Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,326 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,569 reviews
on July 23, 2016
Amazon lumps different translations together as merely variations on how the book is delivered. In this case, the Hays translation is the hardcover, while the authors who translated the paperback and Kindle versions aren't specified. So use the tools available (look inside, free sample) to get an idea of the language used by the author and see if it's something you'd like to read, or if a different translation suits you better.
33 comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2013
I don't know who did the translation for this one but I found it very difficult to follow. This prompted me to look around and I found another translation by George Long (Thoughts of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus 1862). Even though it's not a recent translation, Long's version is often easier to understand. Compare the translations of the first paragraph for example:

This version:

Of my grandfather Verus I have learned to be gentle and meek, and to refrain from all anger and passion. From the fame and memory of him that begot me I have learned both shamefastness and manlike behaviour. Of my mother I have learned to be religious, and bountiful; and to forbear, not only to do, but to intend any evil; to content myself with a spare diet, and to fly all such excess as is incidental to great wealth. Of my great-grandfather, both to frequent public schools and auditories, and to get me good and able teachers at home; and that I ought not to think much, if upon such occasions, I were at excessive charges.

George Long's version:

From my grandfather Verus I learned good morals and the government of my temper. From the reputation and remembrance of my father, modesty and a manly character. From my mother, piety and beneficence, and abstinence, not only from evil deeds, but even from evil thoughts; and further, simplicity in my way of living, far removed from the habits of the rich. From my great-grandfather, not to have frequented public schools, and to have had good teachers at home, and to know that on such things a man should spend liberally.

Having said this however, it's still worth comparing both translations which are free on the Kindle.
1818 comments| 494 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2016
I've read three versions of the book (Dover Thrift, Penguin Classics, and Hays') the dover thrift and penguin classics were more personal and it seems like Marcus is actually talking to you through time, the way how these 2 books were written was designed to approach the reader on the deeper level. The Hays translation is more straight forward, blunt and because of this the book loses its emotional connectivity to readers but it will be more easier to read
on May 4, 2017
Marc Aurélie était peut-être révolutionnaire pour son temps. Mais aujourd'hui, ses déclarations, parfois contradictoires d'un texte à l'autre, sont d'un convenu lassant. Je suis contant d'avoir téléchargé ces textes. Et heureux d'en avoir arrêté la lecture fastidieuse. Pour me faire une idée personnelle sur cette icône universelle !
on May 11, 2014
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

“The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard, accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.”

Before I get into details, I must say that reading Meditations was one of the hardest, but most rewarding experiences in my own personal growth. The book has done so much to ferment my prior beliefs and has helped a lot to broaden my mind and encourage me to be all that I can be.

It is very difficult in today’s world to believe in anything, whether it be divine beings, other people, or even ourselves. It is an epidemic that buries potential and love deep down and leaves anger and frustration to dictate life.

There is no reason to feel unhappy, unfulfilled, or unappreciated , and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius offers advice to anyone who is looking for self help, self love, and a rational way of directing life.

Before reading this book it is interesting to know the man that wrote it. Marcus Aurelius was the last of The Five Good Emperors of Ancient Rome. He took the title of Augustus after the death of his adopted father, Antoninus Pius, the adopted son of the late Emperor Hadrian.

However Marcus Aurelius had tried to pass on the emperorship, for he prefered a much more simple philosophic lifestyle. He accepted the honor with the sole demand that Lucius Verus, his adopted brother, would share the seat with him.

Sharing his seat of power is the one move that summarizes Marcus Aurelius’s entire life; the fear of power and the duty embedded in him through his interest in Stoicism, a philosophy that grounds itself on self-restraint, reason, and fate.

His work is a reflection of his life, and the words inscribed in Meditations are the product of his own thoughts and his own experiences. While reading this book good feelings will begin to surface through introspection, and in turn bad feelings will be expelled.

In my everyday life quotes from his book swim in my mind when I am met with difficult situations, and they enable me to make smarter more thought out and rational decisions. It is fascinating and rewarding each time I don’t simply act on impulse.

This book is not for entertainment, not for adventure, and it is definitely not a “light read.” It is a book that will help those who seek help, irritate those who don’t, and fascinate those who wish to learn and grow.
22 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2017
A great read with lots of powerful nuggets of wisdom which can literally be meditated upon. This book is different in that the reader doesn't necessarily have to pick up where they left off, nor having to read all quotes in series, book to book(chapters) or cover to cover. This is my first Dover Thrift Edition book and found nothing lacking in quality or readability...it's basically up to par as with any quality soft cover book. I'd love to see more books available in low cost editions like this. Although I love and embrace technology to a large extent, when it comes to books, I still prefer traditional paper-printed over the E-ink versions. My order was from the seller Brooks Books and pleased with the service. Delivery was earlier than expected, brand new and perfect condition. Thanks
on June 10, 2017
Excellent book. It certainly draws one to the original Romen republic. Long before the perverted and tyrannical emperors destroyed it.

Marcus talks of simple human nature. Much like the Socratic and Aristotle views from antiquity.

Funny how cyclical it is, we are in times now where we are to pretend we are something we are not. When we should simply be what we are called for...

Cheers
on December 29, 2015
This is a book that any erudite person should read. It is a basic foundation for philosophical reflection. It is a guide for how to live with values and virtues that are sustaining and uplifting. I highly recommend it. It is easy to read, or it can be a complex existential formulaic journey. It is what you bring to it. Mostly, it is empowering for those who seek to be contributing members of society, and captivating reading for anyone who wants to make sense of their humanitarian potential.
review image
on December 9, 2012
I've only recently been introduced to Stoicism, but I've found Meditations to contain incredible insights into the nature of the universe. Conveying several concepts that are similar to Buddhist ideas, Aurelius stresses the importance of understanding that everything changes, that our negative experiences are a result of the interpretations of events rather than the events themselves, and that we are all a part of a whole system and our failure to realize this causes unnecessary suffering. He encourages humility and living according to the laws of the universe. This will definitely be a book that I will read regularly in the future.

As far as the translation is concerned, it is clear and seems to accurately reflect the original message (though I've only briefly compared different translations).
This is an exceptional, clear, and highly readable translation of the timeless classic. Gregory Hays' new, modernized translation makes this version of the Marcus Aurelius work more easily accessible for a new and younger generation of readers. It's a nicely designed and organized edition, as well, and at a terrific price. Very highly recommended.