meditation practice
4. How to use meditation throughout the day
5. Answers to the most frequently asked questions

Overall, this book provides you with everything you need to begin &/or expand your meditation practice - and it does so in an easy-to-understand, fun way! I can't recommend it highly enough!
on January 3, 2007
This book launched me into doing meditation on a regular basis. The book is very straightforward and easy to follow. Within a short period of time I was listening to the CD and meditating. I've since graduated to meditating for 20-45 minutes a day and it's made a huge difference in my life. I highly recommend this book.
on October 24, 2004
Well, what can I say? I loved this book. It's fairly long - 300 pages - which may discourage some potential readers, but what you learn is worth every moment of your time and cent of your money. A well-written introduction to Meditation, which I found extremely useful even before I finished reading it. If you're looking for a book on meditation, get THIS ONE!
VINE VOICEon January 11, 2007
Simple. To the point. Lots of recommendations. Easy to read. What more could you ask for on the subject of meditation? Nothing. If you need a starting off point to learn how to meditate, then this is the book for you. Great value for all the info in it!
on June 13, 2008
This book was a required text for a class I took recently. Before reading it, I had discounted the book for some reason. Maybe because it was a 'dummy' book. I could not have been more wrong. It is formatted in an easy to read, fun layout. You can choose to get a basic overview of the section, or delve a little deeper. I was surprised at the accuracy and volume of information. Note that this is an excellent resource for a person just starting meditation or for someone who is blocked and needs a little 'oomph' to get back on track.
on February 23, 2006
This book really covers all bases for someone new to meditation. Included are many methods of meditation, various approaches to meditation and much more. It's easy to skip around and select the parts of the book that work best for you.
on July 21, 2011
This book is great for a beginner or a seasoned veteran. It is broken down into easily understood sections.
You can jump to what you are looking for or read it chapter by chapter. As I said it is a great reference for the beginner or a veteran. The added CD is a nice bonus for those who choose to meditate with guidance.
on September 23, 2007
Excellent book for beginners like myself! A good balance of theory and practice. I really liked how the author described different types of meditation techniques. I experimented with all of them and picked the ones that worked for me. I would highly recommend this book!
on September 6, 2014
This book surprised me mostly because of it being a for "Dummies" edition. This clearly written book is a comprehensive introduction on the subject of meditation and the many types of meditation. Its many meditation exercises that you can do on your own open the doorway to regular practice. The CD was disappointing, not in quality, but because the meditations are not recorded in separate tracks. This makes it is less usable if you want to pick and choose a certain meditation to do with the CD. For that reason, I gave it 4 stars rather than 5. I would still purchase the book even knowing this and would recommend it to anyone interested in getting started with meditation or engaging in a more regular and rewarding meditation practice.