Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Meditation for Relaxation: 60 Meditative Practices to Reduce Stress, Cultivate Calm, and Improve Sleep Paperback – May 28, 2019
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
From the Publisher
60 Meditations to cultivate calm, release stress, and sleep.
We normally smile because of how something makes us feel. A smile is an external expression of an internal emotion. But is it possible to create happiness or a sense of relaxation just by smiling? In my experience, it is absolutely possible. This meditation is great for turning around the heavy feeling of having a bad day, shedding hard-to-shake stress, or preparing for an important meeting, moment, or interaction
1. Find a comfortable seated position, ideally somewhere where you won’t feel self-conscious about anyone seeing you.
2. Soften your gaze or gently close your eyes.
3. Bring your attention to your breath, following each exhale and inhale for several complete cycles.
4. Pay attention to the sensation of the breath, identifying a particular place in your body—in your nostrils, at the back of your ribs, under your sternum—where the sensation feels pleasant. Focus on that sensation
5. Gently begin to smile. Smile broadly, but without force. Do not create tension in your facial muscles. Smile as you would naturally, without even trying.
6. As thoughts arise, notice them, accept them, and let them go. Your brain might try to distract you by saying things like This is weird. What am I doing? Or your brain might match your smile by offering a funny or happy thought, or it might protest by saying something like This is fake, I’m actually not happy. I’m upset about . . . . Whatever your brain does, notice it and then let it pass.
7. Maintain a steady, comfortable rhythm with your breath and maintain a steady, gentle smile for the next few minutes.
8. As you conclude this practice and reenter your daily routine, notice whether you smile more quickly or more broadly. Notice whether you feel a little happier, a little lighter, or more confident.
“Adam O’Neil has provided us with an authentic rendition of the ‘why’ behind meditation. He has provided a diverse group of simple practices that would be perfect for the beginner and equally helpful to those currently practicing meditation. I highly recommend.”—Johnny Gillespie CSCS, Founder of Balanced Athlete
“As a Reiki Master, I see many clients who are seeking relief from the stress of their busy lives. This book captures the essence of calm with effective (and super fun!) small meditations. Adam offers plenty of variety making it a useful resource for newbies to experts and everyone in between.”—April Pfender, Owner of Santa Monica Healing and author of Chakra Balance: The Beginner's Guide to Healing Body and Mind
“In Meditation for Relaxation, Adam O'Neill offers wellbeing seekers a precious gift. The book gently guides readers through brief, doable meditation exercises in a variety of styles. Meditation can sometimes be frustrating. O'Neill has replaced frustration with meditations that are meaningful and practical.”—Tanya J. Peterson MS NCC, author of The Mindfulness Workbook for Anxiety and The Mindfulness Journal for Anxiety
"Meditation for Relaxation succeeds where so many other books fail. It takes an incredibly effective, scientifically proven method and makes it accessible to even the most skeptical practitioner. Whether you are looking for a brief timeout from the bustle of everyday life, need a moment to collect your thoughts before engaging with the day or settling your mind before you sleep, Meditation for Relaxation has a variety of practice that will calm your soul."―Rannoch Donald, Founder of 100 Rep Challenge
About the Author
ADAM O’NEILL is the CEO of YFM.tv, a company born from the merger of Broga® Yoga (which he co-founded) and Yoga for Men. YFM is an abbreviation of “Yoga. Fitness. Mindfulness.” Adam lives on a small farm in central New York with his wife, Anya, daughter, Maeve, and their dog, cat, goats, and chickens.
- Item Weight : 10.4 ounces
- Paperback : 160 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1641523956
- ISBN-13 : 978-1641523950
- Product Dimensions : 5.8 x 0.5 x 8.2 inches
- Publisher : Althea Press (May 28, 2019)
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #191,014 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Top reviews from other countries
If you're stressed, tired etc, give it a go, meditation really can change your life